• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you think?

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've always wondered this. I literally think in complete sentences; if there's a time when I don't, then I guess I've never noticed. And this is really weird, but if I don't think in a grammatically correct way, I'll be like, editing my thoughts. In my head. The grammatical thing is probably abnormal, but is thinking in sentences a common thing, you think? Do you normally pay attention to your thoughts? In what types of situations/environments are you more aware of your thoughts?

Also, my counselor talked about our "pathological critic" (who probably resembles this :devil:). It's the voice in your head that only wants to bring you down. When you begin to pay attention, you might catch yourself thinking negative things about yourself (wow you look ugly, you can never do that, you're a mean person, etc.). That's the work of this guy. ---> :devil:

Now, when I hear those negative things, I tell myself, "Shut the fuck up." In my mind. And it works.

So, can you relate to that? Do you have a pathological critic, and if so, what do you do to combat those negative thoughts?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
rainoneventide said:
Do you have a pathological critic, and if so, what do you do to combat those negative thoughts?
Oh yes, I have a very active pathological critic. When I'm not indulging him, I tell myself that I don't have to see things the way he does, and that works to a certain extent. It's very easy to slip back into the negative way of looking at everything, though, and that's where I find myself most of the time.

As far as my thoughts in general, there was a topic awhile back where people described their inner worlds, and my posts were a pretty accurate description. The only thing I can really add to what I said there is that my thoughts are usually a mix of images that flash through my head and conversations between myself and myself. Those thoughts are most lucid when I'm alone; among people, my thoughts sort of blank out and I go on autopilot. It's probably a coping mechanism for what would otherwise be crippling self-consciousness (my pathological critic).

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
The grammatical thing is probably abnormal, but is thinking in sentences a common thing, you think? Do you normally pay attention to your thoughts? In what types of situations/environments are you more aware of your thoughts?

I actually don't always think in sentences. Sometimes I'll think in pictures/symbols or in theories/concepts. When I do think in sentences, I don't usually edit them for grammar. Usually it's just talking to myself but not out loud...and when I speak it's pretty jumbled anyway so I don't care. Or sometimes I think too much about a topic and forget what I was thinking about in the first place. Yes, I'm insane. :huh:

So, can you relate to that? Do you have a pathological critic, and if so, what do you do to combat those negative thoughts?

Yes, I have a pathological critic. I picture this critic as an actual person because I know if there were a person that critical who followed me around in real life, I'd probably defend myself or tell him to get lost. I ask myself, "Would I criticize/judge one of my friends this harshly?" and the answer is usually "Definitely NOT!". And shouldn't I treat myself as kindly as I treat my friends? Also, I heard a really good story once from a teacher of mine. (This is my paraphrasing.) She said there was once a little boy who went to an elder for advice. He said, "I have a problem. I try to think positive thoughts but the negative thoughts just seem to creep up on me. Sometimes it feels like there are two dogs fighting in my head." The elder asked, "Well son, which dog are you feeding?"

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always wondered this. I literally think in complete sentences; if there's a time when I don't, then I guess I've never noticed. And this is really weird, but if I don't think in a grammatically correct way, I'll be like, editing my thoughts. In my head. The grammatical thing is probably abnormal, but is thinking in sentences a common thing, you think? Do you normally pay attention to your thoughts? In what types of situations/environments are you more aware of your thoughts?

Also, my counselor talked about our "pathological critic" (who probably resembles this :devil:). It's the voice in your head that only wants to bring you down. When you begin to pay attention, you might catch yourself thinking negative things about yourself (wow you look ugly, you can never do that, you're a mean person, etc.). That's the work of this guy. ---> :devil:

Now, when I hear those negative things, I tell myself, "Shut the fuck up." In my mind. And it works.

I mostly think in movies and images.. but when i'm stressed mostly fragmented sentences that sounds like a jury all fighting together and nobody listening.. I guess that's what I would call the critic.. I actually think " shut up" too. Never works. Then I do a mind clearing thing- sleep, go for a jog, drink a bunch, deep breathe.