• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cut the rope...CnD

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Cut the rope...Conclusions and Discussions

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/18260-do-you-cut-off-rope-nfs-only-please.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/18259-cut-rope-nt-only.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/sp-arthouse/18261-cut-off-rope-sp-only.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ut-off-rope-sjs-only-please-2.html#post704073

dudes and dudettes,

i asked the same question of all four temperaments and got a very diverse set of answers. some people got pissed with me for leaving too much stuff out, some got offended for they perceived my questions to be misleading. but in the end i think we have a fair amount of data to start making shit up about how temperaments differ. the threads above are the responses...some go for several pages but temperamental inclinations are pretty clear by page 4. lets say 5 to be safe

some things to keep in mind:
-the question was about a moral dilemma. most of the responses are about what the individual would do hypothetically. real life is less about thinking and more about instinct. so theories formed can only reflect a thinking process and the strain it puts on self when at moral crossroads
-something else that will soon pop up in my head

also, this particular thread is about CONCLUSIONS and subsequent DISCUSSIONS derived from the threads above. NOT about the validity of the situation/question(s)...start another thread for that if you want

so to begin, SaltyWench already started at this:

My observations:

SJs: Most (but not all) answered the question at face value. This is probably due to a willingness to stick to the rules, even with a hypothetical question. The majority of those who chose to "cut" were not choosing death, though. They thoroughly believed that the rescue group would come back. And if the rescue crew had an SJ leader, this suggests they actually would. It would not occur to them to give up on a life out there. Also, the SJs saw the stupidity in cutting the rope at all. They would just let go.

NFs: Also thought cutting the rope was stupid and asked a lot of questions. One was willing to jump unless pregnant, which is interesting. Talk about thinking it through, who would even think of that? NFs wanted to know who was on the ladder, and displayed a willingness to knock off people they harbored a hatred towards. They also wondered why they would have to sacrifice themselves, why they had to be the hero. Suggestions were made regarding rope order (fittest would be in last place), which would increase chances of survival should the worst happen. None seemed to question the fact that the rescue crew wouldn't come back (correct me if I'm wrong... I'm unwilling to read the entire thread again). Perhaps NFs have seen enough of humanity's dark side to expect such things. "We all have feet made of clay" is supposedly an SP type saying, but maybe that's also true of NFs.

NTs: Immediately picked at holes in the scenario, requiring them to be filled in, only to be defied by a work around of some kind. When their problem-solving was discouraged and they were urged to answer the question at face value, they said the question was pointless because any question that attempts to measure moral fiber is all talk, we all think we would act one way, when we would actually have to be there in that moment to find out what we would do in reality. NTs showed a lot of avoidance regarding knocking others off (in my opinion), though they didn't disregard it as a possibility in the heat of the moment. NFs actually seemed to be more aggressive in that manner, claiming that they would be willing to leave someone else on the mountain if it was someone who deserved life less than themselves. One NT claimed they would make sure all of them stayed so that they could kill them off, take their clothes and use them to insure their survival. I think this was a demonstration of their ability to work through the situation using only cold logic, not to be taken at all seriously.

SPs: The STPs wanted to know what gear they had and chances of survival. Picked at holes in the hypothetical situation. Stated that they wouldn't be there in the first place. One said he'd make the whole group stay, since it's easier to survive within a group (he didn't seem to be considering them as potential sources of nourishment). The SFPs also questioned the situation. One said they'd stay if they knocked another guy down for food to survive until the rescue crew came back. Another said they wouldn't be on the bottom in the first place and they'd basically do whatever it took to survive. All SPs questioned the stupidity of the crew in one form or another for the most part, except Jeffster, who yelled something rather random in the thread and then didn't say anything further. Once the clarifying questions had been answered and the problem-solving was through the thread became boring and irrelevant due to the SPs coming to the exact same conclusion as the NTs regarding questions about morality. This may be due to the fact that only STPs replied afterward.

unimportant background info:
what prompted me is to post the question is a surprising answer i got from a great ENFP buddy.

we automatically assign traits to people based on their type based on T and based on F, based on N and based on S...not always a healthy thing to do...as we will prolly discover soon in this thread

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The reason I found the question far too incomplete, biased and shaky. Is because it was a multi-angle question but only had two answerable options that did not satisfy all the possible angles for such a situation.

I don't have the same faith in others to see such a situation and all its angles in the way I do, and the answers given by many other people would be based on entirely different grounds than my own answer. Making the answers effectively incomparable if the true motive of the question was to get one of the two presented options.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And the agenda reveals itself.

wolfy

awsm
There is a mistake in the conclusions from SaltyWench. I'm SFP and I asked What supplies do I have? What's my chance of survival? in the second post. Just an observation.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Copied from my post in the SJ thread:
My thought is that there was mostly a distinction between Ts and Fs as how to respond to the question. (probably because this was a judgment question) While both sides picked at the holes in the questions, the Ts seemed more inclined to let go/cut the rope, while the Fs had more or less the opposite response. (theoretically, you'd be better off playing Russian Roulette than being on a rope ladder with an F.) If there were to be further experimentation using questions like this, I would advise asking people to identify with their T or F function, not their temperament.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Correction to the post by SaltyWench. I asked why the crew could not come back later, and mine was the first reply in the thread. One would think that would not be looked over.

But it looks like most people (regardless of type) picked at the holes because the situation was not complete or detailed enough to cover all bases. Had it done so, it would have been a much harder question to answer or pick apart and would be far more indicative of tendencies between the types.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
One thing I pointed out in the SJ forum...

Notice that in the SJ forum, the ratio of those who would cut off the rope to those who don't (me) is higher. Maybe it has something to do with helping the community as a whole.[/QUOTE]

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
There is a mistake in the conclusions from SaltyWench. I'm SFP and I asked What supplies do I have? What's my chance of survival? in the second post. Just an observation.

Ah, my bad. Sorry. I always think of you as an ISTP for some reason. That's a compliment coming from one, lol.

Correction to the post by SaltyWench. I asked why the crew could not come back later, and mine was the first reply in the thread. One would think that would not be looked over.

I was actually writing out notes for my own personal use and just decided to post them. If I had been planning to post them publicly, my OCD-style nit-picking would have prevented mistakes like that, but since it was just for me I was kinda skimming. Sorry. :hug:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was actually writing out notes for my own personal use and just decided to post them. If I had been planning to post them publicly, my OCD-style nit-picking would have prevented mistakes like that, but since it was just for me I was kinda skimming. Sorry. :hug:

No biggie. Just wanted to make sure the information was accurate. Was not offended or anything at all. :)