• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

asperger thread

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone on the Internet forums has Asperger's, FM. ;)

MerkW

I didn't know about Asperger's until I joined this forum. After reading up on it, a lot of the symptoms actually seem to fit me. Can anyone outline what would differentiate Asperger's from love-shyness or social anxiety disorder? I'm not one of those people that sees a disease in the news and automatically thinks that they have it. I just think that if I could put a name to what is different about me then I'd feel a little less like a freak. Thanks!

There are MANY differences between social anxiety and Asperger Syndrome. Asperger Syndrome is much more complex.

For one, people who are socially anxious are simply overwhelmed with anxiety in social situations. People with AS may similarly be anxious, but there is also another factor. People with AS have problems reading facial expressions and tone variations. They may similarly have an odd monotonous or sing-song voice, and may often have an expressionless face. People with AS may interpret speech literally. They may have trouble distinguishing what is considered socially appropriate or not. They may have trouble expressing empathy in conventional ways. People with AS also usually have intense interests that may even seem obsessive. People with AS may also express rigid OCD-like rituals. People with AS might also have various sensory disturbances, not to mention occasional problems with motor coordination.

MBTI Type
INTJ
There are MANY differences between social anxiety and Asperger Syndrome. Asperger Syndrome is much more complex.

For one, people who are socially anxious are simply overwhelmed with anxiety in social situations. People with AS may similarly be anxious, but there is also another factor. People with AS have problems reading facial expressions and tone variations. They may similarly have an odd monotonous or sing-song voice, and may often have an expressionless face. People with AS may interpret speech literally. They may have trouble distinguishing what is considered socially appropriate or not. They may have trouble expressing empathy in conventional ways. People with AS also usually have intense interests that may even seem obsessive. People with AS may also express rigid OCD-like rituals. People with AS might also have various sensory disturbances, not to mention occasional problems with motor coordination.

Thank you, Merkw. These are ones that definitely apply to me. I had obsessive interests as a child, but that has mellowed with age. I don't really have OCD tendencies at all, with the exception of having to keep things on my desk flush with the corners. I'd say maybe it's possible I have a mild case (if there even is such a thing), but probably more likely that I just have severe social anxiety and that my incompetence at social ritual is more a result of lack of practice.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, Merkw is absolutely right.

An example of my Asperger trait is my tendency to keep on joking while everyone has moved on. Or I tend to talk about the same issue after the conversation has moved onto something else.

I used to be unaware of what is socially appropriate and I still tend to be. Sometimes I'll make jokes in public that are very inside, and no one understands me. However, other times I am aware of socially appropriate behavior but I just don't care because, to me, social niceties are just a set of pointless rules, most of which exist because society at large fears anything that hints the idea of change.

Sometimes I'll exhibit socially bad habits such as chewing with my mouth open or slurping hot liquid such as soup or coffee. I will be told to stop, but I tend to refuse to, because it doesn't bother me when other people do it. So I guess by doing such acts in public, I'm saying that if I'm not bothered by it, then why is everyone else? I feel that the only reason people say it disgusts them is because that's what they were taught. And I just tend to laugh at those people's foolery.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I once pretended to have Aspergers when my parents made me go to a school function I wanted nothing to do with. It was a good way to make what would have been an atrocious evening into a fun no-trouble-for-me, chaotic* ruined (ridiculous and annoying) waste of school's money.

*exaggeration

I know it's kind of not fair to the people who actually have asp. and try to overcome the inherent social problems; furthering the damage to the reputation and all, but I couldn't resist. Sorry guys.

MerkW

I once pretended to have Aspergers when my parents made me go to a school function I wanted nothing to do with. It was a good way to make what would have been an atrocious evening into a fun no-trouble-for-me, chaotic* ruined (ridiculous and annoying) waste of school's money.

Would you care to elaborate on the whole situation?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Would you care to elaborate on the whole situation?

