• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you feel after a day in these jobs? Part IV, experts

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
8 hour day.

Preventing, diagnosing and treating work-related illness and writing medical certificates

Teaching natural sciences in a private school and developing the best practices in education

Developing ICT systems in the organization and participating in the creation of strategy

Planning for marketing campaigns and applying marketing research to the marketing strategy

Evaluating and developing the company image, writing press releases and organizing press conferences

Developing the use of land in a city, evaluating building projects and granting construction permits

Researching the history and methods of acting and writing a textbook for drama students

Programming the game AI of a first person shooter and coordinating with the game testers

The whole series:

Part I, simple jobs
Part II, skilled jobs
Part III, associate professionals
Part IV, experts
Part V, managers

Last edited:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Preventing, diagnosing and treating work-related illness and writing medical certificates
I'd be just okay, my help is being sought as an expert and the pay is good. I'd be happy.

Teaching natural sciences in a private school and developing the best practices in education
Thrilled, I could see the pupils learn new stuff, help them expand their minds. I'd handle the class well, too. On the top of my world!

Developing ICT systems in the organization and participating in the creation of strategy
I'd be very concentrated, a bit tense perhaps, for having to be involved with such big ideas. I'd be pressured to learn on my free time.

Planning for marketing campaigns and applying marketing research to the marketing strategy
I'd like making money for my company, but I'd have to make an appealing message and fine-tune it over and over again so It'd be most satisfying. Terrible, really.

Evaluating and developing the company image, writing press releases and organizing press conferences
Why not, I'd like the prestige of being presentable, unsure how well I'd do though, I'd be stressed from performing sub-par, if the expectations are very high. I'd be a bit stressed though excited too.

Developing the use of land in a city, evaluating building projects and granting construction permits
More relaxing. I'd have to research a lot of info about pedestrian movement, traffic, etc, but in the end, I'd like it. I'd be calm at the end of the day.

Researching the history and methods of acting and writing a textbook for drama students
The independence of it all might seem good for the start, but I'd be bored from the lack of human contact. Without input, I'd start to suspect the quality of the work, too.

Programming the game AI of a first person shooter and coordinating with the game testers
Lot of detailed work, I'd be thrilled at the idea of making human-like opponents and giving thrills for the gamers. I'd be somewhat tired but content after a day.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
8 hour day.

I'd probably let my family die of starvation before I did this.

Does it have to be natural science?

I 'spose theoretical physics wouldn't be so bad. Any science that raises serious epistemological or metaphysical questions would be great.

I have no idea what this is, but I like strategy.

Planning for marketing campaigns and applying marketing research for the marketing strategy

Unless it's marketing strategy. Kill me now.

Am I allowed to give honest evaluations? Were the company virtuous, I could do this job without complaint.

If I were the primary visionary/planner, then I'd enjoy this job. Otherwise, it'd just be a paycheck.

I'd like the autonomy, but... acting? The subject would bore me to tears.

If I don't become a philosophy professor, this is what I'd want to do. The philosophy and mathematics that goes into this is mind-boggling. Writing computer programs that are isomorphisms of the mind? Nergasm.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
This would be so cool.

No, but i would like to be taught it.

No, i only like taking computers apart so see where everything goes.

Although i have never tried it, it could be interesting.

No.

I could do parts of this job. When bored, hand it over. :)

I would be interested in this if working with an xNTJ.

Boring.

P

Phantonym

This I could actually imagine doing.

Science is so not my thing.

Yawn.

I don't think so.

Nah. Sounds pretty boring.

I'd love that!

Excellent!

Whoa. Cool. I'd give it a go.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I would probably like this pretty well. It would get a little frustrating when my advice for preventing future trouble was ignored (as it would be), but overall I'd like it.

I would *really* like this. Science, teaching, and actually being able to change the curriculum to optimize learning and thinking (as opposed to "teaching to the test" - which is why I don't actually go into teaching). Most likely fun (except for dealing with parents).

This is somewhat what I do now (except that my opinion is mostly ignored). Developing systems and strategy - definite yes. Dealing with all of the red tape and ass-covering crap that's endemic in the industry? Yuck.

No way. I find "marketing" something that society would be better off without. One of the worst things about modern society - and I'm not *that* big a hypocrite (plus, I'd hate it :D).

See marketing question. Yuck.

I think I'd like this, especially the large-scale land use development strategy (less so in the granting permits part).

Ehhhnh. Nothing special about this for me. Acting itself might be fun, but the research and textbook-writing sounds pretty dull.

