• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

pack mentalities in people

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Human behaviors in groups is what you are talking about. The behavior of the collective is different than the behavior of the individual. Just about anything you look at is different when viewed from different perspectives. It is the old spotlight vs. floodlight scenario where you see different aspects of the same picture when viewed at the macro (collective) and micro (individual) level. You should google "group behavior of human beings" in general. I'm sure most people on the forum already know my loathing of humanity based upon its collective behaviors, so I'll spare you all.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have this INFP friends who just wilts in a crowd and gets all upset. Taking him to a hockey game was a big mistake (Why are they shouting!?) :D

Frank

I'm just sort of mulling over these thoughts so they may only be half formed.
Has anyone else noticed a rather pervasive pack mentality (dominants, submissive, levels of dominance, fights for dominance) among people? Especially extroverted types? I feel like in the last year I really have.
Like, I would say that my brother is an alpha male, or close.
My father...wants to be. I think he's the dangerous kind, a partially dominant male who wishes to be alpha. He and my bro used to butt heads all the time. But now my father bends to my brother, not vise versa.
My sister is dominant until you stand up to her and assert dominance, then she fawns. I find it kind of offensive but it serves my point.
This last year at work there was a power play among the new teachers that I wasn't even aware of until I'd been shoved to the bottom of the dominance train. And then they expected me to be submissive even though *I'd* never conceded dominance. Most people seem to cede to this subtle tendency. Especially women. Especially E women. It irritates the crap out of me. Now, some women I've met have no problem being told what to do and being bossed about.
I do. I have no desire to dominate or to be dominated. I feel a bit outside the order of things. Unfortunately I think that leads a lot of people to think I'm a ubersubmissive, like an ISFJ, because I don't fight at all for dominance. Then they can't figure out why I dig my claws in when I start being bossed about.
But, lately, I feel I've been learning to play by the rules of the pack, so to speak. You know, identify the pack leaders, whether male or female, alli myself with some faction, assert support of the dominant, submit, or involve myself in subterfuge. It's depressing, quite frankly, but that's beside the point.
We're people, individuals. We have evolved brains. So, why is it that we respond this way? And, why do I find that I have to respond this way if I don't want to be a lone wolf? Isn't it odd?

Now that you recognize what it is you can exploit it. Most people don't get this far, they just assume their roles. The INFP thing to do might be to enlighten everyone as to what is actually going on but I promise you that will not get you far. Most people will choose the red pill.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Now that you recognize what it is you can exploit it. Most people don't get this far, they just assume their roles. The INFP thing to do might be to enlighten everyone as to what is actually going on but I promise you that will not get you far. Most people will choose the red pill.

This is true but I think you mean "most people will choose the blue pill (i.e. The red pill will answer the question "what is the Matrix?" [by removing him from it] and the blue pill simply for life to carry on as before.)

Most people will resent the person who tries and remove the illusion. In general, unless you owe a special duty to a person/group or are getting paid to do so, consider keeping the groupthink/group theory secrets from them (hopefully its OK to discuss here...yet expect a reaction if it is framed in a manner that is overly contrary to the Matrix/social illusion).:jew:

Frank

This is true but I think you mean "most people will choose the blue pill (i.e. The red pill will answer the question "what is the Matrix?" [by removing him from it] and the blue pill simply for life to carry on as before.)

Most people will resent the person who tries and remove the illusion. In general, unless you owe a special duty to a person/group or are getting paid to do so, consider keeping the groupthink/group theory secrets from them (hopefully its OK to discuss here...yet expect a reaction if it is framed in a manner that is overly contrary to the Matrix/social illusion).:jew:

yeah. I didn't know which color represented what, so i guessed. You get the jist though.

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
"We need to find the leader, Mangalores won't fight without the leader."

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You should watch The Dog Whisperer. Quote a few of the suggestions on that program work equally well with humans as with dogs and most of the time they're fixing the owners and not the dogs!

As for blending in, you can do that... or you can walk your own way. As long as you don't barge through others it's perfectly possible to be independent without being alone.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
thats why so many people start their own businesses. lolz

to get away from that

I'm glad this sort of stuff goes over my head, applying dominant and submissive to every person/action and so readily trying to analogise our behaviour to that of animals seems a bit distasteful to me.

well they say that self control is teh only thing that seperates humans from animals. yet how often can we say we exercise self control

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
thats why so many people start their own businesses. lolz

to get away from that

well they say that self control is teh only thing that seperates humans from animals. yet how often can we say we exercise self control

I always thought it was just the human ability to think it is something it isnt. For better or for worse.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
You should google "group behavior of human beings" in general. I'm sure most people on the forum already know my loathing of humanity based upon its collective behaviors, so I'll spare you all.

Will do, and I don't know about your loathing of humanity. I would have been willing to be un-spared. But thank you for the consideration. :)

It's called sociology.

I really like sociology. and sometimes I think that personality theory should fall more under the sociological than the psychological umbrella. Of course, that would probably imply that personality came from nurture and not just nature, but personality also effects society and a interactions are generally smoother when you know type...I like to buy sociology books.... I would say I like to read them, but I usually get about 1/3 into them and skip to the end and never finish reading. I have this chronic problem with being able to finish things, even things I enjoy. Anyway, on to the next point;

See, this is why I love NTs. They think of the things I never would and make them sound so reasonable.

In general, unless you owe a special duty to a person/group or are getting paid to do so, consider keeping the groupthink/group theory secrets from them (hopefully its OK to discuss here...yet expect a reaction if it is framed in a manner that is overly contrary to the Matrix/social illusion).:jew:

This too. ^_^ Unless I'm getting paid, really? Is there a job like that? Illusion remover? Do I have to go to a warehouse and know a secret code word?

You should watch The Dog Whisperer. Quote a few of the suggestions on that program work equally well with humans as with dogs and most of the time they're fixing the owners and not the dogs!

I've noticed that. Good show.

yet how often can we say we exercise self control

Almost. Never. It sucks.

Oh, and for the record, when I said that the idea of appealing to the hierarchical structure was depressing I didn't mean that I'm actually depressed (melancholy, well, that's just who I am, doesn't count). I could have easily put in the word disappointing, frustrating, annoying, idealism-shattering, and/or arduous. It takes more than a few dozen negative epiphanies to stop me! :D