• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Consistency of Thought

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For whatever reason being consistent in my thinking is of primary importance to me. If I hold a value or line of reasoning in one context, but fail to maintain it in another, I am quite driven to try to straighten it out. Sometimes I'll connect with someone and share some line of thinking, and then am rather jarred by an unexpected inconsistency that appear irrational to me (i realize it is conceptually possible that I am the inconsistent one and only perceive it in the other as such, ha). It's not impossible that it relates to my underlying anxiety because people who change moods too much make me quite uneasy, but the same is true for inconsistent thinking. It only partly throws me when it happens, but it can be unnerving when it isn't a mistake that the person desires to correct. It makes it harder to interact because it starts to seem like a mine field. It is much harder to see the underlying patterns and make sense of the whole. I actually prefer that someone reject me all the time, be irrational all the time, etc. rather than be accepting and/or rational and then spring the big shocker on me. I might need to give examples, but will wait on that. Striving for consistency in myself and my interactions with others is a core aspect of who I am.

Some people are able to be content with marked inconsistencies. I'm just wondering how various types relate to this sort of thing. Do inconsistencies in behavior, thought, or feeling bother you? Is there an aspect that is a strength? Do you work to be consistent, or does it particularly matter?

Mole

Permabanned
For whatever reason being consistent in my thinking is of primary importance to me. If I hold a value or line of reasoning in one context, but fail to maintain it in another, I am quite driven to try to straighten it out. Sometimes I'll connect with someone and share some line of thinking, and then am rather jarred by an unexpected inconsistency that appear irrational to me (i realize it is conceptually possible that I am the inconsistent one and only perceive it in the other as such, ha). It's not impossible that it relates to my underlying anxiety because people who change moods too much make me quite uneasy, but the same is true for inconsistent thinking. It only partly throws me when it happens, but it can be unnerving when it isn't a mistake that the person desires to correct. It makes it harder to interact because it starts to seem like a mine field. It is much harder to see the underlying patterns and make sense of the whole. I actually prefer that someone reject me all the time, be irrational all the time, etc. rather than be accepting and/or rational and then spring the big shocker on me. I might need to give examples, but will wait on that. Striving for consistency in myself and my interactions with others is a core aspect of who I am.

Some people are able to be content with marked inconsistencies. I'm just wondering how various types relate to this sort of thing. Do inconsistencies in behavior, thought, or feeling bother you? Is there an aspect that is a strength? Do you work to be consistent, or does it particularly matter?

It is cognitive dissonance that is making you uncomfortable. And you seek to relieve your discomfort by seeking to integrate the inconsistencies.

Do keep in mind that cognitive dissonance is a sign that learning is taking place; also that cognitive dissonance is the way science progresses.

But most of all remember that those who seek to integrate their own minds are courageous and beautiful.

And that intellectual and moral integrity is a crowning virtue.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
I have a code of conduct, but at the end of the day, I will take each situation for what it is.

Mole

Permabanned
I have a code of conduct, but at the end of the day, I will take each situation for what it is.

Ah, my ol' Alpha Prime, you are a Situationist.

But keep in mind that no one can predict the future, and that is why we have morality.

Morality is our covenant with the future.

As we move into the future moment by moment, we can't know what is going to happen, so instead we behave in a beautiful way - we move into the future with trust - trust in one another.

And just as truth is beauty and beauty is truth -

Morality is trust and trust is morality.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Ah, my ol' Alpha Prime, you are a Situationist.

But keep in mind that no one can predict the future, and that is why we have morality.

Morality is our covenant with the future.

As we move into the future moment by moment, we can't know what is going to happen, so instead we behave in a beautiful way - we move into the future with trust - trust in one another.

And just as truth is beauty and beauty is truth -

Morality is trust and trust is morality.

Do you mean to say that morality is based on trust in other people?

Mole

Permabanned
Do you mean to say that morality is based on trust in other people?

Well Philadelphia, I don't mean anything.

Rather I am making something.

But what am I making?

I am making a metaphor which takes the form of -

A is to B as C is to D.

So, "Truth is to beauty as trust is to morality".

I am making a comparison of relationships.

I am comparing the relationship between truth and beauty to the relationship between trust and morality.

So you might interrogate a comparison of relationships to find if it is consonant or dissonant.

But if you ask what it means, it won't know what to say.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well Philadelphia, I don't mean anything.

Rather I am making something.

But what am I making?

I am making a metaphor which takes the form of -

A is to B as C is to D.

So, "Truth is to beauty as trust is to morality".

I am making a comparison of relationships.

I am comparing the relationship between truth and beauty to the relationship between trust and morality.

So you might interrogate a comparison to find if it is consonant or dissonant.

But if you ask what it means, it won't know what to say.

I get the analogy, but I don't see how trust=morality like "truth is beauty."

