• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

underthegun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Here's a link about the topic. Probably been mentioned before, but oh well.
Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

I think NTs have a nasty advantage. They are lovers of disembodied information, analytical discussions, and are inherently rational. NFs are often close behind.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...these things are pointless and useless indicators of one's intelligence .. therefore as a result i don't put the effort i should into each question ..

This. I always think, "Who gives a flying crap?"

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Here's a link about the topic. Probably been mentioned before, but oh well.
Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

I think NTs have a nasty advantage. They are lovers of disembodied information, analytical discussions, and are inherently rational. NFs are often close behind.

Then again, the guy who wrote that blog seems like a dumb close minded self righteous prick to me. So statistics are still just that.
Also, I think intjs are the only ones believing they're actually so smart as a mb type.
Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes04.gif

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then again, the guy who wrote that blog seems like a dumb close minded self righteous prick to me. So statistics are still just that.
Also, I think intjs are the only ones believing they're actually so smart as a mb type.
Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes04.gif

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Quick question: What is the definition of 'gifted' in this sample?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
My instincts tell me that NT would do well on IQ tests, if only because they were the type of person would invent IQ tests, then tailor them to suit their own branch of smart! I've yet to find an IQ question that reads "You need to buy some supplies, but the shop is about to close and the staff would rather just throw you out and go home. What do you say to persuade them to serve you?"

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think intjs are the only ones believing they're actually so smart as a mb type.

Actually, I think most NTs are more than willing to believe that they're the smartest people on the planet. I am very skeptical about these sources.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Eck....

ROFLMAO = sample size of 16 - is this serious?

I love it when people do up wonderful tables full of stattistical data and then in small print at the bottom has something along the lines of sample size per group = 16.... skip the % and write some narrative around the subjective.... the data is qual only... :)

Eck no slam at you - you are just posting someone else blunder

Intellegence doesn't = sucesses, there was a thead on the low sucess rate of mensa people earlier in the summer

Also does career sucesses really = sucesses.... surely contentment = happier adults = sucessful life... what that looks like for individuals is very different.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually, I think most NTs are more than willing to believe that they're the smartest people on the planet. I am very skeptical about these sources.

LOL = are you saying they are not? ;) And I am just taking the piss, NT may or may not be the brightest in proportion, but they certainly are the most intellectually arrogant.... :):) LOL

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL = are you saying they are not? ;)

Nah, I'm an NT myself, remember? :nerd:

Now back to my calculations... if I could just figure out the connection between banana chips and warp speed...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Nah, I'm an NT myself, remember? :nerd:

Now back to my calculations... if I could just figure out the connection between banana chips and warp speed...

ROFLMAO - I knew you were, which is why I said it, v funny..... but NTs really do seem to beleive they are brighter... many are of course but some aren't

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Eck....

ROFLMAO = sample size of 16 - is this serious?

I love it when people do up wonderful tables full of stattistical data and then in small print at the bottom has something along the lines of sample size per group = 16.... skip the % and write some narrative around the subjective.... the data is qual only... :)
They meant 16 types. Wierd wording though. I'm not backing these sources, I just wanted to show that whatever somebody says about mbti and 'smartness' there'll always be a study to back it up.
Actually in one of the or the only official studies out there, they found that young entps had the highest or second highest iq : P. I don't remember the age range, but hey, we stay young inside our heads.

edit: oh, that one: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ude-breakdowns-type-sat-iq-act.html#post25019

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Intellegence doesn't = sucesses, there was a thead on the low sucess rate of mensa people earlier in the summer
You mean the low success rate of ppl making little clubs where they get similar people to tell them how great they are and should never change because they're perfect just the way they are as their moms always said. :laugh:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
They meant 16 types. Wierd wording though. I'm not backing these sources, I just wanted to show that whatever somebody says about mbti and 'smartness' there'll always be a study to back it up.
Actually in one of the or the only official studies out there, they found that young entps had the highest or second highest iq : P. I don't remember the age range, but hey, we stay young inside our heads.

sample.jpg

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually in one of the only 'official' studies they found that young entps had the highest or second highest iq : P. I don't remember the age range, but hey, we stay young inside our heads.

OK, its misleading, so what is the sample size cos the issue still exsists, if the sample size is too small then at best its qaul finding.

Dont' worry I didn't think for a minute you were advocating the results. For what it's worth "offical doesn't make it nessesarily good". I've seen wickedly badly conducted and interpreted data from some highly regarded organsiations.

"You mean the low success rate of ppl making little clubs where they get similar people to tell them how great they are and should never change because they're perfect just the way they are as their moms always said."

I'm not sure I totaly follow your thinking, but what I meant by sucesses doesn't = sucess, mensa is full of unsucessful people, IF one chooses to measure sucess as seniority at work or materialisim.

It gets us into what does sucess mean, and this thread is about IQ and MBTI, and as you said there will be loads of conflicting "research" on the subject.

Intersting to share and I would be interested to know WHO the sample was, how rep is was and the sample sizes involved. So many of these are on the student population which makes the findings pretty irrelevant.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

SORRY GUYS

I'm so STUPID.... columns N = sample size (should be labled n)....

How the hell did they get 548 ENTPs? I'm very suspicious of where the sample came from because ENTPs are typicall 1-5% of the population

I'm concerns over how they sampled this, 75% of the UK population is S typed and this survey is heavily skewed N types - no idea what population it relates to but I' suspicious....

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
SORRY GUYS

I'm so STUPID.... columns N = sample size (should be labled n)....

How the hell did they get 548 ENTPs? I'm very suspicious of where the sample came from because ENTPs are typicall 1-5% of the population
Some cultures consider N traits to be more desirable when something like the uk "protestant work ethics"'s rather pro S and it'll show on mbti types distribution I guess by getting 'borderline N/S' onto the N side of the fence

and about the 548 entps: free food ?

Don't worry, the 16 thing is really UNCLEAR

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I dont really think there is a correlation between type and IQ.

There will be a correlation between smart parents having smart kids, but thats probably about it.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I dont really think there is a correlation between type and IQ.

There will be a correlation between smart parents having smart kids, but thats probably about it.

And the philosophy theme for tonight: is the world what we think of it and to what degree should we relate to some sort of data before forming opinions.

In a relativistic system, everything is by definition, connected and interdependant. Some correlations are just lower than others.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Some cultures consider N traits to be more desirable and it'll show on mbti types distribution I guess by getting 'borderline N/S' onto the N side of the fence

and about the 548 entps: free food ?

LOL @ free food...

Don't worry about me picking, I know you are just the messenger... but I have huge doubts over source of the sample, it would be really strange in all the literature I've read N types are c.25% or less of the population (irrespective of country, but I've not seen it broken down country by country).

MBTI is skewed towards the US/UK use, so it's not as widely used in the sothern Hemesphere I beleive.

Still interesting.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
LOL @ free food...

Don't worry about me picking, I know you are just the messenger... but I have huge doubts over source of the sample, it would be really strange in all the literature I've read N types are c.25% or less of the population (irrespective of country, but I've not seen it broken down country by country).

MBTI is skewed towards the US/UK use, so it's not as widely used in the sothern Hemesphere I beleive.

Still interesting.

Yeah i sort of have the same questions. I mean, I don't see alot of entps around me and sometimes I see numbers like 5-7% which just seem unrealistic (or maybe they're hiding