• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Believe in Intuition?

T

ThatGirl

My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
No. That's your intuition wondering if there really is intuition. S-sters have intuition as well. Equal to ours. They just prefer the concrete. Just like N-sters obviously have senses. We just prefer abstract.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Nah it's a myth, Sasquatch is way more real than intuition.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I believe in intuition. There's just such a HUGE difference in the way that I think compared to the way my sensor friends think. I try to support my intuition with concrete logic, though. I don't trust gut-feeling alone. It's just common sense.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When you set aside the iNtuition aspect of Myers Briggs..I very much believe so in intuition.

I do get feelings about things. Should I go out tonight? Perhaps not. Sometimes it can be helpful, or maybe I make it out to be.

I frequently have dreams that foreshadow events in my life. I chapter them and can kind of predict when something is drastic is going to happen, it's worked before.

I don't think anybody can say it's not real when they don't know if it or not. Why not be open to it..

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Ironically, I do believe in gut feelings, it's one of the few things that actually helps me make decisions.

T

ThatGirl

Wats an intuition?

"Intuition" is a song by American pop singer-songwriter Jewel from her fourth studio album, 0304 (2003). Written and produced by Jewel and Lester Mendez, the track was released as the album's lead single in April 2003. ...

JK For the sake of this argument: instinctive knowing (without the use of rational processes)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
"Intuition" is a song by American pop singer-songwriter Jewel from her fourth studio album, 0304 (2003). Written and produced by Jewel and Lester Mendez, the track was released as the album's lead single in April 2003. ...

Oh ok. No, I don't believe in it.

redacted

My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?

Intuition is just a label we use for a process that we don't fully understand the neuroscience of yet.

It's not some magical thing or whatever, it's just a very very complex inductive process.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I don't believe in any human being able to know without being exposed to something. Many precognitive dreams are from the subconscious (which picks up a lot more than the conscious), so technically they are exposed to something without being aware of it.

Intuition as a Jung function I very much believe in.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Due to a few very strange predictive dreams I've had, i'm going to have to say yes..

I think that its just your brain subconsciously taking everything its seen and putting it together in reasonable sequence and organization and drawing conclusions-(USUALLY accurate ones.. although not ALWAYS.) whether you realize it or not.

(oops just copied skyward by accident!!

note to self: read threads before responding to them.. :doh: )

Jaguar

Now why would anyone expect a person like me who claims to prefer intuition,
to believe in intuition?

As John McEnroe would say: "You cannot be serious!"
I think someone in this thread needs to do some remedial reading about Ni.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
When you phrase it like "believe in intuition" that sort of... Comes across uncomfortably. Evidence supports its existence.

If you ever try programming something, you'll see how powerful intuition is. Breaking something down into a perfectly logical system is difficult (revealing quite a bit about intuition). From experience, I can tell you that coding bots to shoot each other is not as simple as just telling the bots to point and shoot. Bots, as we know them today, are stupid because they have no intuition.

Another great example I think is catching a ball. Somehow we manage to ignore the complex physics problem and just catch the ball.

Also, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the term "flow" before. It's a concept by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. He describes it basically as a state where we lose self-awareness and sort of just do things. Generally, we experience flow whenever an activity demands all of our attention (when the challenge perfectly meets our level of skill). (I think it occurs a lot while playing video games.) Through this experience we are able to better ourselves, raise ourselves to higher levels of skill, and generally just do things better. I'm not sure I fully understand the concept, but I think that may be intuition there seeing as how the decisions are not being made by any kind of conscious rationale.

Anyway, the fact that you get intuitive thoughts and then disregard them suggests to me that you are an N, as I never get any intuitive thoughts myself.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
to believe in intuition?

+1

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
to believe in intuition?

But how do you know it isn't real? I'm just bringing up a good point.

I think that anything unprovable should always be considered. Keep an open mind, and don't assume that you know more than you actually do.

Jaguar

But how do you know it isn't real? I'm just bringing up a good point.

I think that anything unprovable should always be considered. Keep an open mind, and don't assume that you know more than you actually do.

You need to read my post again.
Apparently, sarcasm is something you are completely unable to identify.
I am an intuitive. Now do you get it?

But my sarcasm went over your head like the rockets' red glare.
The bombs bursting in air.

Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Not only is my mind wide open to intuition,
I can't fathom there are people who actually think it doesn't exist.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Definitions of "intuition" range from conservative to a little wild:

From Merriam Webster: "1: quick and ready insight 2a: immediate apprehension or cognition"

From Dictionary.com: "direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension"

If we are using the second definition, intuition is equated with the 5 physical senses in that it is immediate perception without thought process. I would say there is no such thing. However if we are using a more lenient definition, then it exists and we can see evidence of it in flashes of insight (which obviously have some source in knowledge that is stored away) and even non-representational art (which is based on things that we have experienced before-color, shape, texture). Both of these require some pre-processed information, but produce something new.

Anyway. That's my take.