• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence (EQ)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
88. Isn't that enough for mental retardation on the IQ scale?

I'm emotionally retarded. Heheh.

redacted

I took the test honestly and got 109 or something. But I was thinking -- I knew how to answer the questions in a "more emotionally intelligent" way. Shouldn't your score be indicative of what you understand about emotions as opposed to linked to something behavioral?

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 115
Subscale percentile = 84

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I took it last year and got 100 and thought the score was a joke.

Good to know they don't always give 100.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
What's wrong with that question? How did you answer it?

The assumption is that crying is something that is we either indulge in or retreat from - but there was no "not applicable".

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The assumption is that crying is something that is we either indulge in or retreat from - but there was no "not applicable".

Hmmm, I interpreted that question to mean, "in the case that you feel like crying, do you try hard to hold them back?" If that's what the question means, what other possibilities are there besides either letting the tears flow (indulging) or fighting to hold them back (retreating)?

I suppose you could have interpreted the question to mean, "do you spend a lot of time fighting to hold back your tears?" In that case, the question is about whether or not you feel like crying very often (but hold back the tears). I thought about interpreting it that way, but then decided that it made less sense than the aforementioned interpretation because it doesn't really measure anything. It wouldn't be measuring whether you repress or express your emotions, because people who do either less frequently will both answer negatively to the question. It also doesn't really measure how often a person feels like crying, because those who feel like crying often who don't stifle the tears will answer negatively.

That's why I decided that they must be trying to isolate whether you express or repress emotions with the question, so I should answer how I would in the case that I felt like crying.

LucrativeSid

I took the test honestly and got 109 or something. But I was thinking -- I knew how to answer the questions in a "more emotionally intelligent" way. Shouldn't your score be indicative of what you understand about emotions as opposed to linked to something behavioral?

That's what I was thinking. I didn't read the instructions so I took the test based on what I thought made the most sense. What I actually understand... I thought whether or not I applied my knowledge was the less important port.

That's why my score was so high. 125. If I answered based on what I actually do, not what I understand to make the most sense, I'm sure I would have had a lot more of an average score. It didn't seem like a "What would I do" test. Based on the questions, it seemed like it was just getting at what I understand - my intelligence about the subject. When something says "What's the most effective outcome?", it's hard for me to not take that literally.

I probably won't take the test again, though.

If you don't try to stop yourself from crying, you don't try to stop yourself from crying. That has nothing to do with whether you are actually prone to crying or not.

I chose the, "I don't hold back" option, which is the probably the most emotionally healthy answer. I don't cry, ever, but if I was about to, I wouldn't try to hold it back, and I think that's the point.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If you don't try to stop yourself from crying, you don't try to stop yourself from crying. That has nothing to do with whether you are actually prone to crying or not.

I chose the, "I don't hold back" option, which is the probably the most emotionally healthy answer. I don't cry, ever, but if I was about to, I wouldn't try to hold it back, and I think that's the point.

Wow, you said that so much more succinctly than I did.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I was sitting here thinking "What's the point of crying? It doesn't do anything for you." Until Si went, "You idiot," and then Ti backflipped into a "D'oh!" kind of moment.

...I really am emotionally retarded. -_-

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

But how do you know, since you haven't had a chance to test that theory?

And can you really qualify someone as emotionally healthy because s/he cries whenever the urge strikes? What if that urge happens frequently? I have a friend who cries constantly and I would hardly call him emotionally healthy.

Hmmm, I interpreted that question to mean, "in the case that you feel like crying, do you try hard to hold them back?" If that's what the question means, what other possibilities are there besides either letting the tears flow (indulging) or fighting to hold them back (retreating)?

I suppose you could have interpreted the question to mean, "do you spend a lot of time fighting to hold back your tears?" In that case, the question is about whether or not you feel like crying very often (but hold back the tears). I thought about interpreting it that way, but then decided that it made less sense than the aforementioned interpretation because it doesn't really measure anything. It wouldn't be measuring whether you repress or express your emotions, because people who do either less frequently will both answer negatively to the question. It also doesn't really measure how often a person feels like crying, because those who feel like crying often who don't stifle the tears will answer negatively.

That's why I decided that they must be trying to isolate whether you express or repress emotions with the question, so I should answer how I would in the case that I felt like crying.

All of the questions you posed are the same ones I posed. Our difference is in the conclusion: you think that they must have meant one thing, while I just saw the question as ineffective and vague.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I scored 129. Does this mean my NT card is about to be revoked?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Hate this thing, after giving me errors before I took the test yesterday, I'm done with 100 out of 106 questions, and it gives me a damn error now.

That's what I was thinking. I didn't read the instructions so I took the test based on what I thought made the most sense. What I actually understand... I thought whether or not I applied my knowledge was the less important port.

That's why my score was so high. 125. If I answered based on what I actually do, not what I understand to make the most sense, I'm sure I would have had a lot more of an average score. It didn't seem like a "What would I do" test. Based on the questions, it seemed like it was just getting at what I understand - my intelligence about the subject. When something says "What's the most effective outcome?", it's hard for me to not take that literally.

That's why it's an EQ (emotional quotient) test, it shows how much you know about emotions, not how emotional you are.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Great, now the link is back up but it didn't save my results of 100 out of 106 questions. Now I'm going to have to take this whole thing over. For now, screw this.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Self-report Component
Subscale IQ score = 135
Subscale percentile = 99

i wish there was a more acurate test. a lot of their scenarios are also pretty general and vague...def left up to interpretation.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, no, no!

I was on the last page, the question about the mixture of sadness and happiness, when I accidentally opened my picture folder with a shortcut and when attempting to close it with Alt + F4, the browser closed instead! :cry:

Such a waste of time!
So ironic, as I was just thinking what TheChosenOne must have felt when his efforts came to a fruitless end, while hoping that such a thing wouldn't happen to me.

I have no idea when I'm gonna be motivated again.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it isn't a big deal outsider, you're not missing out ha. i'm pretty sure you'd be in the 90th percentile or something.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Such a waste of time!
So ironic, as I was just thinking what TheChosenOne must have felt when his efforts came to a fruitless end, while hoping that such a thing wouldn't happen to me.

Yeah it sucks. I hope I sort of remember my answers from before though.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
88. Isn't that enough for mental retardation on the IQ scale?

I'm emotionally retarded. Heheh.

Nope, it is 70 at the most (on the majority of scales, may differ by a few points on some scales).

88 is still average/low-average.