• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

icmlite

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You guys can use me as anecdotal evidence to support the view that MBTI and IQ still probably aren't sufficient determining factors in deciding whether somebody will make something of themselves. I'm an ENFP, >140, on track to graduate from Harvard, and probably still wont really do anything useful for the world in my lifetime. I'm pretty happy though, that's another factor to consider :)

Also, just to link back to the OP's question, I think it might be framed a little inconsistently.. I don't think IQ is a very accurate or indicative measure of what modern society should value as intelligence. So even if a correlate exists, I'm not sure if that would mean anything - I highly doubt it would suggest any sort of causal relationship between the two.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
generally, I would say INJs are the most intelligent (dominant Ni = psychic mutha fucka) followed by ENPs (dominant extraverted intuition). I've seen examples of many sensors that are extremely intelligent. some of the most intelligent people I know are an ESTP and an ESFP (SPs seem to be in touch with their instincts which gives them a different type of intuition that isn't really cognitive in nature)
my father is an INFJ and he is so intelligent he has trouble relating to normal people (I can relate to this, sometimes my mind will go on a sort of intellectual auto pilot and leave me completely out of touch with the my social instincts and the present moment. good thing most of my friends are ESFP jocks, they snap me out of it well :) )

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is there any significant correlation? On average, who is the smartest type? For that matter, how do all the types rank? I've done some Google research, and all I've really found are two articles on it. Ironically, these two seem to suggest that Feeling and Intuitive types have higher I.Q.s. I find this kind of strange because I would imagine that Sensing and Thinking would make one smarter rather than going by one's emotions. Strange...

Of course you think that. You're a Sensing-Thinker.

IQ tests are biased toward iNtuitive-Thinking intelligence.

"Intelligence" is too multi-faceted to be described accurately by one linear number.

There are numerous different kinds of intelligence--a high IQ score doesn't make you smarter than everyone; it just means you're better at the one or two types of intelligence that IQ tests test.

So yes, NTs do tend to score higher on IQ tests than other types, but that doesn't actually make them more intelligent overall.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
They've done studies amongst gifted children, and NPs, as in I/ENTPs and I/ENFPs make up 50% of the gifted student population.

They also score highest in IQ tests, lemme find the link.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
SENG: Articles & Resources - Gifted kids at risk: Who's listening?

Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They've done studies amongst gifted children, and NPs, as in I/ENTPs ans I/ENFPs make up 50% of the gifted student population.

They also score highest in IQ test, lemme find the link.

"Gifted" is such a loaded word.

It makes NPs really, really pretentious about their own intelligence.

Try to remember that IQ =/= intelligence.

Jaguar

The MBTI S/N dichotomy measures practicality over creativity, which are two forms of intelligence. It's been said over and over again that IQ doesn't measure creativity.

MBTI does nothing more than tally up what you were forced to choose, whether it's true or not.
MBTI forces a person to choose between S or N while the person is left with the likely consequence of having to deny part of themselves.
The majority of questions are not mutually exclusive.

Case in point:

dreaming up imaginative ideas (N)
getting things done as and when they arise (S)

adding established facts to what I already know (S)
uncovering new potential in other people or situations (N)

I do all four of those, all the time. Period.

To force me to choose between two things that are as natural to me as breathing, is unacceptable and misleading.
Many of the questions are so unfair, it's like being asked if you prefer your left or right ventricle.
People need both ventricles for optimal heart function.

Using the same analogy, I need both S and N for optimal function.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Everyone in their right place, everyone has their own purpose, and niche.

IQ is just an aptitude test that reflects how good you are at taking an IQ test.

I think there is some merit to it, but in the same breath, for those of us who think way outside of the boxesphere, we see a question from a multitude of sides and are like, wait, what exactly do you want me to answer, again? Too many possibilities, mang!!!

:D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
To force me to choose between two things that are as natural to me as breathing, is unacceptable and misleading.
Many of the questions are so unfair, it's like being asked if you prefer your left or right ventricle.
People need both ventricles for optimal heart function..
I feel you.

Hahaha, so, the infamous Jaguar, dare I ask... what's your MBTI type?

:)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MBTI does nothing more than tally up what you were forced to choose, whether it's true or not.
MBTI forces a person to choose between S or N while the person is left with the likely consequence of having to deny part of themselves.
The majority of questions are not mutually exclusive.

Case in point:

dreaming up imaginative ideas (N)
getting things done as and when they arise (S)

adding established facts to what I already know (S)
uncovering new potential in other people or situations (N)

I do all four of those, all the time. Period.

People need both ventricles for optimal heart function.

Using the same analogy, I need both S and N for optimal function.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Using everything as well as possible, striving for balance, is the only natural path for me, too.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, to be petty, I did notice that ENFPs pwn at representing the gifted population!

15.45%

W00t!!!

That ain't half bad!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
They've done studies amongst gifted children, and NPs, as in I/ENTPs and I/ENFPs make up 50% of the gifted student population.

That information is almost entirely irrelevant, though, without factoring in their percentage in the total population/sample. It's the disparity between % in the gifted population and % in the normal population that matters.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
That information is almost entirely irrelevant, though, without factoring in their percentage in the total population/sample. It's the disparity between % in the gifted population and % in the normal population that matters.
Hahaha, well, then... INTJs pwn.

You sneaky bastard!

Chloe

Also, to be petty, I did notice that ENFPs pwn at representing the gifted population!

15.45%

W00t!!!

That ain't half bad!

yeah, like Metamorphosis said 15% for ENFPs is less impressive than 12% for INTPs because ratio between gifted and norm is relevant.
:blush: but why am I saying this, everyone gifted will notice this, right :blush: or already did :blush:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
FWIW, the ISTP I know and love has an IQ of 136! :)

I have never tested officially. The online ones I rank between 140 was the lowest and 165 was the highest, but I still dont believe them. Was gonna try getting into mensa, but never could find a reason other than just to say I am in it, so I dropped the idea.