• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I would have thought iNtuitives with Thinking would have the highest IQ (not that IQ is the be all and end all of a person).

Still if the articles says that I am the smartest of the smart, I can go with that too. :D

heart

heart on fire
In terms of IQ, I always think it is isn't what a person has, but how much they make use of what they have and how.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
In terms of IQ, I always think it is isn't what a person has, but how much they make use of what they have and how.

I was just thinking the same thing, someone can have a high IQ and it mean nothing because they do nothing with it, whereas someone with a lower IQ could achieve so much more because they actually act on whatever intelligence they have.

IQ does not really = intelligence.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh yeesh. I never really even connected that. As you all will soon be learning (from hearing me talk so much about him), my husband is an INFP, and I must say, he is - in his own way - one of the smartest people I have ever met. Other than the math, I dare say he may even be smarter than I am.

Math =
violent38.gif

heart

heart on fire
Oh yeesh. I never really even connected that. As you all will soon be learning (from hearing me talk so much about him), my husband is an INFP, and I must say, he is - in his own way - one of the smartest people I have ever met. Other than the math, I dare say he may even be smarter than I am.

Yes, I have a really hard time with math too. :D

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
That sounds about right, I can remember alot of things, but don;t ask me to tell you the dates associated with them, or any number related facts.

heart

heart on fire
Is it an INFP thing? I think, from what I've seen and heard so far, you guys tend to be writers more than anything, but he's also one of those types that actually pays attention to, and remembers, alot of facts, mostly cultural, historical, and trivial, but not number-oriented.

I am not sure. There were some people on INFP Global who seemed to have an easier time with math and seemed to have college majors or work in math type fields. It did not seem to be the majority but it was there.

heart

heart on fire
That sounds about right, I can remember alot of things, but don;t ask me to tell you the dates associated with them, or any number related facts.

I can remember some important dates, I was a history major, but I remembered much easier the theories and currents of history more so than the exact dates.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I can remember some important dates, I was a history major, but I remembered much easier the theories and currents of history more so than the exact dates.

I honestly struggle with dates, it caused me major problems in my court case, but since the coma numbers hurt my brain, prior to the coma I was the top maths student, it's weird. :(

Infact the moment someone starts talking about maths, numbers, dates etc, I will start panicking inside, it's very hard to explain.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack, back on topic, NF's are the most intelligent. :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is there any significant correlation? On average, who is the smartest type? For that matter, how do all the types rank? I've done some Google research, and all I've really found are two articles on it. Ironically, these two seem to suggest that Feeling and Intuitive types have higher I.Q.s. I find this kind of strange because I would imagine that Sensing and Thinking would make one smarter rather than going by one's emotions. Strange...

That sounds like a strange idea to me as well. I would have assumed that NT's were best at solving abstract logic problems. In fact, I was recently sitting around thinking of which types outside of NT's would be best at such problems. It would have seemed to me that ESTJ, ENFP, INFJ, and ISTP were second-best at such problems. (I promise I didn't come up with that to give myself an ego trip.) I've never had an I.Q. test, however, and don't know how I would fare. It might be worth checking into. Interestingly, an NT I spoke to about that idea actually believed that all the NF's would be second-best at those sort of problems, believing that the ST types were actually worse at abstract logic problems (He has betrayed a bias against Sensors in the past that he doesn't seem to admit to or be aware of, so I don't know how reliable his opinion is.)

Although part of the reason for the discrepancy might be that the test also measures language skills, and most people believe that NF's have superior language skills. Since we're also required to learn some math, that might balance us out more? Who knows?

alexkreuz

MBTI Type
INTP
from what i've seen so far, the SJs tend to do better on IQ tests if and only if they've studied and memorized the subject matter rigorously ahead of time ..

i know i tend to do horrible on them .. partially because when i take them i can't help but think that these things are pointless and useless indicators of one's intelligence .. therefore as a result i don't put the effort i should into each question ..

Usehername

On a mission
I am not sure. There were some people on INFP Global who seemed to have an easier time with math and seemed to have college majors or work in math type fields. It did not seem to be the majority but it was there.

my little bro is an INFP and a math whiz.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Someone wrote on some forum that INxxs are the most intelligent types. I don't know if their source of information was reliable but I can believe it.

In the post that I'm referring to, INxxs were listed in the following order of intelligence:

1. INTJ
2. INTP
3. INFP
4. INFJ

I don't think that INFPs are typically lousy at math. I and my INFP sister have both been good at math, although other things have interested us more. Basically at school I was good at everything that involved theory and was of interest to me: languages, math, and theory subjects. My math skills were more unreliable, though, than my other theoretical skills; for sometimes I would make extremely *stupid* and careless mistakes, and contradictingly, sometimes I would understand something difficult very easily. My math teacher admitted to being confused by the unpredictability of my mathematical understanding.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Highest correlation is to N as a single trait. IN has the greatest number of very high IQs (and depression, and all sorts of issues....) but besides that, isn't all that strongly correlated to IQ. T/J have no relevance to IQ, but J/P is for academics ect (with J being extremely predictive of how well one will do in school/job, along with IQ).

This is true for gF and gC, though it sometimes shows that gF (the "raw" IQ) is more influenced by N... which makes sense, since they both test abstract/unlearned content.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
There was a thread about this topic on INTPc recently, and the consensus was pretty much what ptgatsby stated. N is the most important trait. And IQ is relatively meaningless, anyway.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh, N's on average have a higher IQ, but are also more likely to have "unused potential".

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Sahara wrote:

someone can have a high IQ and it mean nothing because they do nothing with it, whereas someone with a lower IQ could achieve so much more because they actually act on whatever intelligence they have.

IQ does not really = intelligence.

I would agree with this. I have a somewhat high IQ but have done nothing meaningful with it other than fuel my imagination (which naturally is meaningful only to me).

ptgatsby wrote:

T/J have no relevance to IQ, but J/P is for academics ect (with J being extremely predictive of how well one will do in school/job, along with IQ).

So, that's the explanation! I'll take any excuse I can get.

J = success drive :nerd:
P = play drive :coffee:

Yet people think of INTPs as the consummate nerds . . . hah! INTJ all the way. (Well, okay, maybe both are, in a good nerd/bad nerd way, with the driven outshining the daydreaming.)

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Remember that IQ is a measure of intelligence. The MBTI S/N dichotomy measures practicality over creativity, which are two forms of intelligence. It's been said over and over again that IQ doesn't measure creativity.

The scientific community when it comes to psychometrics is biased. I haven't taken an IQ test (with a clinician in the room) in quite some time. But when a clinician is in the room, I would imagine that an IQ score is determined beyond multiple choice and problem solving questions.

When determining an IQ, do they also factor interests relative to age level into the equation? As in would a child with more intellectual or esoteric interests more likely have a higher IQ? If not, then why else would a clinician be overseeing the test-taking process?

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
My friend recently took a test with his gifted program, and said almost everyone in it was N. He is a strong N. His remarks didn't seem to indicate that any other trait had a strong correlation with being in the gifted program.

At the same time, IQ is pretty worthless. Of the people I know, one of the ones with the highest IQ can't support himself. P/J probably has the highest correlation with keeping a job.