Not really. I probably did a horrible impression -- I had only read about it by that point, and most of I had read was that they have trouble knowing what's not acceptable: social customs and such. Really it was more like, aspergers was my excuse. I guess I shouldn't say that I actually impersonated someone with it (now that I am telling the truth about it).

hommefatal

I can identify with any sickness. I have already identified with both ADHD, and AS. I'd say by the descriptions it's much more ADHD. I can't look people into the eyes and stuff though.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do not have a confirmed diagnosis as far as I know, but was recognized as somewhere on the autism spectrum at my schools. The details of how that happened are still not clear, though I do believe based on my obsessive study on the matter that I am mildly neuro-atypical.

People with AS have problems reading facial expressions and tone variations.

I may actually be close to average at doing this now, but only after 20 years of picking up the patterns. It is somewhat easy to guess how someone is feeling if you map the shape of their eyebrows and/or match their face to the appropriate emoticon.

They may similarly have an odd monotonous or sing-song voice, and may often have an expressionless face.

My voice is somewhat sing-song normally, but switches to monotonous when in lecture mode. I am not sure about my face, though I have been told that my facial expressions do not match my emotional state.

People with AS may interpret speech literally.

Yep, has got me in trouble countless times.

They may have trouble distinguishing what is considered socially appropriate or not.

I have also picked some of this up through patterns, though I still do not believe these things are inappropriate.

They may have trouble expressing empathy in conventional ways.

Yes, it is very awkward for me to express empathy, if I try to.

People with AS also usually have intense interests that may even seem obsessive.

Yes, I have had many intense interests over the years. I would consider my current interest in typology to be pretty obsessive ;)

People with AS may also express rigid OCD-like rituals.

I'm not sure about this. I seem to run by some sort of complex ritual system that I can't even really put words to.

People with AS might also have various sensory disturbances, not to mention occasional problems with motor coordination.

I have some mild sensory disturbances, and I am hopelessly uncoordinated.

My type is INTP, and my most recent cognitive function order is: Ti, Ne, Fi, Te, Ni, Si, Se, Fe

Also, on this quiz I tend to score about 170/30 Aspie/Neurotypical

I have tons more I could say about this, but for now I'll just answer any questions that come my way.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I can identify with any sickness. I have already identified with both ADHD, and AS. I'd say by the descriptions it's much more ADHD. I can't look people into the eyes and stuff though.

You just busted the sterotype that only INTP's hav eit. +1 :D!

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Would my ability to symbolise others be seen as an asperger state. I'm thinking I could be mildly asperger because my relationship, career and friendship success has been so limited in my life.

You know I seem to be able to make friends outside of my peer group in real life with women in their 40-50+ range, which is all very well and good…but what about my peer group, why am I struggling to make friends with women in my peer group…while my aim is to have a social group of 4 close male friends, my desire to know 4 close female friends in my peer group is still pending.

Although I do definitely think this entire realm is in murky water and is changeable. In other words I am highly skeptical of the references that are being made to this being a genetic predisposition as opposed to a more manufactured state. A heightened susceptibility to the stimuli that are found in the environment today sounds more certain. For instance my ADD started due to adrenal insufficiency as did the hypoglycemia. so the attention deficit has a basis in what is causing this, sugar, yet why did the stress response deplete my adrenal reserves. Should then my body return to a better state if my immune system wasn't compromised. Its like the brain connectivity that it takes to translate the loops that feed the mind. There is a reason that these connections are disrupted and while putting a name that comes from pseudo science like the DMSV and other itinerary is all fine. The bottom line is there is something very real going on that can be addressed.

I've described this feeling like being stuck in a metal shaped ball in terms of social integration. When the repaired connections are restored the full effect feels like the metal shaped ball is able to fully expand into the personality that is sociable. In that respect the restricted hemisphere of the brain that creates the ques needs to be repaired.

There are some things my intuition says that point to this phenomenon occurring and they are as follows.

