• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

learning to use functions

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I almost forgot in these forums that aside from typing people, type theory can be used for self-development. At least I notice that some of my functions are in bad shape and in need of exercise!

I'd love to get just the kind of advice that would be helpful in my situation. If anyone wants to learn something, wouldn't they want the same? Not advise that the person knows already, or something that seems to hard for them to put into practice.

I think we could put together "ABC book of function X", "advise for beginners", and such. Not in a patronizing way, but in supportive spirit. Not in the kind of pushing help for unwilling students, but noticing what help is wanted, and responding to that.

I tend to see that people become self-supportive in a skill when it's at good level. So the most needed point where someone might want help is the beginning. Oh, why not developing it further, too!

So, lets start up Type School =) I'd like to learn Se, what should I do for starters? (except closing the web browser, lol) edit, additional info: it is a rather, but not completely undeveloped function for me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I can kind of use it, but it stresses me out. Here are some pointers on Se (from someone who has it as inferior, so take it with a grain of salt!):

1. Pay attention to what's going on around you at the moment. Don't try to connect it with anything, or think about what it means, what went before, or what's coming after. Just watch and experience. Let go of your mind.

2. Go with your gut impulses. Do whatever it looks like might feel good at the moment without thinking about the consequences.

3. Attempt to do anything that might prove physically stimulating, like burn yourself on a hot stove, run laps, ride a bike, go swimming, etc.

4. Engage in a conversation about your immediate surroundings. "Look, a sunset!" "Oh, do you smell those flowers?"

Note that I actually find most of those things a bit stressful, while most people wouldn't, but I can still do them.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Here are some pointers on Se (from someone who has it as inferior, so take it with a grain of salt!):

Note that I actually find most of those things a bit stressful, while most people wouldn't, but I can still do them.
Aside from the hot stove thing, sounds like an exercise I can follow, and will! Thanks!

I had this experience a while ago, when I saw a mass of visual details and it was like every one of them was saying their name to me. I thought that hell, this is nice, but I got exhausted in no time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I almost forgot in these forums that aside from typing people, type theory can be used for self-development. At least I notice that some of my functions are in bad shape and in need of exercise!

I'd love to get just the kind of advice that would be helpful in my situation. If anyone wants to learn something, wouldn't they want the same? Not advise that the person knows already, or something that seems to hard for them to put into practice.

I think we could put together "ABC book of function X", "advise for beginners", and such. Not in a patronizing way, but in supportive spirit. Not in the kind of pushing help for unwilling students, but noticing what help is wanted, and responding to that.

I tend to see that people become self-supportive in a skill when it's at good level. So the most needed point where someone might want help is the beginning. Oh, why not developing it further, too!

So, lets start up Type School =) I'd like to learn Se, what should I do for starters? (except closing the web browser, lol) edit, additional info: it is a rather, but not completely undeveloped function for me.
There is a small section in the Do What You Are book by Tieger and Barron that has suggestions for developing each of the 8 main functions.
I'm sure you can find it in your local library.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
There is a small section in the Do What You Are book by Tieger and Barron that has suggestions for developing each of the 8 main functions.
I'm sure you can find it in your local library.
Thanks for the advice! I'll check it up.