• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Projects: Tunnel Vision, or Hyperfocusing

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm uncertain as to where I should place this thread, so this could be moved to a more appropriate category.

Quentin Tarantino said:
"When I'm doing a movie, I'm not doing anything else. It's all about the movie. Nothing can get in my way. The whole world can go to hell and burst into flames. I don't care. If you're climbing Mount Everest, you're not doing anything else. All your concerns, all the mundane things, family, any of that, it just--pfft--disappears."

I completely identify with the quote above. Although this was great for getting the job done, I recalled being ruthless towards anything or anyone that interfered with my project. I still have the urge to knock-out distractions, but I learned how to pace myself when a conflicting, separate event demands my attention.

Not looking for advice. Just any other thoughts, or personal experiences and antidotes. :)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah - when i finally have the necessary info to clearly define a goal, I don't even consider not getting it. Its like, "I am getting it, now how." But this question is asked after I start walking in a general direction. I think on my feet when something goes awry, but still with the goal in mind. If something else comes up, I set it aside for the appropriate time - which is when I'm not doing the thing I'm doing at the moment.

lamp

(when motivated) I like to work in long, uninterrupted blocks. I like to isolate myself from changes in conditions; sunsets and sunrises can affect my mood, food-missions can give me new ideas that I do not want to deal with. I prefer to 'lock in' specific songs or types of music so I can avoid mood swings induced by something random coming on. I usually prefer sobriety here. Immediately after emerging from this state of focus I feel very calm and satisfied.

I'm uncertain as to where I should place this thread, so this could be moved to a more appropriate category.
I am inclined to post everything in the Bonfire :]

G

Ginkgo

I completely identify with the quote above. Although this was great for getting the job done, I recalled being ruthless towards anything or anyone that interfered with my project. I still have the urge to knock-out distractions, but I learned how to pace myself when a conflicting, separate event demands my attention.

Not looking for advice. Just any other thoughts, or personal experiences and antidotes. :)

I'm glad I inspired someone. ;)

I find it hard to relate to this mindset, although sometimes it is necessary. In order to get through life, you must sometimes point yourself as an arrow, and shoot straight through your goals.

I find this kind of mindset essential when speaking in front of a large audience. I must focus on the task at hand, and ignore all the outside noise.

If you have this talent, Lethe, use it to your advantage. Make sure you are headed in the right direction before you start, lest you find yourself in a bad place. :D

Jaguar

Completely agree with Tarantino.
Been that way my whole life.
It's an all-or-nothing, passionate, way of focusing.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Does hyperfocusing on a book count?

Our laundry room did burst into flames (due to a faulty dryer) while I was reading. I noticed some strange flickering light on the pages but the rest of the world was gone until my mother came running in to put out the fire.

Thankfully I have since learned some survival skills. :)

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am rather the opposite. When I concentrate on a task more than I usually do I feel drained once I am finished and all the time I am thinking about what I would be doing were I not working. So I distract easily. Not only do I feel like this after completing a major task but before I dread it and avoid it for as long as I can.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I go all hyperfocused on things that deeply interest me.

When editing uni projects after seemingly and hour or so I would lean back in the chair and wonder what that hollow feeling in my stomach is and why I have such a pain in my neck. I then realize that hour was actual 5, which have passed without my awareness, hence the stomach thing (I forgot to eat lunch) and the neck pain (I have barely moved since I sat down).

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I do this in bursts. Normally I have exceptional multitasking, but some things will totally claim my attention and anyone who interrupts me just gets a GRRRRRRR GO AWAY response out of me.

If the task itself requires trying to run a line of reasoning... well my mind wanders horribly, if I get distracted even for a few seconds, it's gone. Derailed and exploded, then nuked. Poor train of thought. *Salts and burns the corpse just for good measure*

But anyways, like if I'm writing a post on here, I will totally tunnelvision it, anything that interrupts me will break my concentration, and it's HARD for me to get concentration back once I loose it, since I rarely ever concentrate on one thing at a time. When it occurs, it's a blissful state which should not be interfered with, as it's practically sacred to me. It's the closest thing I'll ever come to meditation... so I like to enjoy it when I can.

For a larger project though, on a grander scale like tarintino suggests? Nupe, I can't do that. I can do short bursts of focus, but long term doesn't work because it only takes a few seconds to break my concentration. This ruins everything, and will prevent me from doing large scale projects usually. If I can't do it in a single sitting, I can't really do it. Note, however, that this single sitting can last 20 hours straight without interruption... if this's the case, it works great. If I need to eat, sleep, or talk to anyone in between that though, it's already a lost cause.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
For me it depends a lot on the task. I'm not like that when I'm studying, for example, because it's often boring and it's easier to lose focus. I identify completely, though, when I'm "doing" something myself - physical exercise, writing papers, programming, working.