Programming the game AI of a first person shooter and coordinating with the game testers In a lot of ways, game programming is what I *wish* I'd done instead of going into biology. I've a friend who did that, and his job seems much more fulfilling than mine - although the hours and stress in this field *suck*. But as far as interest and enjoyment, I'd like this (but probably on a non-FPS genre :yes:).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Preventing, diagnosing and treating work-related illness and writing medical certificates Pretty excellent! Excited.. Reading up on stuff.
Teaching natural sciences in a private school and developing the best practices in education I think I would feel pretty good after this. Bringing this kind of job home with me would stress me out though.
Developing ICT systems in the organization and participating in the creation of strategy Incompetent, stressed. Tired.
Planning for marketing campaigns and applying marketing research to the marketing strategy Pretty good, a bit stressed.
Evaluating and developing the company image, writing press releases and organizing press conferences Great! Energized. Especially after I got the hang of it.
Developing the use of land in a city, evaluating building projects and granting construction permits Okay.. possibly a little bit bored.
Researching the history and methods of acting and writing a textbook for drama students Argh. Terribly bored. Frustrated with life. Not enough interaction there.
Programming the game AI of a first person shooter and coordinating with the game testers Frustrated. Not enough of a perfectionist for that job. Wouldn't mind coordinating with the game testers but would hate the programming part.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
8 hour day.

I had the option of going to med school after high school since my grades were good, but I refused because I couldn't see myself doing something like this. So, no, I wouldn't feel good.

Sounds good, as long as it was well-paid, I would feel really good (here teaching is not well paid, if below university level).

I'd like the first part, dislike the second. Strategy is too vague.

Extremely bad. I hate marketing and think it's absolutely useless. I'd feel like I'm wasting my life.

Similar to the above, I would feel horrible.

This sounds really good, especially if I knew the city very well, I could interact with the population, with the architects and engineers from the city...yes, this would be ideal.

Ohoho, no way I could do this.

Programming the game AI of a first person shooter and coordinating with the game testers[/QUOTE]

Programming would bore me, I think. I could do it if I had a lot of flexibility, but as a rule of thumb I'd prefer jobs that allowed me to interact with people and be outdoors.

JakeReckons

MBTI Type
INFP
Not so great, I don't think I could stand listening to people complaining about getting screwed over on the job. I'd be counting the minutes until 8 hrs was up.

Grade school? No thanks, the kids don't actually want to be in class. Frustrated at deaf ears. Higher education? I'd love it, I really enjoy explaining things coherently, everybody tells me I'm great at it. Fulfilled, like I've done something good, and done it well.

I'd rather drop a server on my head.

Could I just sell my soul directly to the Devil? I think he'd give me a better price. I'd feel cheap and used.

See above.

(Aesthetic design * large scale feng shui) + (functionality * creativity) = Win
American cities need more character and less efficiency, IMO
Accomplished, satisfied, happy that others might appreciate my work.

Dramatic effect can't be taught, I'd be wasting my time .: Boreddd.

I'd rather speak Klingon than 0110010001. I wouldn't make it through 8 hrs, so I can't answer the question.

Last edited:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I like med stuff and diagnosing, if it was really routine, then might get bored.

Could be quite fun. I like teaching, I'm not always a fan of teaching high school students though. So that might be a problem.

I just read what an ICT system is :). Could be fun and challenging.

I love marketing. So would be up for this.

Yep, as long as I got to tell the truth most of the time.

More planning. Don't mind it if there is creative designing and solutions involved.

I'd be quite interested in this. Maybe not good at it though.

I think AI would be a pretty interesting area to plan and program.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Only would like it if they were really serious illnesses

shoot me.

no.

shoot me.

shoot me.

shoot me.

shoot me twice.

three times.

well, i don't know what i like.. so one out of eight isn't bad

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Medical stuff usually weirds me out as it involves touching strangers and bodily fluids. I think I would be tired and bored and grossed out.

I'm not a big science fan, and kids can be such a pain, but teaching appeals to me on some levels. I might feel very drained though.

Sounds very technical, which usually bores me. The creation of strategy part sounds interesting though.

I've essentially done this. Coming up with the strategy is fun, but dealing with the clients is a pain in the butt and frustrating.

I would enjoy this except for the press conferences part. I'm not good at networking or public speaking. Branding is something I like to do though. I think I would be tired in a good way, and challenged.

This sounds okay in theory, but I have a feeling it's just a lot of paperwork, businesses nagging you, and red tape. Very annoying and tiring.

This sounds pretty cool. I think I would enjoy this.

I would hate this because it promotes violence and I don't like that. Programming sounds horribly dull.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This would be ok, not great but not bad either.

I would like it for a couple of years and then get bored.

This sounds like something I'd really like.

Sounds ok.

I don't think I'd care for this.

This sounds interesting. I don't think I know enough to tell if I'd like it or hate it. If there is a lot of paperwork or structure then I'd probably hate it. Otherwise it sounds like a good job.

This would be interesting, but I'd wish I had more people interaction.