Mole

Permabanned
I get the analogy, but I don't see how trust=morality like "truth is beauty."

I am inclined to agree with you. It is a poor metaphor.

I tied it to a chair and tortured it until it revealed that to compare truth and beauty with trust and morality is somewhat ham-fisted.

And finally it admitted it was just showing off. It admitted that truth and beauty is a lovely relationship but, as you so well point out, trust and morality is somewhat doubtful.

Under enhanced interrogation techniques it told me it didn't really know what it was saying, that it got carried away, and hoped it wouldn't get caught.

And by this stage the metaphor was looking rather pathetic so I untied it. But it jumped up and fled from the room, shouting, "You bloody fool, I'll be back".

So I would be grateful if you would watch my back and carefully read every word I write, and tell me the moment the metaphor shows its face.

Last edited:

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am inclined to agree with you. It is a poor metaphor.

I tied it to a chair and tortured it until it revealed that to compare truth and beauty with trust and morality is somewhat ham-fisted.

And finally it admitted it was just showing off. It admitted that truth and beauty is lovely relationship but, as you so well point out, trust and morality is somewhat doubtful.

Under enhanced interrogation techniques it told me it didn't really know what it was saying, that it got carried away, and hoped it wouldn't get caught.

And by this stage the metaphor was looking rather pathetic so I untied it. But it jumped up and fled from the room, shouting, "You bloody fool, I'll be back".

So I would be grateful if you would watch my back and carefully read every word I write, and tell me the moment the metaphor shows its face.

I hope I never have to Australia.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
To me? Whenever I notice inconsistencies in others, including myself.. it's usually a sign that something that we do/say isn't quite in alignment of who we truly are/what we truly want inside..

Sometimes, I think inconsistencies have to do a lot with 'expectations' that people feel that they need to do for others, including themselves and ourselves.

So, it's usually a matter of social obligation vs. personal needs/wants?

I think that when we feel we 'need' something, the more likely the patterns of inconsistencies there are in our behavior. When we're at peace with ourselves? The more consistent we remain.

I think that since life is in a constant flux and that we tend to get influenced by our surroundings (social, situation, peer, family, etc), sometimes we veer off the wrong path, either consciously or unconsciously to avoid dealing with the pain.. Perhaps, those who are more inconsistent are dealing with the instant 'pleasure principle.'

I tend to be consistent overall.. In terms of inconsistencies in others? I'm okay with it, as I realize that we're all in the path to finding out about our true selves, each and everyday? We become so socialized that we lose touch with what truly makes us happy in the purest sense? Yah.. I think so.. :unsure: :D

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

My thinking is not consistent all of the time. If i think to much about it, i will drive myself insane. I just tell myself being open minded and open to other possibilities is a good thing. I hate with a passion that my moods can go from very happy to very sad. I do struggle to control that. I need to find a balance with that. Preferably soon.

S

Sniffles

My lines of thought are often paradoxical, so they can appear to be inconsistent on the surface, but deep down there's an underlining unity to it all.

Long story short: if I have two inconsistent truths, I'll take the two truths and the inconsistency along with it. It really doesn't bother me that much. It's usually logical sticklers(yeah you know who you are) who have the problem with it.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To the OP, I do think about consistency a lot, but I'm starting to think it's part of the myth of the "Self". I think we hold back a lot on doing what would make sense- on what would be better or right for a situation- instead relying on what we've done in the past that validated what we think better represents our "true self". But why does this internal conception matter?

I'm starting to think that who we think we are is not anyone at all. We are our actions, yes. But a whole person is what the person has done throughout, and just because the trend before has followed a certain pattern, doesn't mean the whole (including the future) is represented well in parts of the pattern we can already see.

It's limiting to force ourselves to be "consistent"- it assumes we already know the grand system into which all the situations will fall, when shouldn't it work the other way around. We should react situationally (the right decision at the right time) and draw tentative "systems" around those individual solutions (and use that systematic approach when we haven't got enough facts to make an informed specific solution).

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
For me, consistency is important. I try to mend, or at least understand, any inconsistencies I find in myself. I like to have structure externally and internally because it keeps things organized, efficient, and understandable.
It is like having some basic guidelines that are followed, in various ways, in different situations.

sculpting

My moods can vary quite a bit, and I can be sort of all over the place in a given day.

However mentally I have lots of stuff mixing around and when things dont match up it feels "lumpy" so my brain will sort of chew at it in the background like a puzzle until I acheive some clarity or make some sense out of it.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Are you a calculator?

Didn't think so.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

Consistency is good and all, but not if you're wrong. Beware of trying to force a principle onto contexts where it doesn't apply.

Everything needs to be considered in context, but at the same time if you do that it becomes harder for people to understand your thinking and your motives. Which of course, is a context in itself.

So basically... balance.