Some people say that this is a food allergy I disagree, because what is causing the food allergy, it is not the allergy to the food but what disruption goes in the bodies state that is accommodating the food allergy. And none more common are Endocrine Inhibitors. And what are the worst endocrine inhibitors for sensitive immune systems but plastics, fluorides and heavy metals amongst other things. When the body is unable to process and expel toxins especially when the way the body is wired then yes the disruption to the mind sphere will be devastatingly apparent. And where do these things used to be introduced, vaccines and amalgams, then environment plastics and fluorides. Medications and food that you consume, more, once you get a built up in your system the toxins will stay there. Then surprise surprise when you get injected with high doses of substances that are foreign for the body to process the body goes into defense and locks out the connectivity that is crucial for development. Then constantly being exposed to disruptions without expelling that which is toxic continues to compromise the immune system.

Brooke's Online Book

Mercury and Lead
Autistic individuals seem to usually have a higher content of toxic heavy metals in their bodies than others. There are many theories as to why this might be. The main two theories, and it's possible that both are true, is that these people are exposed to more heavy metals, and/or that their bodies are unable to process and remove those heavy metals out of their body in a normal way.

The main metals we are referring to are mercury and lead. They are the most common, and do the most harm to the body. Both metals poison and harm the body in many ways. Mercury, for example, strips myelin (the protective sheath) away from nerve endings, rendering those nerves useless. These metals can come from a variety of sources, the most common sources are mercury dental amalgam fillings; vaccinations, especially those with thimerosal, a mercury based preservative; eating mercury tainted fish; lead paint; and pesticides. If you or those in your family are susceptible to autism spectrum disorders, it might be wise to avoid these products and keep them away from your body.

High Metabolism and Lack of Enough Digested Food
The effect of this fast metabolism is that I use up any energy I receive from food very quickly. To be in this condition, and to be eating a diet in which a majority of what I ate was gluten or dairy, and therefore, indigestible, left me with very little food to use. I was tired, showed signs of malnutrition, had weak muscles from lack of glycogen storage in my muscles, and presented with hormonal problems (energy and hormone problems to be discussed in future portions of this report). To put it simply, I wasn't getting enough food. I was like an overweight anorexic.

I have shown symptoms of hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, and pituitary disorders. I have begun learning that gluten, to a gluten-intolerant person, in addition to autism-related malnutrition, can wreck so much havoc on the body chemically as to prevent hormone signals from being properly generated and transmitted. This can shut down many systems, and be the cause of many problems such as lack of ovulation, female and male infertility, miscarriage, adrenal insufficiency, low energy levels, low libido, and dysmenorrhea. Other possible effects of these problems are low levels of hormone and endocrine production levels, including low thyroid hormone, low cortisol, low estrogen, low production of pancreatic enzymes, and the possibility of improper levels of hormones being generated in every organ in the endocrine system.

Synesthesia
Synesthesia is actually one of the cooler side effects of Asperger's Syndrome, in my experience. Synesthesia is a condition in which some of the senses get mixed up. For example, one might see colors in numbers, or at least, always think of the same color when a certain number is mentioned or read. Days of the week or months of the year might also elicit thoughts of a specific color each time they are thought of. For me, each of the ten digits makes me think of a certain color every time I see or hear those numbers. I enjoy it, it helps with my numerical memory. Synesthesia can apply to numbers, letters, sounds, musical notes, musical chords, or more. Other senses could be involved, such as tasting a word, or seeing sound.

Brain Fog
Another common problem in autism, as caused by a less-than-healthy body, is what's known as Brain Fog. In this condition, the brain and thought processes simply don't work as well as they should, or could. The person knows they can think fast, better, but they can't seem to get it done. It's incredibly frustrating and can halt achievements and progress. It is suggested that toxin build up in the body is preventing the accurate function of the brain. Personally, I agree with that theory. On page 45 of Children with Starving Brains, the authors illustrate in pathogenic detail how inflammatory reactions in the digestive tract from eating the wrong foods can lead to deleterious effects on brain health and ability. They go on to state that eating a GFCF diet, if needed, and eliminating deficiencies of essentials such as Vitamins B6 and B12, fatty acids, calcium, copper, magnesium, and zinc, can help the brain work more efficiently. Every person is different in their needs, but it appears certain that there is a biomedical reason for such problems as brain fog.

