• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Performing

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is so enjoyable about it? How do you not feel daunted by the fact that soo many people are watching you, expecting something great, and you have to deliver?

I was participating in a drama course in high school, choosing roles that allowed me to throw shit at the spectators or saying stupid things (be it either moralism or postmodernist nonesense) without any possible consequences. It was my distinct pleasure to hide behind the fourth wall while blowing smoke right in the principals face (who was sitting in the first row, fortunately :) )

Looking back at those years, it seems to be useless elitism, though I've always hated the so-called nonconformists and hipsters - guess it was sort of a small rebellion from my part.

I especially liked presenting this monologue from The Misanthrope:

Acaste said:
I do not find, on looking at myself, any matter to be sorrowful about. I am wealthy, I am young, and am descended from a family which, with some appearance of truth, may be called noble; and I think that, by the rank which my lineage confers upon me, there are very few offices to which I might not aspire. As for courage, which we ought especially to value, it is well known—this without vanity—that I do not lack it; and people have seen me carry on an affair of honour in a manner sufficiently vigorous and brisk. As for wit, I have some, no doubt; and as for good taste, to judge and reason upon everything without study; at “first nights, ” of which I am very fond, to take my place as a critic upon the stage, to give my opinion as a judge, to applaud, and point out the best passages by repeated bravoes, I am sufficiently adroit[...] I believe, without flattering myself, that, as for dressing in good taste, very few will dispute the palm with me. I find myself treated with every possible consideration, very much beloved by the fair sex; and I stand very well with the King. With all that, I think, dear marquis, that one might be satisfied with oneself anywhere.

tl;dr: Snobbish hedonist noble stroking his ego during a feast. Now THAT was amusing.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
One of the best drummers in the world (Brian Blade) says that I know I'm in trouble when I start thinking on stage.

In other words, surrender to the space that the performance creates. This can be true even of giving a speech. Feelers have an advantage here, IMO...

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's interesting we think of ourselves as being good or bad rather than becoming a song or a character or a dance.

Being good or bad is such a distancing device. It distances us from the song or the character or the dance. But most of all it distances us from the audience....

For how can we enter spontaneous intimacy with the audience if we don't let go of control? How can we enter spontaneous intimacy with the audience if we are not spontaneously intimate with ourselves?

Let's face reality here - we much prefer control to spontaneous intimacy.
I agree with everything you said minus the preference for control. I was trained to be in control(ESTJ style:D). I'm am slowly learning to let go.

And I also agree with you insofar as defining performances(our own, or others) in terms of "good" versus "bad". Oddly enough, I can let go of that type of thinking when relating to my son, but tend to be much more critical of myself in those terms.

Mole

Permabanned
Create and Evaluate

I agree with everything you said minus the preference for control. I was trained to be in control(ESTJ style:D). I'm am slowly learning to let go.

And I also agree with you insofar as defining performances(our own, or others) in terms of "good" versus "bad". Oddly enough, I can let go of that type of thinking when relating to my son, but tend to be much more critical of myself in those terms.

Yes, we are born without control and learn control over a surprisingly long period. So control is vitally important.

However as we mature it is equally important to learn to let go of control and return to control, at will.

So that on one hand we can create and on the other, evaluate.