• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Culture

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Really? I've heard differently, even in Italy. Then again culture in Italy is kind of separated so much in all the regions that if you go one place it probably doesn't mean the same thing in the other.

The point is that a smile is free. For no reason. And it's not an invitation to get closer (as it is in Latin America -- is that the case in Spain?), it's merely to tell them that you're all there and not bleeding profusely or anything else panic-inducing.

Ah uhm dunno, here I guess people are more likely to smile when you strike up casual conversation with them, for example when waiting in line somewhere, at class, or in the train. Not just going around smiling at everybody, right

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Well I could sum up the difference between Americans and Finns with these

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWVxHEaWDU"]American Complaints (Chicago)[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXV3DzKv68"]Finnish Complaints[/YOUTUBE]

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, after much research, I think I have found two things:

1. superstition

2. desire to "fix" things

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
After doing a search on Billy Joel and his type ( I always thought ISTP) I was astounded to find endless responses about depression, decay, things people don't do any more, whatever, it was horrible. ..Billy Joel did the 50s, early 60s, but that was cool in the 80s, like Cry Baby and Edward Scissorhands.

I dk, this is as American to me as Lynard Skynard, and Nirvana, I didn't know until today people wanted to commit suicide over Piano Man.

I'm kinda reeling in the years here, and outside my generation. I remember memorizing We Didn't Start the Fire. I thought this was a safe choice, now I'm a bit scared.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm curious about what people would define as uniquely "American" culture, independently of any particular region.

When I look at it and average out anything unusual between different regions and eras, the picture that appears is rather bland. I mostly see 18th century European enlightenment ideals modified by Protestantism, along with a mildly localized form of British traditions from that period. And lots of modern technology and "new age" ideas that seem to be permeating the globe thrown on top of it all. The flavor seems very generic, mostly all that you can tell is that we're a Western culture with a hint of diluted British and Protestant flavor.

One thing a lot of people cite is the idea of valuing the individual, freedom, equality, and democracy, but many of those things are from as far back as Greece or the Enlightenment. You might say that "Well, they were biased because they didn't apply those ideals to women and blacks," but to be honest, America didn't either at first. So clearly, this sort of thing is not uniquely an example of American culture, but is part of our shared heritage with the Western world at large.

So far, the only uniquely American idea I've found is the idea that we're a "melting pot," and not any kind of single, homogeneous group.

So, what else would you say applies to American culture as a whole, that isn't related to a specific region, and isn't shared with Western/European/English civilization as a whole? I find myself having trouble thinking of such qualities, except perhaps for the strong Protestant influence.

It's possible that I'm too close to the problem. Maybe people from outside the U.S. could help us note a few?

Consequences-of-fast-food.jpg

simpsons-american-idol-funny-picture.jpg

funny.jpg

SJW.png

democracy-time_o_2260507.jpg

72-650x650.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Consequences-of-fast-food.jpg

simpsons-american-idol-funny-picture.jpg

funny.jpg

SJW.png

democracy-time_o_2260507.jpg

72-650x650.jpg

You and me would agree if you didn't fantasize that Donald Trump was an intelligent man. And I must hold you completely accountable for that.

You mistake my position which doesn't surprise me :dry:. I don't fantasize or even endorse DT. If you read all my posts on Trump they haven't been explicitly supporting him as 'my ideal candidate.' Rather I corrected the misinformation I perceived posted here about him and backed up my responses with sources.

Given that I see him as a better choice than Cruz, Kasich, Hillary, and yes , even Bernie but that doesn't mean I worship the dude or praise all of his shit.

Make sense?

No, actually no. He's a fucking moron who isn't qualified to be president and only marginally intelligent people would ever vote for such a delusional moron. So no. There's absolutely no Trump argument, even from an aside.

It's like lol you're retarded. Its like listening to a fat girl having trouble breathing when she goes to sleep and wishing you could make her go vegan.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
You and me would agree if you didn't fantasize that Donald Trump was an intelligent man. And I must hold you completely accountable for that.

You mistake my position which doesn't surprise me :dry:. I don't fantasize or even endorse DT. If you read all my posts on Trump they haven't been explicitly supporting him as 'my ideal candidate.' Rather I corrected the misinformation I perceived posted here about him and backed up my responses with sources.

Given that I see him as a better choice than Cruz, Kasich, Hillary, and yes , even Bernie but that doesn't mean I worship the dude or praise all of his shit.

Make sense?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

No, actually no. He's a fucking moron who isn't qualified to be president and only marginally intelligent people would ever vote for such a delusional moron. So no. There's absolutely no Trump argument, even from an aside.

It's like lol you're retarded. Its like listening to a fat girl having trouble breathing when she goes to sleep and wishing you could make her go vegan.

"He's a fucking moron" is not a real argument. Just rage. Utter dribble and a pathetic attempt at humor. :huh:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION] was that rep intended for me a moment ago? Something about there being more intelligent people than me in isolated tribes in Africa? You know I supported Bernie, right? I never overtly said I support Trump and I think it's well known I'm voting third party if Hillary is nominated.

Gauge people's intelligence by their political choices. Very classy.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION] was that rep intended for me a moment ago? Something about there being more intelligent people than me in isolated tribes in Africa? You know I supported Bernie, right? I never overtly said I support Trump and I think it's well known I'm voting third party if Hillary is nominated.

Gauge people's intelligence by their political choices. Very classy.

She loves to talk out of her ass jumping to conclusions about people. Brags about her ability to know how to read social media, yet cant see the person in front of her for her abstract projections that are truth because the media told me so.

I lack intelligence too ;) its obvious by my name calling as opposed to my objective reality i just used above

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
She loves to talk out of her ass jumping to conclusions about people. Brags about her ability to know how to read social media, yet cant see the person in front of her for her abstract projections that are truth because the media told me so.

I lack intelligence too ;) its obvious by my name calling as opposed to my objective reality i just used above

If any of that is true then it wouldn't be the first time a person was run through the processing plants of academia coming out the other side with 'lofty intelligence,' a chip on their shoulder, and an "I'm smarter then you because degree from big university" attitude. :coffee:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It's those little oddities you find at the side of the road isn't it? The USA is a large place.

And to drive across it is a large undertaking. So what better way to represent this than to have small and oddly specific roadside attractions. I think, though this is not something unique to America in terms of history, it is certainly unique in form and profligacy when compared with others.

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Maybe it's an age thing. It's a relatively new country from a (again) historical perspective and maybe every country has this phase of small roadside archetypes before moving on to other things. Except they never stopped in the USA....it just kept going and they got bigger and bigger and....