• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Male Body Image Issues

juggernaut

Permabanned
and she always wears heels...

I love it!! I wish I had the guts. I always feel like I look like a giant drag queen in anything with more than a 2-inch lift.

Sorry guys we've totally hijacked the thread.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Slightly on topic and length related. Although not that much of an issue for me per se.

I naturally walk bent slightly. To walk straight up needs a Ti component on my part to achieve. (And often results in a very fake-like unnaturally big pace, bigger then my already rather big pace. :p )

:p

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Slightly on topic and length related. Although not that much of an issue for me per se.

I naturally walk bent slightly. To walk straight up needs a Ti component on my part to achieve. (And often results in a very fake-like unnaturally big pace, bigger then my already rather big pace. :p )

:p

aww, you are so adorably broken. :smooch:

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
What are body and face image issues like for men?

If you have these issues, do you often admit them or do you tend to not think about them and use self talk to detract from them?

When are such thoughts likely to come up?

What issues specifically do you have about your own body and face?

Thank you in advance for any willing to answer these questions.

Well, I suppose men have some body issues. I've never really talked to any other guys about their own issues. We generally tend to keep to ourselves about it.

I have plenty of body issues. I don't like my hair style all that much, but there isn't much I can do with the type of hair I have. I have a big nose that has indeed been broken once (or cracked, I don't remember) by someone. And the biggest is my chest. I have mild pectus excavatum.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
My ears are also not both on the same height,

Same...it's not too extreme in my case and I just assume that people find it cute. Don't wear them all the time, though.

My brother is a lot more body/image conscious than I am. I sometimes stumble upon imperfections by accident...I was 19 when I noticed the ears and I've only recently figured out one corner of my mouth is slightly higher than the other (because I was filming a video question for an astronaut that's leaving for the ISS, lol). Also one front tooth is a bit longer than the other. I'm sure there's tons more to come, but I'll just go with the flow.

Most of these things were previously pointed out to me by my brother. :D He looks at me more intently than I look at myself in the mirror. Even when I look at a picture it often doesn't pop out. TBH, I kind of like that.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Once in a blue moon I'll take up issue with my nose (it's pretty big). Other than that, I don't have too many issues. Although I pretty much look how I like to look, even if the rest of the world thinks I look like a troll. :laugh:

I had way more issues when I was younger and tried to meet societies standards. Then I got over that.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
None now, i use to be insecure when i was younger.

If you have these issues, do you often admit them or do you tend to not think about them and use self talk to detract from them?
Cry myself to sleep....j/k, I generally kept it in, since you know you can't really do anything on how you look.

I guess that was the source of my shyness a few years back.

Well for one, my body isn't easy to mold because when i was taking weightlifting pretty seriously, i couldn't get bigger. Tried to get a six pack and had moderate success, i pretty much had to kill myself, ran 6 miles in the morning, then work out 2 hours at night (3 times a week for the run, and 5 times a week in the gym). This routine lasted a couple of months before i decided its not worth it. Nowdays, i just run 3 miles (3-4 times a week) and call it a day and i eat whatevah i want. I still maintain 150 lbs which is a good weight for me.

np

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well I'm short and unmuscular. I rarely care about that though, and I have no other issues with my body.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The main difference for men is that society tends to place less pressure on them to be physically attractive. Attractiveness isn't considered as germane to the male image, and there often seems to be a pressure for men not to care about their appearance. This can create a situation where a man really wants to look good but feels that he can't act on that concern.

I don't have that issue. I'm very much concerned about my appearance, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I have a terrible, terrible lot of issues with my appearance. Long story short, I consider myself ugly, which cripples me socially and devastates my odds of ever having a romantic relationship.

LucrativeSid

I'll bet it's not that much different than it is for women, only we are looking for different things.

I'll admit to anything. It seems like a logical first step towards getting over it. Even back in the day, I knew that honesty could destroy awkwardness.

Things that have bothered me in the past: I've always felt pretty masculine, but I didn't look like it, and that pissed me off. I wanted to look tough and manly (especially as a teenager) but instead I looked (and still do) boyish and sweet. Baby face, not very hairy, thin facial hair, small jaw instead of a big square one, small round shaped head. The acne into my early 20s didn't help, either. My hair is thin and I've got a receding hairline already.

I guess I've always wanted to be tall, dark, and handsome, with nice hair and the ability to grow a thick beard if I wanted to.

Well, that's just not me. There's more things about my body that I like than I dislike. I'm tall enough (5'10''), I'm naturally muscular, I actually like the way my face looks, etc... Acne isn't really a problem anymore.

Still, I always thought I was attractive and never had a problem with the opposite sex. Cute with a great personality is always just as good as hot, and sometimes better.

I don't worry about that stuff too often anymore.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think I'm fine, the only problem would be that, just like the OP, my nose is slightly crooked due to being hit by a soccer ball when I was 13.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's someone for everyone. My little sister is 6'2" and her last bf was 5'8". I'm 5'6" and my last bf was 6'7".

How'd you end up such drastically different heights? Are you full sisters?
Okay...sorry to derail :D

The guys I've known who were most insecure about their looks are INTPs. I suspect one has an eating disorder. They all had such low views of themselves....it was sad. :(

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'll bet it's not that much different than it is for women, only we are looking for different things.

I think it is similar, although perhaps not quite as deeply entrenched. That, and the standards are a hell of a lot more reasonable for men than women!

MBTI Type
INTJ

I always admit them. I like to make jokes about them to put it out there so that no one can beat me to it. It puts me at ease. Especially online where no one can tell what you look like unless you tell them.

When I'm around someone I'm attracted to.

I'm fat, I have a weak chin, and I have a Letterman-esque gap between my front teeth. That said, I do like some things about myself physically. I think I have a nice face and good hair.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, I guess I'll fess up.

I most likely suffer from "bigorexia," which would be the psychological state of uneasiness associated with missing a workout.

Being raised in a military household during the classical age of modern bodybuilding (ahemm....Schwarzenegger, Zane, Waller, Draper, Oliva, Nubret, etc...) put a little bit of pressure on young Alex.

"THIS - is what you are supposed to look like when you are a grown up; like Daddy. OK? Now let's do some more push ups."

:D

I am totally OK with it, really, but that's mostly because everything I do is some type of super-fucking-perfection-quest, so I guess at least I am consistent...

Honestly I care not about my face or gate or style of clothing, these things are but the surface of a man. I am truly more concerned about inner and outer strength, virtue, intent, and an inner sense of duty. Fuck the media and their expectations of me...

;)

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram

Less bothersome for men, but more severe than for women. Men have relatively low standards. They'll take just about any woman that will unabashedly lay hand to their prick. Women, have high standards, and I happen to be the opposite of everything that society wants in men.

I admit them, and they compound my already romantically challenged situation.

Whenever I see any attractive female that doesn't appear to already have a boyfriend and/or actually seem welcoming enough that I have a chance.

I am too short, blond, becomming slightly fat, not very muscular, and have acne.

Thanks, now find me an ENF female who's single!

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Interesting. I tend to believe that men want taller women and that's why men don't find me attractive.:cry:

When I see couples all over the place - or when I've recently been rejected. I will sometimes write it off as 'Well of course, girls want taller guys, no wonder girls don't find me attractive.

I

I however, like taller women. Too bad there's none available that aren't taken / hate me.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
The guys I've known who were most insecure about their looks are INTPs. I suspect one has an eating disorder. They all had such low views of themselves....it was sad. :(

It's because society is cruel enough to us already, and we can't even get a girl. We really have to go the fugly bars to even have a chance. Then, the only girls that will even take us as people are taken, and the ENFP's are just playing with us. Overall, for us, it's WW3, and we're on the Russian Border.