This might be the best one on the list for me. It sounds fun.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Somewhat anxious, but otherwise okay.

I think I would be intrigued, but feel somewhat overworked/tired.

Quite stimulated and intrigued.

Silly and obsessive, perhaps a bit tired.

Serious and focused.

Contemplative, forward-thinking, curious.

Neutral, a bit mechanical.

Extremely tense/nervous, but excited.

These jobs are much easier to imagine than the ones on 3, and evoke a greater variety of responses than 1 and 2.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I could do this but wouldn't want to, medical stuff isn't my thing.

I'd love to do this.

I think I'd enjoy doing this, but I imagine some tasks would be very difficult and frustrating for me and I'd feel like crap if I couldn't do my job well.

Eh... Marketing. No.

This really isn't my thing, I'm not concerned about "image".

I think I could definitely do this, but it isn't really what I'd want to do.

This would be god awful.

I love video games, even though this would take a lot of work I'd enjoy it.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
8 hour day.

Software developers working 8 hrs / day? Don't be silly. That's why Google employees five star treatment--so they won't go home.

Yes. I worked for a data mining company and I have long had an interest in AI. I plan to make use of AI, technically data mining techniques, but not for any game.

For a games you're talking some kind of expert/knowledge based system for game play and possibly several support vector machine instances for realism. The smallest details can make a huge difference. If you've watched the TV show Lie to Me, you can see the subtleties of body language that need to be reproduced. Notice how even simple emoticons can have such a profound impact on peoples emotions. Simplest things are extremely hard to reproduce correctly. A sprinkling of AI can help, but takes years of refinement to get right.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I did mostly 2-6 hr days, and didn't go to jobs that needed 10+ hrs. So I missed some money and made my life tolerable :) I've simply refused to work overtime just because it's expected of the job or something like that. Now I think I could have done extra hours for a year or two, to gain experience. Even measly programmers don't have to submit to their employer's every whim, if they got any leverage to negotiate.

Game AI is practically weak AI and an expert system. THere's no single one method for weak AI. It might use minimum path algorithm for finding places, and some neural algorithm to match the situation with a database of real situtations to decide the overall strategy. Or, it could be mostly scripted by explicit rules found out by experts.

This kind of thing can be nicely done by one person, imho. Perhaps two or a maximum of three. Some great bots have been written by one person. Facial expressions, slight movement etc. might not be related to major game decisions, limiting them out of scope from the programming of AI.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds satisfying, but perhaps a bit dry. Depends on work environment and how much % of it is paper work.

Challenging, but draining.

Enjoyable, especially if I don't have to carry out said strategy! :D

Could be really fun or really rotten. I would enjoy researching the psychological elements, at the very least.

Stressed and tired.

Overwhelmed and out of place.

Interest piqued. I'd enjoy this challenge, although I'd have alot to learn.

Sounds neat! As long as I can avoid the crunch time phase. :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I gave them ratings too, 10 being the best, 1 the worst.

- Could be interesting, stimulating, and helpful too. However I also wouldn't like the idea of dealing with ill people.
Rating: 6.0

- I guess this would be alright. Problem is I don't like teaching people. It would seem like an easy job if I know the subject material, but I wouldn't want to be in charge of so many kids' grades like that, nor am I good at teaching.
Rating: 5.0

- This could potentially be interesting, but also mentally taxing. I think the good outweighs the bad though, I see this job as stimulating and intriguing.
Rating: 7.0

- Boooorrrringg. Also I would probably not be good at it. AND it would probably be stressful, with the marketing risks involved.
Rating: 3.5

- Eh, I wouldn't like to be in charge of the press conferences, but writing press releases doesn't sound bad. I would not be good at developing the company image though, because it sounds like it involves advertising and propaganda of some sort. Sounds okay, but not really great.

- This I think I would like. I would like dealing with the construction of buildings, and the layout of land too. Only thing is I don't like very tall heights so if I do have to actually go on top of one of these skyscrapers, I'd be terrified. Otherwise, seems great.
Rating: 7.0

- I don't like the actual topic of acting or drama, and I'm not good at it. But the writing of the textbook and the history is interesting to me. Unfortunately the bad outweighs the good here.

- Haha probably my dream job, being a video game lover. And I know some programming, so if I learn the language (if need be), then this job would be awesome. Don't really see any bad to this job.
Rating: 9.0

attetude

MBTI Type
xxxx
In a way I would like to hear about their problems, but most of them would be eventually the same.

Natural scienses. :doh: Unless I couldn't show my views of evolution on everything.

This is what I am graduating to. Boring, sucks, and all the people working there are too interested about living a normal life of success.

I like marketing. If they would only listen to my ideas. I have some.

If it was my company.

I would most likely take some bribes, like everyone before in this job.

This might be something I like. I'd like to show some examples to students.

Programmers... I will never be one.