• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why am I always smoking in my daydreams?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Vis iz clearly about sexual repression. Tell me Volfy, did your mutter never hug you as a child? Vere you jealous of your vather?

/Freud

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Woe no, vis one iz deep in denial, vis iz vorse den I suspect.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, the reason why people smoked and drank so much in old movies was not exactly because it was glamorous but because the directors needed something interesting for the characters to do with their hands, and let's face it, smoke looks cool, no matter where it comes from. Just having the characters sit there talking is, let's face it, boring.

So it could just be subconscious embellishment. *shrug* Is there usually anything else there to make the scene look more 'interesting'?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
So thats why new movies are made of only shooting scenes. Due to the prohibition of cigarettes , producers now need to keep the actors hands occupied by letting em shoot at each other all the time :D

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
That's funny. I always imagine myself with a bottle of rum and dressed up like a pirate in my daydreams. I never dress up like a pirate and I rarely drink anything alcoholic. Maybe I secretly want to be a pirate, like Jack Sparrow or something, without realizing it... Well, it does sound cool!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So thats why new movies are made of only shooting scenes. Due to the prohibition of cigarettes , producers now need to keep the actors hands occupied by letting em shoot at each other all the time :D

It's true, at least in American movies.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Basically, it looks badass.

That's the only reason anyone would ever start.

I actually postponed smoking for several years because I looked stupid trying to inhale, so I was unwilling to smoke in public. It was sheer boredom waiting between classes that caused me to overcome this reticence. Face it, smoking is casual fun for many people; if it wasn't for the fact that it kills you, I'd still be doing it on a regular basis.

As to the OP, maybe you watched the original Twilight Zone too often. :D

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
There are other good reasons, it gives you something to do with your hands while talking to someone, it's a great reason to step outside.

i have a very good ISFP friend who only smokes socially. i asked him this morning about smoking, he said it makes him feel "grounded" when he is "flying away".
he and i are pretty co-dependent smokers, i think he smokes a lot more when he is around me. he and I are big fans of stepping outside to smoke, especially at a party to cool things down a little, or to get into a good conversation.

I actually postponed smoking for several years because I looked stupid trying to inhale, so I was unwilling to smoke in public.

i know a few people who think they are real badasses because they smoke, and they make a big show of it. but the secret is they don't inhale. when they do accidentally inhale and start coughing they are not so badass after all.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think grounding makes sense, even in daydreams, maybe picturing something tangible and sensate is a way of staying connected to the real world. Maybe it's a prop or something to draw focus away from yourself, otherwise you're just sitting there, doing nothing.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
have you ever thought of buying a nicotine patch in your dreams

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always wondered why I am always smoking in daydreams. Whenever I visualise myself doing something, making something, I'm always smoking. I've never been a smoker but have always visualised this way.
It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether you have are any theories.

!!!

I find when I am stressed, I imagine myself as smoking. It's like... tricking myself into nicotine relief. IRL, I don't smoke or like being around it.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
I've always wondered why I am always smoking in daydreams. Whenever I visualise myself doing something, making something, I'm always smoking. I've never been a smoker but have always visualised this way.
It doesn't bother me but I'm curious whether you have are any theories.

Whenever people smoke, they have that "far off" look like they're pondering something you cannot begin to fathom. It may be the physiological response that causes their expression to follow suit, or they could be smoking to escape some stressor. Whatever the reason may be, perhaps it's the wonderment and aloofness that smokers portray which makes you imagine yourself doing the same.

*Edit:
Oops. Disregard my post. I thought you meant while you imagine yourself daydream, you imagine yourself smoking. I don't really know why anyone would imagine themselves daydreaming, but I suppose it is a rather interesting concept.

wolfy

awsm
i have a very good ISFP friend who only smokes socially. i asked him this morning about smoking, he said it makes him feel "grounded" when he is "flying away".
he and i are pretty co-dependent smokers, i think he smokes a lot more when he is around me. he and I are big fans of stepping outside to smoke, especially at a party to cool things down a little, or to get into a good conversation.

i know a few people who think they are real badasses because they smoke, and they make a big show of it. but the secret is they don't inhale. when they do accidentally inhale and start coughing they are not so badass after all.

I think grounding makes sense, even in daydreams, maybe picturing something tangible and sensate is a way of staying connected to the real world. Maybe it's a prop or something to draw focus away from yourself, otherwise you're just sitting there, doing nothing.

The grounding thing makes sense to me. Also just to be clear, I'm smoking while I'm making something.
Say if I'm visualising how to fix a bike, when I see myself doing it there is always a smoke hanging out of my mouth.

Also when I am sitting there in my daydreams I am smoking, always holding it in my hands, flicking off the ash, making smoke action with it.

So I guess you guys are on the right track, it has something to do with being grounded and sensation.

It's a phallic symbol.

You'd think I'd be chomping on a cucumber if it was a phallic symbol.

have you ever thought of buying a nicotine patch in your dreams

I've thought of swapping it for a lollipop.

!!!

I find when I am stressed, I imagine myself as smoking. It's like... tricking myself into nicotine relief. IRL, I don't smoke or like being around it.

I sometimes do it on purpose now, when I want a break.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Whenever people smoke, they have that "far off" look like they're pondering something you cannot begin to fathom.

i disagree. that is sometimes the case, but people also actively engage others while smoking.

Also just to be clear, I'm smoking while I'm making something.
Say if I'm visualising how to fix a bike, when I see myself doing it there is always a smoke hanging out of my mouth.

i don't know, that is a mystery to me. i can't see why it would specifically be related to making something.
if it makes you feel grounded, maybe smoking while creating something puts you more in touch with whatever you are working on. makes you feel more closely connected to what you are creating? i don't know, i am pulling things out of my @$$.

smoking is a major stress reliever for some people, but i find it hilarious that you relieve stress by imagining you are smoking! that is incredibly funny to me!