• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any real point behind questioning why we do stuff?

Snow Turtle

It's the summer holiday for this university student, which means that I've got lots of free time. :D

Yay!!!! Or wait....

I'm starting to think, that maybe the 'mass' of people that do stuff without thinking too much about the reason behind their actions, actually have a decent way of living. Perhaps this group that make broad sweeping generalisations against, secretly realise that there isn't much point questioning.

I spend time thinking about how things will contribute to my life rather than just getting on with things. Now I have to ask: Is there actually any real benefit to figuring out why we do stuff?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Boredom? Perhaps if we find the main reasoning, the base behind our actions then we can find out more about ourselves.

Snow Turtle

Mmm. Well I'm going to pick up activities since I'm sure many people will say: Go out and do something. I'm just surprised it works so effectively but even without doing things, I'm already thinking: So I'm just meant to distract myself with things I enjoy somewhat.

It seems rather sad...

That satisfaction is all about distracting ourselves from silence with fun activities. Yeah, that doesn't seem right for some reason.

Edit: Wait a second I've somehow been sidetracked.
The question was about whether there's much value in asking: Is there purpose behind doing stuff.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can tell your mind is racing. LOL ENTP shadow.

The purpose behind stuff is satisfaction or need.

Snow Turtle

I can tell your mind is racing. LOL ENTP shadow.

The purpose behind stuff is satisfaction or need.

:D

My mind is constantly thinking - Just thoughts tend to sort of go round in circles like tadpoles in a pond. Not the most effective way of thinking. :blush:

Guess I'll pre-occupy myself with some new activity for the time being, and the seek a new activity to pre-occupy myself with, then... seek another new activity to pre-occupy myself with... then...

*explodes*

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
you're forgetting the fact that you really don't have a choice.

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

ask yourself, can you really turn away now?

enjoy the ride. enjoy the discoveries, come what may.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^That's awesome. The picture just adds to the nonsense.

G

garbage

Because a lot of the stuff we do is retarded.

Okay, not that bad. But still.

I've found it very useful to think about my actions and to know myself and my own tendencies. If I just learned from experience alone, I wouldn't be where I am now, until many more years down the line.

I have, however, had to learn to let go of that tendency just a little bit. Not enjoying the present moment at all is a huge pain.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Is there a good reason? Not particularly. But I have nothing better to do so...

*edit* Oops. Misread OP. :/

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
for scientific or practical reasons? I mean, we basically have to presume some kind of reasoning when dispensing justice based upon WHY the person did what they did, right?

or was this rhetorical and for musing alone? hmmm

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
Because if we didn't question the stuff we do then we'd be robots.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
sometimes i wish i could go back when i was a happy lil boy chasing after angry women without any second thoughts and without wondering if im using Ne or Ni and without realizing i need to do something about the love of my life cuz she wont take the first step and without musing over the fact that i spent too much money on food today

then i look in the mirror and realize im only 20 and the modern world demands for me to chase after womEn...but right after that i remember salute the world with my middle fingers so meh...and then i realize im waay too much into metacognition and its greatly affecting my understanding and use of Ne even though my actions are the very definition of a fucking ENTP...and i realize that the mad scientist phase is not a phase, its a facet...but thats after i already looked over the fact that i need to stop eating out so much, it makes going to the gym useless and makes my credit card company leap with joy while being tied to a 2 tonne brick

that said, i dont really care about any of this shit except the metacognition part and the fact that i should really got to bed

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I spend time thinking about how things will contribute to my life rather than just getting on with things. Now I have to ask: Is there actually any real benefit to figuring out why we do stuff?
I've got a good reason: People are confusing. With MBTI knowledge, people make more sense. Then you can relate to them better, knowing that they think differently, and you can avoid certain conflicts that otherwise would have been inevitable. It makes your relationships with other people much better.
Plus, it makes you feel better about yourself. When you're not that introspective, even your own inner workings are a mystery. It helps to have reasons for why you act a certain way, and to know that your little quirks are shared by others.
One other thing: When you start figuring out why you do certain things that are annoying, you've diagnosed a problem. Then you can start working on fixing it! It's sef-improvement.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm starting to think, that maybe the 'mass' of people that do stuff without thinking too much about the reason behind their actions, actually have a decent way of living. Perhaps this group that make broad sweeping generalisations against, secretly realise that there isn't much point questioning.

We make our choices based on what we value, and a true choice is the result of rational deliberation, (otherwise, our action would be the result of what is essentially a coin toss, and that is not even close to what is meant by 'choice'). It is natural then, as we deliberate over what we value, to want to know that the choices we make actually are valuable, that they actually do help us obtain good things in our lives, that what we are doing helps us lead a good life and not a life that is not good.

So, it either is or is not possible for our rational deliberation about the value of this or that choice to actually furnish us with the truth about the values of different actions we can take; if we conclude that rational deliberation cannot furnish us with this knowledge, then there is no point to thinking about why we do what we do, and we might as well let a coin toss determine all of our actions, because if we live in a world where our power to reason can not penetrate the nature of value, we live in a world where there is no true choice, but, at best, the illusion of choice. (Seriously, the Dark Knight was such a kick ass movie. I could so go off about Two Face and the Joker and the nature of evil as portrayed in that movie... but I digress).

However, if we believe that our cognitive powers are sufficient to deliver to us the value of this or that action, then thinking about why we do what we do is of the utmost utility. For then it would be by our use of reason to make distinctions about what is or is not good for us, and thereby discovering what is or is not valuable for us to do, that we would be enabled to make wise choices that would help us to create and sustain a good life, full of value, and rich in the truest sense of the word.

Mmm. Well I'm going to pick up activities since I'm sure many people will say: Go out and do something. I'm just surprised it works so effectively but even without doing things, I'm already thinking: So I'm just meant to distract myself with things I enjoy somewhat.

It seems rather sad...

That satisfaction is all about distracting ourselves from silence with fun activities. Yeah, that doesn't seem right for some reason.

Edit: Wait a second I've somehow been sidetracked.
The question was about whether there's much value in asking: Is there purpose behind doing stuff.

And here you change tack in your thread. Your original question was:

Is there actually any real benefit to figuring out why we do stuff?

Now you ask whether there is purpose behind doing stuff, not if there is benefit to figuring out why we do stuff. Interestingly, you make this move after observing that satisfaction comes from distracting ourselves from silence with fun activities: and this is the essence of an amusement park: a + muse = not + think. In an amusement park, we try to fill the emptiness of our intellectual life, the silence that results after we deny that our reason can tell us what is valuable, by filling our time with activities that are meant to distract us from using our reason to find what is truly valuable. That is, it is in our nature to make choices, not coin tosses, which means it is in our nature to use our minds to weigh the value of this or that action, but if the life of the mind is an illusion, we have to deny our nature as creatures that make choices, because there is no choice; and so we must turn off our minds in amusement parks.

:D

My mind is constantly thinking - Just thoughts tend to sort of go round in circles like tadpoles in a pond. Not the most effective way of thinking. :blush:

Guess I'll pre-occupy myself with some new activity for the time being, and the seek a new activity to pre-occupy myself with, then... seek another new activity to pre-occupy myself with... then...

*explodes*

Why not play Russian Roulette?

You believe that you are going to die? Do you also believe that it is impossible for your mind to provide rational justification for the "choices" you make? If you don't, then there is no way to say that life is more valuable than death, and if death is the inevitable end, then why not just go straight to the end? Why bother going through a valueless, meaningless life?