• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

xNTP and breadth and depth of knowledge

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am thinking that the inner world of an ENTP is much more like the inner world of an INTJ than an INTP because both have dominant intuition. When an ENTP introverts, their intuition still preceeds their intellect (judging function). So they first want to process their intuitions before making decisions, this is very different from INTPs who often are unable to collect enough information because they are always making decisions internally.

I don't think the order of the intuition matters as much as the type (Ni vs. Ne).

The ENTP is still going to perceive with Ne and organize it with Ti, just like the INTP. The weight given to Ne or Ti is the difference.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This 'superficiality' of ENTP's knowledge-seeking is something that I must've missed in the 'how to be ENTP' handbook, cos last time I checked, people didn't get PhD's with only superficial knowledge.
Hm, I wouldn't say that ENTP are superficial as a whole, or that most or all of their knowledge is such. I would only think that ENTP are confident to use new pieces of information fast. ENTP seem to apply knowledge from procedures and everything in extremely cross-field fashion, and seem to like learn-as-you-go processes. So my emphasis is on the idea that ENTP feels more confidence with smaller amount of exact formal facts relating to any exact task, because they apply knowledge from similar subject areas, where they may apply. I would say that ENTP are absolutely the best in this. ENTP dont do it without consideration to the points where the two cases would differ. Actually they make their infomation so widely applicable by doing exactly that.

Other types tend to (in my eyes) be more sceptical about learning from somewhere and applying it to something else, to varying degree. Perhaps they have this perfectionistic nagging voice in their head saying, here is not a perfect fit because these are two different things. Construction laws learned in Sweden would be "almost unusable" in Finland. Opening a wine bottle with a philip screw, screwdriver and a pair of pliers would be "unthinkable" because wine bottles "are known to be opened with corkscrews". Etc, etc. At least such wild ideas are to be suspected. If they work, it must be noted how such a solution was "offensive, inelegant". Not such barriers with ENTP.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think the order of the intuition matters as much as the type (Ni vs. Ne).

The ENTP is still going to perceive with Ne and organize it with Ti, just like the INTP. The weight given to Ne or Ti is the difference.

In the inner world of the ENTP there would be less logical order and more on the way of intuitive influx than in the inner world of the INTP. The salient trait of an INTP inner world is an intense logical order, this is much less prominent in the inner world of the ENTP.

Because the inner world of the ENTP will be more intuitively oriented than logically oriented, it will be more reminiscent of the inner world of the INTJ rather than the inner world of an INTP.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the inner world of the ENTP there would be less logical order and more on the way of intuitive influx than in the inner world of the INTP. The salient trait of an INTP inner world is an intense logical order, this is much less prominent in the inner world of the ENTP.

Because the inner world of the ENTP will be more intuitively oriented than logically oriented, it will be more reminiscent of the inner world of the INTJ rather than the inner world of an INTP.

No, I don't believe any of that.

The interior world is ordered by Ti, not Ni, when it comes to ENTPs.

Not as ordered as an INTP, but ordered by Ti nonetheless.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, I don't believe any of that.

The interior world is ordered by Ti, not Ni, when it comes to ENTPs.

Not as ordered as an INTP, but ordered by Ti nonetheless.

There is a big difference in how well the two are ordered. The inner world of an ENTP likely will be better ordered than that of the INTJ, as they have an introverted judging function.

Yes, there is the Ti organizer element. But it is overwhelmed by Intuitions to the point where it hardly seems like there is an introverted judging function to begin with.

Orderliness of inner world.

---INTP------------ENTP---ENTJ---INTJ

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Orderliness of inner world.

---INTP------------ENTP---ENTJ---INTJ

hahahahha

that's quite a distance between INTP and ENTP.

i wonder... what do the dashes before INTP stand for? the space between INTPs and god himself?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
hahahahha

that's quite a distance between INTP and ENTP.

i wonder... what do the dashes before INTP stand for? the space between INTPs and god himself?

I think the dashes represent the space between the average INTP and BlueWing, lol. :D

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the dashes represent the space between the average INTP and BlueWing, lol. :D

it's a damn good thing we ENTPs have a good sense of humor. we'll need it with our brains!

Rhu

Morlock
MBTI Type
Pfft
Have I got this all wrong, or what kind of perceptions do you have about the issue?
Maybe I'm saying this because I skipped breakfast this morning, but--it's a matter of appetite.

The INTP is something of a picky eater. They'll sample a wide variety of foods, find something they like, and then consume it in every localized version, try the vegan and meat versions of the dish, try it with every preparation method, try to prepare the dish themselves, and then start branching off to related foods, all but abandoning thier former favorite dish. They'll sample their related foods, pick something they like, consume totally, and then branch off again.

They'll pick around their plates for what they like, and they'll take their time to enjoy the food.

The ENTP is a big, big eater. You put a plate in front of them, and they'll eat it. There's not much added comfort in the branching out from what's known--their appetites are so voracious that they'll clear whatever is put in front of them, regardless of if it's a heap of White Castle, an exotic delicasy, or one'a ma's home cooked meals. Actually, they'll order the whole menu from each of these places, learn everything about how it's prepared, and move on to the next place to eat. It doesn't matter much about what the next place is--if they just the whole menu at a Chinese place, and the restaurant next door is also Chinese, it doesn't matter, they'll dig deeper into the mysteries of the Orient right where they left off if it's the same day or a month later. Just as long as they get that temporary fix. That momentary satiation of the otherwise insatiable, they'll be pleased.

...intellect [=] judging function...
That's just... just... gah.

Intellect isn't just about bringing order to ideas. The genesis of the ideas themselves is an important part.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
I believe the notions of breadth and depth are too fuzzy to apply to knowlwdge in a simle manner. I visualize it more like a web, or network, than a bunch of tree's that one goes down (up, whatever).

If you could manage to define a "congnitive distance measure," then "depth "of knowledge could be measured as the density of knowledge nodes in a particualr "congnitive area," while breadth could be measure by the overall (average) diameter of the whole knowledge network.

One weird thing, about knowledge for me is that lately, my urge to explain thigs (even when I am not qualified) is overwhelmeing. Is this my Ne starting to mature?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
^I would assume that would be a possibility. I often do that sometimes when bored just to see how I arrived at my hunches because it seems like I will just get this impulse that something is a certain way or means a certain thing. I think that is just natural Ti at work, but what I will then do is just list all the possible interpretations of a situation mentally or verbally. From there I just progress from words and definitions, to concepts, to analysis, to arguments.

This looks like just twisting words, nit picking, or bullshitting. To me its more like finding the smallest, barely visible crumble in the foundation and exploiting it. It's actually more like elaborating in the most elegant way I can reach before I'm abruptly stopped by a glare or look of contempt.

I think the urge to explain is just Ne coming out and being curious and trying to build a more complete picture. I definitely notice when I first get really excited, interested, or curious I will do the explain every little aspect and detail of things. It actually really does come out sounding like I'm defining, describing or explaining.

To sort of keep in line with OP I think that I like to find the particulars of topics that I'm interested in and just use my Ne to help Ti dig new holes. It seems like ENTP's would much rather focus on the much broader branching out concepts. I personally get more fun and enjoyment out of using Ne to just adjust my thinking till I find the fundamental issues and will stay on an interest just so I can get the rush of finding another little treasure no matter how long it takes.