• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Night Terrors

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, Ive suffered from night terrors since I was a kid.
Funny, I was talking about this last night.

I don't ever get up and run around [though my brother used to]. I just sit up really fast, gasping or screaming, filled with an overwhelming sense of fear, with nothing to link it to sometimes. The screams are always cut off.. I wake up realizing I'm screaming and stop. A couple of times Ive done that and people heard, came in and asked wtf was going on and I just burst into tears like a little kid.. again not knowing why. but it'd last under a minute and I'd feel ridiculous and go back to sleep.

There are occasions where I don't recall it happening at all; people gingerly ask me about it the next morning. They seem concerned or freaked out, but, it's more or less a sleep disturbance, occurring in the same deep sleep cycle as other sleep disturbances like, sleepwalking, or bruxism.

Sometimes there'll be a flash of an image, like a spider on my pillow or a dark figure loomng over me. Or someone whispering or yelling. I wake up not knowing where I am for a second or two sometimes. It helps to be able to see something when I wake up. Recognition.

It happens once every few months. I keep a nightlight on. Not because I'm afraid of the dark, but it helps me readjust to my surroundings faster upon waking. I can't seem to find any specific triggers for their frequency.. They happen just as often when I'm stressed/not stressed, eating/sleeping normally or otherwise, etc.

Since I've dealt with them for as long as I can remember, they don't tend to interfere with my waking life too much. i just consider them to be synaptic misfirings. I detach, rationalize it, and go back to sleep.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sometimes there'll be a flash of an image, like a spider on my pillow or a dark figure loomng over me.

Yeah, that's why I personally prefer to live in gentrified areas, even though the rent is higher.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Never had night terrors (or even any sort of "bad" dream). I did have some major sleepwalking as a child, and occasionally still do. However, mine was very odd....I'd actually coherently do things while asleep. Like go and use the bathroom, and return to bed properly. But be totally asleep and not remember it, and if someone tried to talk to me while I was I'd talk a little bit, then stop and continue what I was doing....

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, that's why I personally prefer to live in gentrified areas, even though the rent is higher.

Well at that point I'm pretty sure I'd end up with some creepy figure looming over me in the dark for real.
I'm sure you might enjoy that, Edgar, but I do not...

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Author, you were trying to be an intuitive. I sometimes get night terrors, but much less intense. I wake with a falling, scared senation, but I quickly recover in about 10 seconds the moment I realize I'm pressing into the floor.

MBTI Type
INFP
i cant believe i found thread about night terrors.

When i was young i use to get them alot, i mean alot, i use to dream that stationary was attacking me, i also always dreamt my teddy bears were possesed and would come alive and hurt me if i didnt treat them well, i was also always afriad of the dark and what the dark deep shadows contained.
when i had them i would run into my parents bedroom at 3:00 am and i just use to just stand there and stare into the distance like i was possesed and i would be breathing really fast, this happened for about 6 years and every time my dad would get out of bed and take me back to my room.

I also no that my INFJ cousin would get these when she was young, she use to walk aroung the house screaming until, my aunty would walk her back to bed.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
i cant believe i found thread about night terrors.

When i was young i use to get them alot, i mean alot, i use to dream that stationary was attacking me, i also always dreamt my teddy bears were possesed and would come alive and hurt me if i didnt treat them well, i was also always afriad of the dark and what the dark deep shadows contained.
when i had them i would run into my parents bedroom at 3:00 am and i just use to just stand there and stare into the distance like i was possesed and i would be breathing really fast, this happened for about 6 years and every time my dad would get out of bed and take me back to my room.

I also no that my INFJ cousin would get these when she was young, she use to walk aroung the house screaming until, my aunty would walk her back to bed.

Isn't it amazing what your subconscious can make you think?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I had a bad dream the other day, and I thought I was going nuts. I really felt crazy after that nightmare. I went back to sleep after about half an hour, and then woke up 3 hours later and felt great. Not sure I ever had what was described in Post #1.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Author, you were trying to be an intuitive. I sometimes get night terrors, but much less intense. I wake with a falling, scared senation, but I quickly recover in about 10 seconds the moment I realize I'm pressing into the floor.

