• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone unopinonated and indifferent?

chris09

MBTI Type
INfP
Hello,

You are all going to think I'm some self-centered egomaniac if I keep posting topics about myself! Argh. lol
So best guess at the moment I'm a sociable INFP. My enagram Type 9 followed by type 2. (How do I write that properly?)
---

Anyway, I've noticed I don't really have opinions or preferences about a lot of things. I am so good at seeing something from different views, that there isn't really anything I would say I 'hate', just things that might work better in a different context or whatever.

I think it may annoy my friends (the select few there are) a little bit, because they probably think I'm agreeing with them because I want them to like me or whatever. That isn't really the case, It's just that I can see almost straight away their perspective and thus why they like it.

Sometimes it can get to a point though where I myself forget who I am etc Like a chameleon who forgets what colour his skin actually is. lol Sometimes I catch myself and have to wonder if that is even my own opinion thought or whatever.

Anyone else experience this? If so, feel free to share your story/whatever, and if you have any suggestions, then those too!

Thanks,
Chris

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Sounds to me like you're either an ENFP with underdeveloped auxiliary Fi (nothing pushes your buttons and gets you to take a stand?) or an ENFJ with undisciplined dominant Fe (allowing your priority of social harmony to hamstring your introverted processes).

Here is a related thread that ought to show what your broad-mindedness is made of: ENFX hypocrisy

Edit: Please read my tone as simply clinical. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I can actually identify with a lot of what you have to say. Most times, I don't think a stance is necessary when discussing something, because usually I'm in discussions primarily to learn something new, or gain a greater understanding of the subject, which includes understanding a certain viewpoint. Often, once I can understand why others see things the way they do, I am satisfied.

To others, this comes off as "indifferent" or "uncaring." Which I suppose is the case. My indifference to nearly everything lately is becoming something I am concerned about.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I can actually identify with a lot of what you have to say. Most times, I don't think a stance is necessary when discussing something, because usually I'm in discussions primarily to learn something new, or gain a greater understanding of the subject, which includes understanding a certain viewpoint. Often, once I can understand why others see things the way they do, I am satisfied.

To others, this comes off as "indifferent" or "uncaring." Which I suppose is the case. My indifference to nearly everything lately is becoming something I am concerned about.

Very much true for me also. I tend to see things form other people's point of view. That's why I don't post too much on this board, I mainly read. I like to see what people like about things and understand that. Not having an opinion of my own is a bane. A lot of the topics on here are about opinions, therefore I can't relate too much.

I suppose it's like having too much empathy. Empathy that overwrites your own experience in favor of observing and learning from someone else's.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Pretty much me too.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Hello,

You are all going to think I'm some self-centered egomaniac if I keep posting topics about myself! Argh. lol
So best guess at the moment I'm a sociable INFP. My enagram Type 9 followed by type 2. (How do I write that properly?)
---

Anyway, I've noticed I don't really have opinions or preferences about a lot of things. I am so good at seeing something from different views, that there isn't really anything I would say I 'hate', just things that might work better in a different context or whatever.

I think it may annoy my friends (the select few there are) a little bit, because they probably think I'm agreeing with them because I want them to like me or whatever. That isn't really the case, It's just that I can see almost straight away their perspective and thus why they like it.

Sometimes it can get to a point though where I myself forget who I am etc Like a chameleon who forgets what colour his skin actually is. lol Sometimes I catch myself and have to wonder if that is even my own opinion thought or whatever.

Anyone else experience this? If so, feel free to share your story/whatever, and if you have any suggestions, then those too!

Thanks,
Chris

Jup, looks like you've just effectively described half of the typologycentral. However I've only got this with subjects that don't directly interfere with my own life. Example, I don't really have an opinion about our government sending food and money to third world countries, but if you come to my house and ask if I could spare something for the same poor hungry kids I'll politely tell you to fuck off. It's even worse if it concerns laws or obligations I'm dealing with.

Why does it concern you? I think I'm beyond that point. I don't even have an opinion about my opinionlessness.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can actually identify with a lot of what you have to say.

Very much true for me also.

Jup, looks like you've just effectively described half of the typologycentral.

Do you guys identify with the following from the OP as well?

I think it may annoy my friends (the select few there are) a little bit, because they probably think I'm agreeing with them because I want them to like me or whatever. (...)

---

Pretty much me too.

Sooo not INTJ! ;)

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't say I don't have an opinion. I can a lot times see where others are coming from, but I don't agree. Normally I offer a contrary opinion/idea and see how they react. Normally in a way that makes it sound like I disagree which isn't necessarily the case, but I love to argue so I never come off not opinionated. Hardly. But do I usually have a strong opinion? No. But arguing is just so much fun.

As for the OP, NFP sounds right to me. I think several types could fall into that though. I would say P before J though. F before T, although it depends on your reasons for understanding others. I could see a T just being detached enough to see others opinions and not really care. I would comment on S versus N, but I am tired of people not really understanding S (myself included) so I will just leave that one be.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hello,

---

Thanks,
Chris

Welcome to being an NP. :) I don't have much of an opinion about most things, but I'm more likely to come across as overly contrary rather than overly agreeable. I tend to ask a lot of questions, so that I can understand their side more, and I play devil's advocate sometimes. When it comes down to it though, for most issues both sides have a valid viewpoint and the truth is often somewhere in between.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do that too, but I usually see internal or external inconsistencies in that perspective instantly as well. Perhaps when considering these things you're using only Ni and Fe effectively. Assuming correct one of the far too many unrelated definitions of Ni - perspective shifting - I'd suggest you're failing to use other cognitive functions to assess those perspectives critically. Fe and Ni are being left to satisfy their narrow mutual interests unchallenged.