You don't need pattern recognition to see where this is going.

I've got brainfog, i've got hypoglycemia, i've got synesthesia i think, hypothyroid, adrenal and pituitary disconnect hahaha I diagnose myself asperger.

Why suggest a Gluten-Free and Casein-Free Diet. (GFCF Diet). Because this feeds the yeast overgrowth, candida and then other infections occur that disrupt the bodies natural ability to strengthen the immune system response against metals and chemical disruptor in the body that are causing the imbalance.

That was interesting but probably highly flawed.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Would my ability to symbolise others be seen as an asperger state. I'm thinking I could be mildly asperger because my relationship, career and friendship success has been so limited in my life.

You know I seem to be able to make friends outside of my peer group in real life with women in their 40-50+ range, which is all very well and good…but what about my peer group, why am I struggling to make friends with women in my peer group…while my aim is to have a social group of 4 close male friends, my desire to know 4 close female friends in my peer group is still pending.

Although I do definitely think this entire realm is in murky water and is changeable. In other words I am highly skeptical of the references that are being made to this being a genetic predisposition as opposed to a more manufactured state. A heightened susceptibility to the stimuli that are found in the environment today sounds more certain. For instance my ADD started due to adrenal insufficiency as did the hypoglycemia. so the attention deficit has a basis in what is causing this, sugar, yet why did the stress response deplete my adrenal reserves. Should then my body return to a better state if my immune system wasn't compromised. Its like the brain connectivity that it takes to translate the loops that feed the mind. There is a reason that these connections are disrupted and while putting a name that comes from pseudo science like the DMSV and other itinerary is all fine. The bottom line is there is something very real going on that can be addressed.

I've described this feeling like being stuck in a metal shaped ball in terms of social integration. When the repaired connections are restored the full effect feels like the metal shaped ball is able to fully expand into the personality that is sociable. In that respect the restricted hemisphere of the brain that creates the ques needs to be repaired.

There are some things my intuition says that point to this phenomenon occurring and they are as follows.

Some people say that this is a food allergy I disagree, because what is causing the food allergy, it is not the allergy to the food but what disruption goes in the bodies state that is accommodating the food allergy. And none more common are Endocrine Inhibitors. And what are the worst endocrine inhibitors for sensitive immune systems but plastics, fluorides and heavy metals amongst other things. When the body is unable to process and expel toxins especially when the way the body is wired then yes the disruption to the mind sphere will be devastatingly apparent. And where do these things used to be introduced, vaccines and amalgams, then environment plastics and fluorides. Medications and food that you consume, more, once you get a built up in your system the toxins will stay there. Then surprise surprise when you get injected with high doses of substances that are foreign for the body to process the body goes into defense and locks out the connectivity that is crucial for development. Then constantly being exposed to disruptions without expelling that which is toxic continues to compromise the immune system.

Brooke's Online Book

You don't need pattern recognition to see where this is going.

I've got brainfog, i've got hypoglycemia, i've got synesthesia i think, hypothyroid, adrenal and pituitary disconnect hahaha I diagnose myself asperger.

Why suggest a Gluten-Free and Casein-Free Diet. (GFCF Diet). Because this feeds the yeast overgrowth, candida and then other infections occur that disrupt the bodies natural ability to strengthen the immune system response against metals and chemical disruptor in the body that are causing the imbalance.

That was interesting but probably highly flawed.
Do you have black rings under the eyes?

The immunity defect does not rule out the genetic disposition. :)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Bump. I think this thread would be interesting continued today. I know that autism can be socially isolating and make things hard so Im hoping maybe this thread and increased awareness and communication might help people with this feel more understood and heard maybe?

I dont have autism but Im interested in learning and hearing about it