What I mean is that I occaisionally become oerwhelmed with fear, although I master it and am fine within ten seconds.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think these count as night terrors, but ever since i was about 13 i've had recurring nightmares about zombies (generally i'm having to kill them and survive), i've had them so often that i actually know i'm dreaming when i have one, however i can't actually wake up from it so start to do the whole 'maybe i'm not dreaming and this is real' thing, which quite honestly scares the bejeebus out of me, sometimes i'll have multiple nightmares a month and then go ages without having one, but it's been a recurring thing for about 16 years now and unfortunately hasn't got better with age...

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
The only time I get nightmares, I always end up being killed in something that I plan that goes horribly awry or someone betrays me. I was once locked out of a bunker during a zerg attack. I spent the next three dream hours fighting back frantically back with my AK-47. I was vomiting blood by the bucketful, and my vision was blurred due to blood loss, yet they kept comming. I reloaded my gun, and a hydralisk got up to me it. I lunged at with my bayonet, and got it through the skull, although it peiced my guts. I was bleeding out rapidly, and I could hardly discern anything. Then, another attack came, I began throwing grenades at the sound, killing several. I took out my AK and emptied a final clip. Then, a hydralisk charged my and rammed me agaisnt the door. I stabbed it with my bayonet, but I was too slow and clumsy due to blood loss and pain. I was overwhelmed with the fear of battle. As I stabbed it through the heart, it's claw came through my skull and with an epic jolt of pain, I died.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I had some crazy sh*te going on last night.

Dreamt that the light shade above my bed had a red beam coming from it and it was going to cut my bed into quarters. So i jumped out a total of 4 times thinking i don't want to get cut up. I would wake up at my bedroom door, tell myself i am an idiot and get back in bed. 4 times though.
*tut*. Lol

Ruby Tuesday

MBTI Type
INFJ
These are so interesting. Sometimes they seem to walk a really fine line between 'dream' and 'reality'. I've had so many, that were so 'real' and memorable, that I don't know where to begin boring you with all of them. One is especially interesting though because it falls into a category I believe is called 'night paralysis'? Although it actually happened in daytime. It started as a a dream but continued into waking.

I was on the Greek island of Santorini - which is a pretty strange-feeling place because of its volcanic history - with a friend, who wasn't easy to travel with (nor was I, I'm sure!) so things between us were a little strained. We rented a little house in Oia for a few days, a one bedroom to save money. We lay down for a siesta nap, and I dreamt that something, a form of succubus, was stealing my life force. I recognised the feeling from another dream I'd had years earlier in which a witchy-looking woman with rune scars on her face put her hands on my face and started pulling the life force from me: I always felt I'd pulled away from her and woken up "just in time" from that one.

Anyway, in Greece, I awoke from this more vague but similar-feeling dream, to find myself terror-stricken and totally unable to move. There was a horrible weight to the paralysis. It was broad daylight still, I could see that through my eyelids, but couldn't open them. (I was DEFinitely awake at this point). My head was turned to my right; there was a malevolent presence next to my left ear, and a loud roaring sound in it, like the sound inside a seashell but with the volume at 11. The feeling that my life force was being stolen was still strong. It occurred to me, rather nonsensically, that if I could just connect with one other living being I would be saved. Through an immense effort of will I moved my foot a couple of inches and touched the leg of my sleeping friend with a toe. As soon as I did, everything - the sound, feeling, and general paralysis - vanished.

My friend slept on. I got up, shaking and in a cold sweat, and wandered the lanes of Oia trying to shake the fear and disturbance. A woman in a jewelry shop asked if I was okay, so I told her what had happened, thinking she'd find it strange. Instead she gave me a long look, told me that her island had "much mysteries and oddness", and insisted on giving me a 'blue eye' bead for my hoop earring at no charge, to keep the "curses and evils" away. I guess it worked because that never happened again.