• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who I am in improv scenes

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The main question of this thread is: Are the characters you play in scenes truly reflections of your real personality?

I've noticed that I have a certain type of character in improv scenes that I feel most comfortable being. It is mean, extremely dominant, overdomineering, ultra organized, a HUGE stickler for absolute perfection, pitiless, harsh, mocking, etc, etc, etc. My sense of humor in general is very sarcastic and harsh as well [although I always add a cheerful JK to everything]. I, however am the exact opposite. I'm super nice, loving, and sensitive.

I'm wondering: is this some hidden part of my personality? It just comes out so naturaly in scenes.

I'm starting to get worried. o_o; Thoughts? I've heard that INFPs have an "ESTJ business suit?"

In real life, I can get like this towards my mom when I am under lots of stress. I bring out my pent up emotion on her. I feel horrible after, but yeah.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe you are not completely honest with yourself about your desires and motivations when you are in a natural, neutral state, and force your repressed emotions out either subconsciously (in the drama) or in periods of high anxiety (with your mom).

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've done a lot with improv. I find it easy to play the personality of the exact opposite of mine. It makes sense, because it's the concept of being nearly exactly opposite of yourself.

In theater, actors/actresses are usually assigned to roles that are opposite their personality, because it brings out the most creativity. It's a general philosphy, though, it doesn't always work.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe you are not completely honest with yourself about your desires and motivations when you are in a natural, neutral state, and force your repressed emotions out either subconsciously (in the drama) or in periods of high anxiety (with your mom).

That's what I was thinking. Because I usually don't let myself vent that emotion to other people. It's just unsettling to think that I have such an ugly side of myself that's just waiting to come out.

I've done a lot with improv. I find it easy to play the personality of the exact opposite of mine. It makes sense, because it's the concept of being nearly exactly opposite of yourself.

In theater, actors/actresses are usually assigned to roles that are opposite their personality, because it brings out the most creativity. It's a general philosphy, though, it doesn't always work.

Makes sense. It is easier to play an archetype, rather than to sift through everything that you know about yourself. However, I've heard it said that what you play in scenes is a part of your personality coming out.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's what I was thinking. Because I usually don't let myself vent that emotion to other people. It's just unsettling to think that I have such an ugly side of myself that's just waiting to come out.

Makes sense. It is easier to play an archetype, rather than to sift through everything that you know about yourself. However, I've heard it said that what you play in scenes is a part of your personality coming out.

It could be. I have yet to learn about how it works with undertoned personality traits. It makes sense, though. I'd be fascinated to learn about it.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP

I think it's kind of like that scene in Fight Club where the narrator is receiving the chemical burn. You can't block it out, you have to see it, know it's there, feel the pain (the negative emotions), and then transcend it in an appropriate manner.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think it's kind of like that scene in Fight Club where the narrator is receiving the chemical burn. You can't block it out, you have to see it, know it's there, feel the pain (the negative emotions), and then transcend it in an appropriate manner.

True. I guess that the emotions themselves aren't wrong as long as you handle them properly. I don't like feeling like a mean person, but it's better to be honest than nice. And nobody is perfectly nice or mean, anyways. Glaring flaws keep me humble, which is good.

If I confront the issues better, than they will be less likely to stockpile into giant minefields of doom.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
True. I guess that the emotions themselves aren't wrong as long as you handle them properly. I don't like feeling like a mean person, but it's better to be honest than nice. And nobody is perfectly nice or mean, anyways. Glaring flaws keep me humble, which is good.

It's easy to mix being honest and kind- you just have to make it clear that you're intentionally being honest.
That's how this ENTP has won "Nicest Guy" awards in the past..

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's easy to mix being honest and kind- you just have to make it clear that you're intentionally being honest.
That's how this ENTP has won "Nicest Guy" awards in the past..

Agreed. Tactfulness is good.

For example...
Friend: Does this make me look fat?

Your response could either be:
1. You look nicer in the other outfit.
or
2. You look like a beached whale that is best suited for a Weight Watchers before picture.

^^ Seee??? Mean humor! Even though I'd never think of something like that for reals. The first response is what I would actually think and say.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Agreed. Tactfulness is good.

For example...
Friend: Does this make me look fat?

Your response could either be:
1. You look nicer in the other outfit.
or
2. You look like a beached whale that is best suited for a Weight Watchers before picture.

^^ Seee??? Mean humor! Even though I'd never think of something like that for reals. The first response is what I would actually think and say.

Mean humor can be awesome if it's done nicely, ;)

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Mean humor can be awesome if it's done nicely, ;)

True. XD I would NEVER be that mean seriously. My friends and I rail on each other constantly, though.
Maybe I'm taking all of this too seriously.