That's the possibility that first came to mind. The next was that you're using many different functions but instead of using them all as appropriate to analyse issues in depth, you're distracted by and caught up on the fact that each approach at its most basic is accessible and feels valid yet each makes you react differently. That looks all the more likely given you're unsure of your preferences.

chris09

MBTI Type
INfP
The next was that you're using many different functions but instead of using them all as appropriate to analyse issues in depth, you're distracted by and caught up on the fact that each approach at its most basic is accessible and feels valid yet each makes you react differently. That looks all the more likely given you're unsure of your preferences.
Meaning what exactly? lol

I guess if I think further about this, the more time I spend with other people, the more this is the case. Then again, perhaps it is just no one is asking me the right questions? :)
lol
I think in social situations that perhaps I'm just quite amicable to other peoples suggestions etc, and I'm happy enough to just follow along and allow them to make decisions. When I'm on my own for any length of time, however, I obviously have to start making my own choices.
I still don't know if I'm Extro or Intro, but it seems quite possible to me that too much time spent with others could be a little detrimental, and that I may need to allow more time for myself, by myself. (Something I've been getting a scarce amount of lately! And even when I have, I've been preoccupied thinking about other people.)

Moral of this story?

~ I need a nice vacation! lol

p.s. I just noticed the silliness of this - Why on earth did I think to ask a bunch of strangers who have never met me, to tell me about myself? :)

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meaning what exactly? lol

For example, if you want to decide who you agree with about a piece of art, you might start with Se and think it's ugly, you don't like the colour combinations or the stroke style. Ti might notice how well proportioned all the body parts are and how adeptly perspective has been handled and be appreciative. Si might think the artist lazy for not trying to make it look more realistic and detailed. Ni might find the harsh or clashing colours are perfect for its themes of conflict and disarray, and maybe even wish the proportions weren't consistent for the same reason. Ne might dismiss it if it doesn't speak to some truth or other or raise interesting questions.

Art is a field in which there are no right or wrong criteria to judge things by, although the more ways in which you can appreciate it, the more you're likely to get out of exhibitions. However I hope it demonstrates how appreciating contradicting perspectives equally might be the result of not having strong preferences yourself, which is not a bad thing, and then not using your functions or other cognitive skills well enough to critically analyse those perspectives for appropriateness. If it bothers you to keep finding yourself unable to decide which perspective on ethical/political issues makes the most sense, it could be that you're not forming an opinion about what is ultimately important to you regarding any given issue because you're skipping from one perspective to the next waiting for the answer to jump out at you. Ask what are the underlying assumptions behind this view and that view, and then keep greeting every answer you come up with with 'why', until no answer is forthcoming. Hope that helps, though this is all just a thoughtful guess afterall.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Pretty much me too.

Thirded

Chloe

I can totally relate to OP, ... are you maybe ENP type ?
Because i think it could be common with ENPs, especially if you're too much relying on Ne and not on 2nd function...

Actually I was thinking about opening thread like this few times, because it feels awkward to be unopinionated, you can come of as dumb etc., but it really is more about seeing to many possible perspectives, and not having judgement on most.

Also this way is sometimes pretty hard to participate in some debates, because I'm just watching and I'm indifferent, but I like when there's something going on so I'll maybe even say many things I dont think (but are possible) just to make conversation more interesting.

I also don't have much likes/dislikes, I can not strongly speak on some subject, for real. I have many passions but they are not exclusive about most stuff.

edit: oh, i've seen now you're infp, well...it is probably common among all NPs, but I think it could be more the case with ENPs. You could be ENFP.

chris09

MBTI Type
INfP
Chloee,

I'm a confused puppy who doesn't know his type! :p lol Maybe I am an ENFP. I believe EFNPs can ultimately can be very concerned about other people liking them etc which I am in some situations.

Let me ask you a quick question: Which one is more concerning for you, what a stranger thinks of you, or what a friend thinks of you?
For me, it is easy to shrug of what strangers' think about me, but for no good reason, I worry what my close friends think of me sometimes. Close friend/s are incredibly important to me, and I think I may have a bit of a fear about doing something that would ruin a valued friendship, which can make me self-conscious in situations where you'd expect me to be my most relaxed.

It's not that I don't think I could make new friends, but I'm fiercely loyal to any close friend, so I don't want a new/replacement friend, which puts me in a precarious place mentally I guess. But meh. It's a fear I'll deal with soon enough I guess. lol

chris09

MBTI Type
INfP
p.s. Yup, just realised I have trust issues... *frown* lol

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
p.s. Yup, just realised I have trust issues... *frown* lol

Oh bless you.

We all (ok not everyone) have trust issues.

It is somehow overcoming that fear .. of something.

Yeah, i am aware i have not been helpful. :hug: