• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraversion vs neediness

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I have recently embraced my I side. This is for the first time in my life and it has thrown something in relief. I have never been comfortable in my own company, I have always sought out other people and liked having people around even when in the background. Can extraversion be an introverted neediness, or are the two things seperated?

Last edited:

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
do you feel energized when you are around people ? if so that's probably a good sign you're an extrovert. and just because someone is extroverted doesn't necessarily mean they have good social skills

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
It's strange really, I think Ive become more introvert since learning Im an introvert. Before, I wasn't sure. My extroversion was probably because I was acting out for lack of attention elsewhere. But I also see that at that time I was living in an almost duality going from one to the other. Probably for the most part introverted, but now I make hardly any effort at being sociable.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
It's strange really, I think Ive become more introvert since learning Im an introvert. Before, I wasn't sure. My extroversion was probably because I was acting out for lack of attention elsewhere. But I also see that at that time I was living in an almost duality going from one to the other. Probably for the most part introverted, but now I make hardly any effort at being sociable.

That makes sense, because maybe you took pride in your introversion. But you sort of answered your own question with the first sentence. When did you learn that you were an introvert?

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
That makes sense, because maybe you took pride in your introversion. But you sort of answered your own question with the first sentence. When did you learn that you were an introvert?

Yes but I also think it has something to do with excepting Im an introvert, because Ive been told I am. Which I do agree with, but I also know I have an E side that I have put away for the most part since being typed. Which was probably a couple of years ago. We all have E and the key is striking the balance. I'm only now finding that.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have never been comfortable in my own company, I have always sought out other people and liked having people around even when in the background.

My introverted sister is the same way, she thinks it's because we were always together as kids. She is my step sister and is 2 weeks younger than me, we were always together. If someone asked us about something we always answered with 'we' instead of 'I.'

Did you have anyone you were always with that caused you not to experience much of life by yourself? Sometimes I think people have to learn to be comfortable by themselves.

Chloe

so how does one tell the difference?

i think most needy people will be typed E even when they're I.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah there is a big difference between extraversion and neediness, and someone ought to go and explain it to the folks at INTPc - not me though, I'd need to stock up on sick buckets first! :laugh:

yeah... I get tired of hearing "...just because you need to keep talking to people to get attention to justify your existence" and "just because you're so shallow you can't bear to be in your own company, just because you don't know how to think and imagine to yourself..." and other such ignorant comments from introverts. Ludicrous. It'd be like me saying to an INTP that I hold their pleasure in reading (or an INFP their daydreaming) in utter contempt, as it's just a crutch to justify their existence in light of their lack of significance to the rest of humanity due to their poor social skills. Ignorant, mean spirited rubbish.

I have never been comfortable in my own company, I have always sought out other people and liked having people around even when in the background.

My ISFJ sister's the same. Whilst I go for long periods quite happily in solitude, and often seek it out in solo hiking/camping trips in the wilderness. Go figure :)