• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eccentricity

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Even still, since there's no palpable form of normalcy, then eccentric doesn't exist, and everyone knows you can't be something that doesn't exist.

All depends on your definition of normal. I was going by normal distribution... that being the mean/average tendency. :)

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Eccentricity is wandering around outside barefoot in one's nightgown after dark.

Crazy people can't help what's "wrong" with them.

Eccentric people just don't give a f**k what "respectable" people think.

This assumes eccentric people are not respectable. Eccentric means different. That's it. If you consistently do your own thing people will say that guy is craaaazzzzzy!. Nope. The rest of the world is craaaazzzzzy! I am the only sane person.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm eccentric. I didn't mean it the way you interpreted it at all, that's just what you projected onto my statements.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Correction: eccentric people just can't figure out what respectable people think. And eventually, with age, come to not give a fuck.

Oh so by "with age" do you mean around 13? Because that was the age that I began to stop caring what the ordered establishment of "normal" people thought of me. As I grew into my later teens and early 20's I actually pushed limits, and now just am.

And I would never say that eccentric people can't figure out what respectable people think. I know all too well what respectable people think, and readily obeyed them as a child - I just don't understand why they feel a need to push their philsophy of living on people who don't agree with them.

It was never a case of not being able to figure it out. I think not being able to figure it out would be more easily attributed to those suffering from mental illness, which is what I meant when I said crazy people can't help it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I dunno marmalade - I can only go by my own experience. But if you figured this shit out by 13 then I just have to say more power to you.

I just think that eccentricity is an innate thing, whilst "weirdness" is a deliberate thing that people do for attention seeking reasons. But people who have neither tend to confound the two.

But I'm drunk - two bottles of wine and... what do I know??

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I'm not trying to be weird for attention, I assure you. I'm 31. I think I did things intentionally in my late high school years to be "weird" for adolescent experimentation reasons, but I am inherently eccentric, even at times when I didn't want to be.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I did that because I wanted my post to remain in the thread and not be moved out into the graveyard and dismissed. That isn't the same thing at all as caring about respectability.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
All depends on your definition of normal.
Oh god I am so tired of hearing that.
When is contemporary popular philosophy going to get over this 'define normal' phase?
Bunch of pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

I think what you mean is that it depends on my perception of the constituents of the current state normalcy.
But even that's wrong, because my perception has no relevance to what those constituents are. I could have counted wrong, but that doesn't change the truth.

Normalcy can be statistically measured. Whichever faction of behavior/belief/whatever has the greatest number of observers is normal. I don't see denying this unless we set a threshold (say 50% of the population) under which there is no such thing as normal except as an idea.

In which case, Victor is right.

Last edited:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I did that because I wanted my post to remain in the thread and not be moved out into the graveyard and dismissed. That isn't the same thing at all as caring about respectability.

Nice excuse, but it still contradicts your point.

They don't move profane posts.

Silly non-eccentric.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I didn't know they didn't move posts with fuck in them. I saw an entire thread moved to the graveyard yesterday, so I'm not sure yet what they do. Of course, my ignorance of this one fact caused you to be condecending, so I'm assuming you're a troll. May I lead you to the flounce expressway?

flounceexpressway.jpg

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I'm not trying to be weird for attention, I assure you. I'm 31. I think I did things intentionally in my late high school years to be "weird" for adolescent experimentation reasons, but I am inherently eccentric, even at times when I didn't want to be.

Well you seem cool to me. My advice?

Don't sweat it. You're cool. for every 10 critics (vocal) you'll have double that defensors, vocal or non. Me, I'm with you :)

edit: I didn't mean so much "figure out" as "assimilate". I can figure out what the normals want, but even if I really, really wnat to give them it, I can't!!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
:cheese:Thanks. It's cool.

Qre:us

with age, come to not give a fuck.

...with experience? Age as a natural trajectory of time affords larger sample pool of such experience(s) to draw conclusions about what the world expects from you, and what, you are willing** to give (up to) the world.

** in whatever self-measurement scale you use to evaluate willing. Some people may use a more and more extreme scale [1, 2, 3 standard deviation(s) away].

Thereby, looking like eccentric to the masses.

Judgement affords us to call it colloquially deviant.

meh.

You do you, I do me.