• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Schizophrenic customer making me nervous...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have a question JewelChild - the customer that Betsey attacked -what happened to him/her?

I was thinking that if I were a regular customer of yours and another regular attacked me and then you let that customer back like nothing happened and contined to be chummy with them...I might be pissed...just a smidgen.

Aren't the owners concerned about law suits?

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
True, if I were a regular customer I'd be unhappy in that situation.

*sigh*

It really sucks. By involving the police (a person's right when they are threatened) it just makes things worse. Even if Betsy had intervention and she was diagnosed and awarded disability benefits (I'm assuming in the US, didn't check) she will not be eligible for medical benefits to actually TREAT the problem for 2 full years. :steam:
They're saving tax dollars... so that they can hire more police to deal with situations like this one and people like Betsy can slip further from any hope of recovery/productive citizenship. WHEEE

My instinct is to help everyone. The woman who was chased is no doubt unhappy about the feeling of danger but Betsy is (presumably) forced to live in that feeling constantly.

I don't have an answer, I think in your heart you already know what YOU are going to do. Go with your gut.

Mole

Permabanned
Do we treat people as people or not?

When we put a label on person, we dehumanize them.

Yet this site is devoted to putting labels on people.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a question JewelChild - the customer that Betsey attacked -what happened to him/her?

I was thinking that if I were a regular customer of yours and another regular attacked me and then you let that customer back like nothing happened and contined to be chummy with them...I might be pissed...just a smidgen.

Aren't the owners concerned about law suits?

Betsy did verbally harass, but did not physically attack the customer here in the coffee shop. Whatever physical scuffle happened a few doors down the street caused the customer to get a restraining order, so I'm not concerned about the particular customer. Betsy is legally not allowed here in the shop if the customer is here.

I wonder if it's only this one woman who sets Betsy off, since she's not seemed to have trouble with other people. But I don't know. She has annoyed people, but never hurt anyone for the 3 or 4 years that she's been coming here, until now. As far as the owners are concerned, I think I'm on my own.

I'll get it worked out myself, but I do appreciate hearing opinions and thoughts on this matter.

*EDIT* I just re-read my OP and realized I may not have been clear enough about the situation, and the fact that the actual physical scuffle/chasing took place down the street. Apologies.

Last edited:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Moved a mishmash of spitwad posts to the Graveyard.