• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts, how much nonstop socializing and noise can you take before you break?

G

Glycerine

My limit is three days straight with 4-5 highly expressed EXXJ types (not me) trying to run the show plus 15+ more people without a moment of silence. I almost had a little mental breakdown after that experience. haha

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dunno about you, but I had to get my head out of the gutter before I could take this thread title seriously.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't understand your question. Sorry. Can you be more spesific?

G

Glycerine

I mean how long can you go with constant chattering (socializing) and noise until you have had enough?

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
My best record was nonstop chattering for 10 hours.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once it gets past 120 decibels, I'm pretty sure we're all fucked.

~PREFERENCES~
~NOT ABILITY~
An introvert would fare just as well as an extrovert at whatever this is, it's just they'd prefer not to. The only reason an extrovert would bare with such noise is if it were to be interesting or fun.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
All day, I think, as long as there was enough variety in the conversation, and as long as the conversation was interrupted every once and a while by, say, dancing, or any other non-verbal outside stimuli.

G

Glycerine

Once it gets past 120 decibels, I'm pretty sure we're all fucked.

~PREFERENCES~
~NOT ABILITY~
An introvert would fare just as well as an extrovert at whatever this is, it's just they'd prefer not to. The only reason an extrovert would bare with such noise is if it were to be interesting or fun.
I think the average extrovert would fare better because they get somewhat energized by it but there is a point where anyone would break though.

An introvert would be drained much faster since it's not an energy source for them. Likewise, the average introvert would fare better with an extended amount of alone time than the extrovert. This is analogous to the question, "Introverts, how much alone time could you stand without going crazy?"

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the average extrovert would fare better because they get somewhat energized by it but there is a point where anyone would break though.

An introvert would be drained much faster since it's not an energy source for them.

That's true, but the extrovert gains energy from the outside world... so I guess if the outside world is providing stimulation, the extrovert will be happier. I'm usually asking/planning new things to do after being out all day yapping my face off with friends -but they get rejected- Extroverts prefer to spend energy in the outer world, right? I'm not sure how far an introvert could go really, you'd have to force them and find out :devil:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, depends on what you call "stimulation."

I could be in the company of 1 or 2 people for months and months and not have any energy drain at all.

If you're talking a party of 10 or more people.. maybe 2 days??

Depends on the quantity of people and the quality of time

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Good lord! I could hard core extrovert for 2-5 hours and I'd be done for a couple days.

In a sensor laden environment such as a club full of hair, heals and cleavage, I could do an hour.

At a rave I could do 5 hours.

As for chattering, I would verbally assassinate the person in 15 minutes or less. I'm well known for shutting that small talk psycho babble down quick, I just won't put up with it!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not an Extravert, but it depends on what you call socializing.

If you mean talking on AIM, e-mail, or posting on forums... I can literally do that all day long for several months, stopping only to eat and sleep.

If you mean talking to someone on the phone... I can only do that for about 5 hours, because then my voice gets tired and my ear gets red and irritated.

If you mean being out somewhere with an individual... I could take that for about 3 hours on a weekday, maybe 8-10 on a weekend.

If you mean being out in a group that includes strangers, then I can only put up with that for about 1-2 hours (I have no idea how I'd respond to a group of people entirely made of people I knew/liked).

Basically, I have much higher threshold for either one-on-one, or text-based communication. It's really only dealing with groups in person that drains me.

Snow Turtle

Within the right company I can spend hours just being present within environment. Granted this doesn't happen often since I usually like to do my own stuff on the computer, but if there is gaming at hand... Skies the limit really.

I do get tired after a while but it's not because of people. I'm just prone to falling asleep if I mentally exhuast myself too much and that can happen when I'm alone or with people. It's given others the impression that I'm always rather slow and sleepy but I guess it's my own fault for snoozing in people's floor or standing out snoozing. Heh heh.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I guess this is a lot compared to some people but I've socialized for whole months, work and out every night then all day on the weekends. I was very very broke after that. Actually it wasn't even the brokeness that stopped me (friends buy other friends shots when they've fallen upon hard times!), it was that I ran out of clean underwear. :sadbanana:

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
When I'm socializing with S types I get bored after half an hour if we're not doing anything(sports, working, making stuff happen).

When I'm socializing with N types I can go for 4-5 hours and even then I'm not bored, I'm just tired.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
It depends on the company. If I'm with people who expect to be entertained but are not entertaining themselves I get tired very easily and am very happy to go home.

If I am with people I enjoy I can certainly sit for hours and listen and talk....however even then I take breaks to be with my own thoughts. My extroversion can make me tired when I'm with a group of even people I like because I'm thinking not only about what I think but also I'm thinking about what they think. I need to step away to quiet my thoughts or order them and then I can rejoin the group.

I very much enjoy being alone. I'm pleasant company for me. When I'm in the mood to socialize I do but very often if I answer the phone..you will find me at home with a good book and a glass of wine.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't get what you mean by 'break', I stay as long as I want, when the company is stimulating it's generally a desire to sleep that makes me to leave. As for how many days in a row, well that depends on what we're doing.

I can be surrounded by people and noise without engaging if I've had enough and not need to get away cause I'm paying no attention, what makes me feel like I have to leave is lack of interest in the conversation or activities.

Don't be boring and I'm happy.