• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Believe in Intuition?

wolfy

awsm
For an SP at least Gary Klein hit it right on the head with his definition of intuition.

What's Your Intuition?

After many more interviews with veteran firefighters, Klein developed a radically different understanding of how intuition might work. Over time, as firefighters accumulate a storehouse of experiences, they subconsciously categorize fires according to how they should react to them. They create one mental catalog for fires that call for a search and rescue and another one for fires that require an interior attack. Then they race through their memories in a hyperdrive search to find a prototypical fire that resembles the fire that they are confronting. As soon as they recognize the right match, they swing into action.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
^ Yep. Intuition means you just do that naturally, subconsciously. Ne means you're constantly looking for patterns. Ni means you're constantly developing patterns.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?

Gut feeling has more to do with instincts (S) and FEELING (F). Not trusting it makes you NT. You're asking the wrong questions.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Intuition is associated with right-brain thinking, which deals with the quick and seemingly instant processing of information.

So perhaps "intuition" can be reduced to simply "thinking really fast".

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
So perhaps "intuition" can be reduced to simply "thinking really fast".

so fast that you yourself miss the rationality behind it? cuz 'thinking' is mostly sequential. and for something sequential, you can usually spot a pattern or logic...no such thing for the N...far as i can see

intuition, in the real world, is probably the brainchild of subconscious perception

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
so fast that you yourself miss the rationality behind it? cuz 'thinking' is mostly sequential. and for something sequential, you can usually spot a pattern or logic...no such thing for the N...far as i can see

intuition, in the real world, is probably the brainchild of subconscious perception

Much of our thinking takes place in the subterranean depths of our mind. It's subconscious reasoning.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think Intuition is the main ingredient of intelligence.
I think intuition can basically be summed up as the ability to understand things.
I think intuition is the ability to process concepts, and I think understanding is based on the ability to process concepts.
I believe that your ability to understand things depends on your ability to handle concepts.
I read in this article:
Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality
that N's are 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than S's.
That's a really huge difference and it really points to intuition as being the most important aspect of intelligence.

I think that thinking is the 2nd most important ingredient of intelligence.
I think that thinking ability is the ability to process information logically step by step. This is important for checking the validity of your ideas, but without intuition, I think that you wouldn't have the ability to understand things in the first place.
For example, a computer can process data logically and without making errors,
but it can't understand anything whatsoever. A computer has no intuition.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?

Not necessarily. I'm an S and I trust my intuition just as much or more than my logic.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I think Intuition is the main ingredient of intelligence.
I think intuition can basically be summed up as the ability to understand things.
I think intuition is the ability to process concepts, and I think understanding is based on the ability to process concepts.
I believe that your ability to understand things depends on your ability to handle concepts.
I read in this article:
Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality
that N's are 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than S's.
That's a really huge difference and it really points to intuition as being the most important aspect of intelligence.

I think that thinking is the 2nd most important ingredient of intelligence.
I think that thinking ability is the ability to process information logically step by step. This is important for checking the validity of your ideas, but without intuition, I think that you wouldn't have the ability to understand things in the first place.
For example, a computer can process data logically and without making errors,
but it can't understand anything whatsoever. A computer has no intuition.

interesting. I was listening to this radio show about intuition and it said children these days are about 47% intuitive or something, way above adults.

so if computers are on the thinking level, what can we create to simlulate intuition?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't instinctively know... I instinctively see. There's a difference there, between knowing and seeing... Knowing means knowing... and seeing is just seeing. You can Know but not See and you can See but not Know.

I See but don't Know. :yes:

Now does that mean I have intuition or no?

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
I used to dimiss my hunches or whatever you want to call them because they weren't provable, but again and again they ended up being right even when other people were sure they were wrong. After while, I started going with hunches and finding the stuff to back them up with afterward. People would be impressed with my grasp of the situation -- I'm referring to work situations. Now I try going with hunches with interpersonal stuff -- often this isn't as effective, partly, I think, because people are so complicated and partly because oftentimes they don't know themselves well enough to understand their motivations, so they deny what I tell them.

Snow Turtle

I don't usually rely on my gut feelings since I'm never certain whether it'll be correct or incorrect. However conscious processing of information is always going to be much slower than subconscious.

I mean... Fear itself is a briliant example of intuition at work. The downside is if your intuition is off base. There's always rationality behind things though, even if it might not seem rational to your conscious mind.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Intuition is the ONLY thing I believe in. It's what I see and hear that I don't trust. ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I experience it, and I believe in it when the outcome doesn't involve other people. It's a means to devise trial-and-error experiments for me, which I consider as "empirical test" on correctness of my intuition.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think intuition is a thing to believe or not. It simply is. I think there are much of scientific research of intuition these days. Intuition is quite opposite for rational thinking but it's no worse than rational thinking.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never used to. That was until recently, about a year ago, that I started to believe that (perhaps) intuition had helped me in some ways, and impartially provided me the way forward... regardless that I virtually (always) considered myself sane, and in-control.

... Nowadays, I'm tended to follow my intuition, although I present a kind of 'how-what-where-who' attitude toward it. I don't fall for it, easily, whether for the better or for the worse.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I certainly believe Ni exists. I believe it is a form of subconscious thought that ties to the conscious mind.

Nearly all of my ideas are intuited, Te and Ti are used primarily to apply said intuition.

I do think Ne is quite a bit easier to explain than Ni though...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to dimiss my hunches or whatever you want to call them because they weren't provable, but again and again they ended up being right even when other people were sure they were wrong. After while, I started going with hunches and finding the stuff to back them up with afterward. People would be impressed with my grasp of the situation -- I'm referring to work situations. Now I try going with hunches with interpersonal stuff -- often this isn't as effective, partly, I think, because people are so complicated and partly because oftentimes they don't know themselves well enough to understand their motivations, so they deny what I tell them.

You are very strong J;) Do you ever try to convince them of how they feel? I have done this before when I am extremely stressed and hit my ENFJ shadow.