• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mind maps

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is a second time I'm using them on a consistent basis. I think they are speeding up the discovery of my life's important topics tremendously. I can't force it too much though - I can't spend my all time writing mind maps and expect to advance my life just as much. It's more of a tool to arrange life, thoughts, and speed up the important points, ideas, moods about it.

In short, I must live life to make a new mind map.

But, it's an invaluable tool. Whaddya think of it?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is a second time I'm using them on a consistent basis. I think they are speeding up the discovery of my life's important topics tremendously. I can't force it too much though - I can't spend my all time writing mind maps and expect to advance my life just as much. It's more of a tool to arrange life, thoughts, and speed up the important points, ideas, moods about it.

In short, I must live life to make a new mind map.

But, it's an invaluable tool. Whaddya think of it?

I had to look this up to find out just what in the hell is a mind map, but when I found it and read up on it, I realized that it seems as if it could be a fantastic brainstorming/inspiration tool. :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had to look this up to find out just what in the hell is a mind map, but when I found it and read up on it, I realized that it seems as if it could be a fantastic brainstorming/inspiration tool. :)

Mind map

Thank you guys for explaining what this is. I have never heard of one before.

Jaguar

Right up my alley, Santtu.
Great for creative thinking.

Thanks for reminding me about them. :D

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I read a couple of books on the subject many years ago. I don't know what to say other than it helped me out a lot with my studies, tests, etc.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So in short, mind map starts with a certain idea you're thinking about. You write in in the center. You want to solve it, you want to organize it, gain insight about it, or just be inspirated about it. Goals are free.

So you go by your own processes, and add what you think are relevant points to it. Some things you associate with it. There can be many things you associate with a given subject. One thought leads to another, etc.

In the end, the whole construction is like a tree that branches in every direction from the centre.

The method incidentally emulates the way our neurons arrange information. The strongest associations are connected and close to each other. Other strong associations are close to each other, but perhaps not connected. Writing a mind map reveals oneself facts about values, associations and priorities. Or, so I feel.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Did you apply it to arrange something external only, like study subjects, or did you even write a mind map of your personal thoughts and strategies as well?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i gradually learned to do something like this. i just majorly revised my 80 page thesis. i had these for each topic heading. i also made one of these yesterday when i was reading a 32 page thread. it helps me see connections in a concrete way, so that i can zoom in and out with a more overarching topology. i also remember experimentin with these when i was studying complex systems theory and topological models for social organization/formations.

i need to check this out and improve my ability to recognize my own cognitive process and improve it.

yesterday i decided i wanted to buy a scanner to improve my ability to store these visual representations of my understandings within various topics.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Can anyone recommend a good non-gimmicky book on this subject?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Isn't this basically the same idea behind doing an outline, only in a different format?

It seems like the circle in the center is like the heading or title of the outline, and the branches would be the subtopics and sub-subtopics.

Or does it just seem like this to me because I'm an NJ rather than an NP?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It's not just topics and subtopics, but associations. They are more powerful, more useful and follow one's own natural set of organizing things.

Taking an example from one of my own mind map - I'm just showing one branch;

................................ Adventure *
................................ /
.Enlightenment - Feeling - Freedom - Direction
......................... \
......................... Restriction - Cleaning

*(insert picture of a RPG Paladin here)

Sorry for bad formatting, the forum software erases my spaces.

There are other branches to enlightenment, but I dont show them here.

Feeling is a part of enlightenment, a result as well as a cause. I had the feeling I didn't have to let my mind go just one track just because I went to work every day. I had an enlightened feeling.

I had the feeling of freedom from a greater choice of options than before. I could look the day from a different angle. I could choose my own restrictions, or make them go away.

I had the restriction of inefficient workplace, and I realized I would have a flowing thought, feeling of freedom in there too, if I cleaned it up.

I would use freedom to take direction somewhere. Understanding my capability to think differently despite boring work, I could use my possibility now.

Exercising freedom would also take me to adventure, of which some RPG games are an image, whereas my adventure can be best realized by acting out my goals.

This organization provided a better understanding for me than a categorical approach.

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
I rather like this idea, it seems to be a rather noteworthy application of examination... thanks for a different light on what wasn't before.