• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Befriending My Soul

Mole

Permabanned
It's one of my favorites. My mother read it to me many times when I was a child. Have you seen the film adaptation with Michael Palin as Ratty?

No, but I still like to read Wind in the Willows over my cornflakes in the morning.

My favourite is chapter seven, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn".

It still sends tingles up my spine.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A lovely chapter. Also my favorite Floyd album.

Mole

Permabanned
I have only one phone. It's at my house. Not like wherever I go I can talk on skype! Plus what if I come down with strep? :cry:

I can ring you on your phone from my Skype.

So if you send me your phone number in a private message, I will ring you right now.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Noone read Wind to me as a child. I suspect my mom would have thought it boring and maybe I would have also. The action is what, a car wreck? Of course it's cute that he needs to be taught a lesson, Toad?'s antics were hardly risque in my way of thinking. So what he wanted to drive a car. I did to at the age of 13. So I stole one. Big deal.

If, by reading the story out loud, I develop patience and goodwill for others then maybe it would be good for me. If it's just a tradition to read W then, well, maybe I shouldn't read it.

Do you remember Chariots of Fire? It won academy awards etc but guess what? I didn't get it and I was at least 19 by the time it was released. So there it is. I'm not likely to get the meaning of reading W outloud until I'm in my 70s. If that is ok with all the readers then I will go ahead with it.

Just so you know.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, wren. the action in the plot is not the only feature of good writing! At least I don't think so. Grahame used the language beautifully.

I don't remember anything about Chariots of Fire except that I saw it in the theater when I was 7 or 8 with my parents, and my friend and I kept ducking out to go to the bathroom to read the dirty poems on the stall doors.