• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychology of Cursing

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I find swearing in Scottish very therapeutic, whether alone or in company.

There's a surprising amount of profanity in the Scots' vernacular.

All that aggression and frustration seems to evaporate...

Git tae fuck noo ya wee biskit-ersed baw bags!

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'll curse if I'm laughing, surprised, energetic, calm, etc. It's not limited to negativity.

It's really just a modifier of quantitative statements, ie:

"Dude, I'm really fuckin' happy today!"

"Dude, I just bought a shit-ton of cool shit from the store!"

"These Blazin Buffalo Doritos are damn good!"

...Alright, now I'm just having fun. :D See what I mean? Totally positive.:laugh:

lol Exactly.

I tend not to curse when I'm annoyed, angry, or I stubbed my toe.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard that when people curse genuinely (like dropping a bowling ball on their toes) they always go back to their native language/dialect. Is this true?

Does cursing serve a specific psychological purpose? Does it do any good to suppress cursing? Does cursing too much defeat this purpose?

Discuss.

I've never used a single fucking curse word in my entire fucking life. People who curse are shitheads. What a bunch of assholes! :shock:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's nothing wrong with cursing, dolphin dick.

It's not cursing that's the problem, gorilla cunt. Motherfuckers who throw that shit around lightly have no goddamn manners whatsoever, that's all. :yes:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I think Steven Pinker wrote extensively about cursing in his latest book on language, but I haven't read it yet.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Steven Pinker wrote extensively about cursing in his latest book on language, but I haven't read it yet.

Really? I will check that out.
Thanks for the heads up on the barbaric literature. :cheese:

ntvinh986

I've heard that when people curse genuinely (like dropping a bowling ball on their toes) they always go back to their native language/dialect. Is this true?

Does cursing serve a specific psychological purpose? Does it do any good to suppress cursing? Does cursing too much defeat this purpose?

Discuss.

Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3

Discuss.

I think that it may be true for those who have a clear native language. I'm curious how it works for bilingual speakers? Because I was raised bilingually, speaking Swenglish litterally, yet I still curse in English.

To me, surpressing cursing feels like surpressing anger - it just blows out of proportion later instead. Therefore I find it better to curse, if not to whome I'm mad at, at least out in the open to get it out of me :D

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Cursing is a verbal form of aggression. When we're stressed we can relieve some of that stress by cursing. It's probably more constructive to curse than to hit something.

And doing both is even more satisfying! :yes:

scapquiwil

In some books, the characterization of the main characters is deep enough to give the reader a glimpse of what it is like to be that type.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On topic: If I'm in the company of friends that I know don't take offense to cursing, I'll curse if I'm laughing, surprised, energetic, calm, etc. It's not limited to negativity.

It's really just a modifier of quantitative statements, ie:

"Dude, I'm really fuckin' happy today!"

"Dude, I just bought a shit-ton of cool shit from the store!"

"These Blazin Buffalo Doritos are damn good!"

...Alright, now I'm just having fun. :D See what I mean? Totally positive.:laugh:
:D Yep, me too.

Actually, for me, cursing can be a sign of closeness. I hardly ever, if at all, swear around people I don't know well. Only around family and close friends. You'll know you're "in" with me when I start dropping f-bombs. ;) I just feel like I have to be nice and polite around everyone else.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, to all three questions. Cursing is supposed to be used to convey a unique meaning in an exaggerated way. Basically, the person who is swearing demands to be heard and taken seriously, even if joking. There are other ways to do this but cursing is just one easy way. When a person curses too much people become desensitized to that. If we all cursed a lot and became desensitized, we'd just keep creating new curse words in order to get the same desired effect.