• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

asperger thread

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to complicate this a little...
Am I the only one that thinks ADD and AS are grossly over-diagnosed in the USA?
Surely there is truth behind these disorders, but they've become so sensational that it seems like half of the population is suspect of having one or the other.

Also, my stomach buckles at the rate we proscribe psychiatric pills to children. It's appallingly reckless. How the fuck do you know a seven-year-old has a bipolar disorder?! People have been giving ADD pills to kids at the age of two. This just seems so wrong.

MerkW

Poriferan is quite right. In fact, most psychiatric disorders are over-diagnosed in the United States. I once recall reading somewhere that 60% of New York City inhabitants are currently using psychiatric medication of some variation. That is quite disturbing.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Am I the only one that thinks ADD and AS are grossly over-diagnosed in the USA?

I don't know if it's just in the USA (possibly, but I'm not sure), but I agree that these "disorders" are over-diagnosed.

People seem to associate AS with simply being unsocial, or they self-diagnose themselves with such things as Asperger's, schizophrenia, or OCD by taking Internet questionnaires written by quacks, for all we know.

I think these whole disease-labeling scenarios is a product of the societal higher-ups (most likely SJs), who, above all, attempt to maintain a status quo and determine what is and isn't appropriate, and could thus label any non-conforming behavior (such as not socializing or acting wild) as a disorder.

MerkW

I don't know if it's just in the USA (possibly, but I'm not sure), but I agree that these "disorders" are over-diagnosed.

People seem to associate AS with simply being unsocial, or they self-diagnose themselves with such things as Asperger's, schizophrenia, or OCD by taking Internet questionnaires written by quacks, for all we know.

I think these whole disease-labeling scenarios is a product of the societal higher-ups (most likely SJs), who, above all, attempt to maintain a status quo and determine what is and isn't appropriate, and could thus label any non-conforming behavior (such as not socializing or acting wild) as a disorder.

Technically speaking, is anything strictly sane or insane? Who defines sanity? The haughty SJs Freudian-bureaucrats at the top of the tree? Quite possibly. Does that make it the truth? Far from so.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, there's certainly a profit in running a thousand over-priced procedures and giving everyone pills.

Yeah, that's true.

But as for the diagnoses of mental disorders, I think it's relative to cultural values. In the US, for example, narcissism (which, for all intents and purposes, should be classified as a disorder) is considered acceptable and even healthy.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was diagnosed last February with Asperger's Syndrome. I always knew I was different, but my doctor helped me out with the information. Most of my life makes sense to me now, though I may be a bit too old to change some things, now I have a better understanding of AS and what others have gone through as well. The way I figure it is that people with Asperger's Syndrome can have different MBTI types. I have ISTP. On one of the posts, the person talked about a daughter being ENTP with AS.
It is not surprising someone is coming out as an ISTP. It seems to be expected because the aspergers tend to represent their own (=IT) type. Do you have the MBTI test results?
Take the test many times. With aspergers the result should keep changing.
Not with me though. For some very curious reason I am a fixed NP.

Welcome to the board.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is not surprising someone is coming out as an ISTP. It seems to be expected because the aspergers tend to represent their own (=IT) type. Do you have the MBTI test results?
Take the test many times. With aspergers the result should keep changing.
Not with me though. For some very curious reason I am a fixed NP.

Welcome to the board.

It seems AS is universally made up of IxTx, but based on the online statistics in one thread linked to Asperger's and Human Metrics statistics, the INTJ, INTP, and ISTJ were the most common, and most of the S-types were mild S's.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It seems AS is universally made up of IxTx, but based on the online statistics in one thread linked to Asperger's and Human Metrics statistics, the INTJ, INTP, and ISTJ were the most common, and most of the S-types were mild S's.
Exactly.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, that's true.

But as for the diagnoses of mental disorders, I think it's relative to cultural values. In the US, for example, narcissism (which, for all intents and purposes, should be classified as a disorder) is considered acceptable and even healthy.
Exactly.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In socionics, the ENTp and INTj descriptions seem to be the most associated with mildly autistic behavior than any other type.

(In socionics, Einstein is considered an ENTp, not Keirsey's INTP.)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
In socionics, the ENTp and INTj descriptions seem to be the most associated with mildly autistic behavior than any other type.

(In socionics, Einstein is considered an ENTp, not Keirsey's INTP.)
The absent minded professor?

Einstein was the classic asperger type. He did not understand that he needed pills!
And what if he had taken those pills- would he be Einstein then?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And what if he had taken those pills- would he be Einstein then?

Excellent question...

Though when I take my pills (30 mg Paxil cut in half to make 15 mg), my intrusive thoughts are leveled some, and then I stop taking the pills.

Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics are more suitable for treating Asperger co-morbidities, namely obsessive-compulsive disorder (not obsessive-compulsive personality disorder), but not Asperger itself.

I have OCD tendencies with my AS, such as intrusive thoughts mentioned above, but it's just not the textbook version -- as in I'm not a compulsive hand washer.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In a lot of ways, I feel like I'd rather be crazy than change my mind with pills. :(

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Excellent question...

Though when I take my pills (30 mg Paxil cut in half to make 15 mg), my intrusive thoughts are leveled some, and then I stop taking the pills.

Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics are more suitable for treating Asperger co-morbidities, namely obsessive-compulsive disorder (not obsessive-compulsive personality disorder), but not Asperger itself.

I have OCD tendencies with my AS, such as intrusive thoughts mentioned above, but it's just not the textbook version -- as in I'm not a compulsive hand washer.
My daughter has AS and OCD.. she was given pills by some quack doctor. Speed that is.

I have a mild OCD as well. But I guess I am used to the intrusive thoughts. They come and they go. To hell with them.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
In a lot of ways, I feel like I'd rather be crazy than change my mind with pills. :(

It does seem odd that that psychological issues are talked about in terms of "normal' rather than "useful", "does well in life", "happy without causing problems for others", etc. (Certainly, someone with a great photographic memory, or who has an amazing ability to read people isn't normal.) It may make it easier ot treat conditions that do become problems, since instead of focusing on how to turn the people "normal", the person could be helped or developed in a way that makes them handle life and other people better. (Some of this probably is how a lot of help is given, but it would be useful to say it out loud perhaps.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only want to use pills insofar as making me feel less anxious (if they do that trick, and sometimes they do). I can't say I care how my outward behavior comes across toward other people.

Kanamori

Well, there are a couple of autistics in my family, and I score highly on the general autistic tests w/o being autistic, but you probably guessed that already. I can relate to some of what you've said in general, as in everything, but still am weirded out by some of it... Maybe a little drunk, so wherever that puts me, I probably belong.