• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"That's a problem of unhealthy xxxx"

G

garbage

With type? Maybe. With a person? Probably not.

The difference is that the "unhealthy" label belongs to certain people, not types.

Also, the word is "unhealthy." It doesn't sound like one is dismissing anything, since that word has a severe negative connotation and, to the speaker, hints at some trait that needs to be worked on.

In any case, I've sort of viewed "unhealthy" as akin to the Big Five's Neuroticism axis.. somewhat of a crude way to explain the differences that levels of "healthiness" can cause in each type.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The popular way to dismiss any shortcomings, whether related to type or person.

I always figured it was a PC way to talk about a type's shortcomings without the NFs getting all pissed at everybody.

G

garbage

I always figured it was a PC way to talk about a type's shortcomings without the NFs getting all pissed at everybody.

I think you're right, in a way.

I do very much enjoy threads about functions and types that end up with one group all irate at another, and then someone invariably says not to stereotype people when the forum is discussing archetypes, another says that all types are equally capable of exactly the same kinds of negative behavior, yet another says something along the lines of "we're all just people," so on and so forth, ad infinitum, until world explodes and the forum dies.

Every time I read the same sort of "guys let's all be friends" statements, they get less and less insightful. They're largely unwarranted for those who have a working knowledge of what the theory is supposed to be about, which is.. pretty much everybody here.

But then, I've also seen type used to explain behavior in horribly ridiculous ways, so maybe they've got some merit.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's a way of spliting the huge range of behaviours within a type, because there is no point taking the traits of people with huge issues as typical of the whole group.

It's a simple way of saying "just because your crazy Aunty is an ESFJ doesn't mean ESFJs are crazy".

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Or,

1. the beginning of identifying your own issues and growing through them

2. Identifying an unhealthy person, assessing whether they're really worth all the worth you're throwing into the relationship "as is". Keeps you from either getting stuck in an abusive relationship and hoping it'll turn out OK, or helps you to accept the person as they are (warts and all). The call to stay or leave is totally yours, but it at least keeps you from playing the victim in the relationship. :newwink:

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
It's a way of spliting the huge range of behaviours within a type, because there is no point taking the traits of people with huge issues as typical of the whole group.

It's a simple way of saying "just because your crazy Aunty is an ESFJ doesn't mean ESFJs are crazy".
+1