• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Puzzle pieces and information processing

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Alright so I was in a discussion earlier with wonka, the context of the discussion doesn't really matter, but whot it got me thinking on was the order in which people process information and how they apply it.

An analogy I ended up using after the conversation, was in building a puzzle.

I'm heavy Ne and Ti, but I use them seperately, one after the other, so in the puzzle description, I do things in this manner:

1: dump all the puzzle pieces onto the table

2: sort the individual pieces by generic type; ie corners, sides, center pieces

3: further subdivide groups; ie sides that're blue distinctive from sides that're red

4: connect outside rim into a frame with all 4 corners and sides attached

5: build key sections (a big blue flower on one side, a red one on the other) seperately and relatively placed roughly where they should be

6: fill in remaining gaps with leftover pieces

This's a very specific and methodical process that works great on larger puzzles, though is needlessly time consuming on smaller ones. For looking at a larger picture, however, it makes perfect sense and is highly effective.

My main issue would be difficulties in just placing pieces where they should go on say... a 25 piece puzzle, I'd still want to maintain the same methodology even if it's not nearly as practically useful.

So, using this puzzle building as an example (and just stating how yeu build puzzles in general), how do yeu build a puzzle and does this match with yeur methodology in confronting problems in the world as well?

Synthetic Darkness

When I solve a puzzle (or just generally solving things in real life) what I do is look at the superficiality of the problem first, the most obvious pieces of the puzzle (the outer frame pieces) and then just go from there going deeper and deeper until I finish the puzzle (and solve the problem) I guess it means I like to start things from the top and go deeper.

Now this is what I usually do, but sometimes just to mix things up and give myself a challenge I'd just connect a few random pieces, and then another few random pieces, and then another until I have a whole bunch of semi connected pieces and then I'll put those pieces together. Its how I tackle problems in real life sometimes I just gather information at random until it all starts to make sense....and that's when I'll get my little "AHA!" moment. =)

Jaguar

You could have cut to the chase and merely said:
Your brain methodically classifies bits of data, then places it within a self-imposed framework.

I don't see the reason for complicating something, so simple.

When I put a puzzle together, there is no observable method.
It's all internal and intuitive.
(Then people ask me how the hell I did it so fast.)

I'd tell you.
But then I'd have to kill you. :newwink:

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Your brain methodically classifies bits of data, then places it within a self-imposed framework.

Because it's easier with a simple analogy/example to show the actual reasoning that takes place. If I stated "classifies bits of data and places in self imposed framework", it just doesn't have nearly the same relation, many people won't know how to even define how they think and such... having a simple, easy to understand frame of referance works well. People who don't even KNOW how they think can even answer if they feel like it simply by explaining how they put a puzzle togeather.

Hence, it's simply more effective, if less concise.

P

Phantonym

I find that the way I build a puzzle does reflect the way I approach real life problems as well.
Firstly, I dump all the pieces on the table. I want to have an overview of all the pieces, so I turn the pieces face up and spread them on the table. This is what I do with problems in real life. I need to find out all the possible aspects and find the best possible way to approach the problem. Seeing the big picture, having a overview of all the possibilities to a solution I'm able to see at that particular moment.

Then I start to close in on the solution. Just as in a puzzle, building a frame, connecting the pieces one by one. I find sections among the pieces that sort of "pop" out right from the start and I start building from there. I don't necessarily concentrate on a single section all the time. Building several at a time helps to see the connections much better and sort out the pieces until the puzzle is finished.
Problem solved.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. I see a problem (unsolved puzzle)
2. I figure out the parts of the problem and segregate the parts of the problem into different places in my mind until I get around to solving that part of it (dividing pieces by color and where they may go)
3. I figure out each part of the problem and then the whole. (finish it)

Child's play. Nothing complicated.

Jaguar

Because it's easier with a simple analogy/example to show the actual reasoning that takes place. If I stated "classifies bits of data and places in self imposed framework", it just doesn't have nearly the same relation,

What's next-- analyzing how you tie your tennis shoes?
Don't.

That might take up 3 pages.

camille

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I sort by color, then pick out corner pieces, then place completed parts in their approx. area. I do not like to look at the cover while I'm putting together a puzzle.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What's next-- analyzing how you tie your tennis shoes?
Don't.

That might take up 3 pages.

NPs (esp. ENPs), they actively use their environment to process information. :)
NJs are inclined to do this in solitude, or passively use the environment.

Ne Example: Brainstorming, bouncing ideas off each other, etc.

Jaguar

NPs (esp. ENPs), they actively use their environment to process information. :)
NJs are inclined to do this in solitude, or passively use the environment.

Ne Example: Brainstorming, bouncing ideas off each other, etc.

I'm well aware of that behavior.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm well aware of that behavior.

Alright then. Mentioned it as an optional side note to this response:

I don't see the reason for complicating something, so simple.

Possible, but it's not how Ne works. They don't have a (large) self-imposed framework, but they do have (smaller) self-imposed frameworks.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I remember as a kid, my dad bought me one of those 500 piece puzzles (first box), and my mama tried showing me how to play puzzles.. I instantly got it. In fact, I got really frustrated with her when she tried to show me how to piece them together.. It was like, mom, I get it..

How I used to go about it? Dump them all on the table. Flip the pieces over- right side up. Don't even look at the picture.

Piece them together- randomly. If I happen to find 'groups' that go together, I piece them in large chunks- move on- and visually could tell which goes where/how/why.. If I needed a bit more help- a glance over at the picture was enough for me. Haven't played with puzzles in a while.

Great topic! :) Brings back memories..

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Paint-by-numbers. How original. :D

People do what they do. ;)

On the other hand, this doesn't instantly translate into anyone else seeing the same value and priorities they do. If someone functions well using one leg, I say go for it. :cool: