• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could you eat Dolphin?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I could eat dolphins, apes or dogs even if I'm not starving. Endangered species are an exception. I could never kill one of these animals though, if they do not attack me.

So you only eat things with lower cognitive functions?

I eat things with no discernible cognition.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I only eat the dumb ones.

I eat dolphin but not the ones that look like "flipper", just a big fish. I couldn't eat dog or ape. I am sure it tastes like chicken but I just wouldn't be able to get over the mental image.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
This depends. Does dolphin taste good? Has anyone had any experience eating dolphin, and how does it taste? Which parts are the best tasting? This all hinges on the decision of if I should bring out my harpoons or not.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I could not.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i would have no problem with it.
i have eaten dog meat before. it was very good.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
For those that don't mind eating dolphin, dog, apes, do you have a problem with cannibalism?

What prevents you from cannibalism but does not prevent you from eating other intelligent animals?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely not. I'm T to the core, but animals bring out a deep empathy in me. I'd be vegetarian if I didn't like meat so much. :tongue: But I could never eat a really intelligent animal

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't want to eat any of those. I CAN'T either, as it is against my religion to eat mammals that aren't cloven-hoofed ungulates.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
For those that don't mind eating dolphin, dog, apes, do you have a problem with cannibalism?

What prevents you from cannibalism but does not prevent you from eating other intelligent animals?

I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence. I think it is connection. I talk to my dog. Every time I would begin to take a bite of dog, I would think about him and how he would be looking up at me with his big brown eyes, pleading "don't eat me".

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
In order of "things I'd not eat" (clearly none of them if I had a choice):

1. Human
2. Dolphin
3. Ape
4. Dog (and cats!)

The "if I was starving" line probably comes in around the ape level... truly starving will do a lot to erase sensibilities, I think. I've always had a (non-culinary :rolleyes:) love for dolphins though - so I'll comfort myself with the idea that in any situation where I was starving, dolphin wouldn't be an option anyway. I mean, I'd likely be drowned/fatally dehydrated before it got to that point, right?

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

i don't know Quinlan, i think when it comes right down to it, it has to be a feeling of superiority. feeling humans are superior to other animals. i don't know what other justification there can be for eating animals (any kind of animals) but not eating humans.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
i don't know Quinlan, i think when it comes right down to it, it has to be a feeling of superiority. feeling humans are superior to other animals. i don't know what other justification there can be for eating animals (any kind of animals) but not eating humans.

I think some (like myself) justify the difference between "stupid" animals and "intelligent" ones as the potential for self awareness, it's "ok" to eat lesser animals as they aren't truly aware of their fate and experience just like plants.

In some ways I think compassion for other species is a side effect of the evolutionary advantage of compassion/reciprocation amongst humans. I think in an evolutionary sense it was only meant to apply to other humans but evolution not being a perfect process there is sometimes a spillover into other species.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I think some (like myself) justify the difference between "stupid" animals and "intelligent" ones as the potential for self awareness, it's "ok" to eat lesser animals as they aren't truly aware of their fate and experience just like plants.

that seems like a difficult distinction to make, how can one person/animal decide if another person/animal is self aware? it seems like anyone can only determine their own self awareness.

In some ways I think compassion for other species is a side effect of the evolutionary advantage of compassion/reciprocation amongst humans. I think in an evolutionary sense it was only meant to apply to other humans but evolution not being a perfect process there is sometimes a spillover into other species.

yes, i agree with that.
here is a thought - even lesser animals are aware of death and have self-preservation instincts. lesser animals do try to avoid being killed. so can a person eat meat without having a lack of respect for life, on some level? or is eating another species justified?

i tend to think it is justifiable to eat other species, but i do think it does basically dull your respect for life, on some level.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

my answer doesn't change as far as humans. again, if it's between him and me...

also, if it came to that, i doubt i'd give much of a fuck about taste anyway.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6

There is no such thing as an intelligent animal, just superior and inferior. The superior animals are living out there right now. The inferior ones are on our dinner tables or in the stomachs of superior animals.

The superior animals have found either a niche to crawl themselves to prevent death or can outwit and outmanuvre its predators from not dying...yet.

Oh yeah, and it's all a culture of villagers, each taking and giving to contribute to the village, and putting consequences on actions that are ultimately bad for the village. It's the same reason you don't go on a rampage and stab your neighbor. Because that would result in bad consequences. I would eat human flesh, if the situation were necessary.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a vegetarian so no, hell no.
And I would only kill an animal if I were starving and needed meat to survive, lol.
I have no doubt that if people had cows for pets, not many would want to eat them, either.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
that seems like a difficult distinction to make, how can one person/animal decide if another person/animal is self aware? it seems like anyone can only determine their own self awareness.

We can only do our best to try and understand through scientific evidence.

yes, i agree with that.
here is a thought - even lesser animals are aware of death and have self-preservation instincts. lesser animals do try to avoid being killed. so can a person eat meat without having a lack of respect for life, on some level? or is eating another species justified?

Well on some level they are, as are plants on some level "aware" of where the sunlight is coming from etc. but are they self aware, can a dolphin contemplate it's own impending death?

i tend to think it is justifiable to eat other species, but i do think it does basically dull your respect for life, on some level.

Eating meat for survival brings new life though, so not sure about that.

I wonder how many of those that cite the intelligence of Dolphins eat pork, as I read that Pigs are also very intelligent. The different justifications are fascinating.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
There is no such thing as an intelligent animal, just superior and inferior. The superior animals are living out there right now. The inferior ones are on our dinner tables or in the stomachs of superior animals.

The superior animals have found either a niche to crawl themselves to prevent death or can outwit and outmanuvre its predators from not dying...yet.

Might is right huh?