• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Problem Gambling

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There was lately a new trend shipped to Europe over the Ocean, namely Poker and a lot of people started playing it. Not late after that several new TV shows arose, showing Poker competitions and all people went crazy about it.

I played too, occasionally. Liked the game, though it hasnt got the strategical depth like Skat or Doppelkopf the games we normally play over her.

At first I played with some friends and the stakes were like $5 for everyone, so no big deal. I, as I said only played occasionally and therefore I didnt participate regulary.

They developed, over stakes from $10, to $20 they play around stakes of (and thats the buy-in) 50 - 100 Euro, which is around $70 - $140.

Thats pretty much given the relation that most of them do study and only earn around $500 / month.

They talk about nothing else than Poker nowadays. Yesterday I gave a birthday party, together with another guy and the poker players even went on a birthday Party to sit together and gamble.

I am no expert on Problem Gambling and I wanted to ask, if anyone got first hand experience with that and can tell if intense gambling always has to become a problem or if the guys just may loose intrest over time in the game, as I did.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You can never tell what is going to turn someone into an addict. I am surrounded by addiction all around me and I know how easy it is for something to turn from fun into a serious problem. For gambling, watch out for someone who really believes that "just one more time" and they will get their money back. People who are borrowing money to gamble, or to pay bills since they lost money gambling...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some people lose intrest on it, for some it will become a problem and some can keep it in healthy limits.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ok. I think the same, I am just not fond with a maybe more expert view on the topic and if there are some indicators I overlooked.

We got one guy who justifies by telling "that he always gets out what he gives in", I think he has gone the most far of them.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
It's only a problem if you're losing.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I would never play online poker. It's too easy for them to cheat especially since there is no regulation.

It's not unlike the spot forex market. They are unregulated and free to bend the rules in their favor. People who don't know that will get spanked repeatedly. It's even in the mandatory disclosure. "If the market goes against you and XYZ FCM chooses not to cover their risk, they could stand to make more money from your losing trade." (paraphrased)

But at least if you have a good sense for how and when they bend the rules you can avoid those situations.