• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence (EQ)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
No. :( I got to the 20th question or so. They are too situational and I can already see the pattern in which the points are given and highly disagree with the way they distribute points.

I had the same issue with the test, but I just ignored the logical thought process that told me what sort of results each answer would yield, and just went by how I'd actually feel or act. I think the entire concept of EQ and any method of testing it can be highly skewed, but I also think there are some valuable little indicators of how developed you are emotionally.

I was interested to see if IT's consistently get scores on the low end, though I figured most would be predictably reluctant to take a test centered around emotions and empathy. I was interested to see if a universal scale of emotional development can be applied to ITs (which I think is the case), and if they would be better off with different forms of testing for EQ (which i think may also be true).

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Nah, you are more restrained than me.

But of course it is all relative.

And so I do defer to you in the matter of emotional intelligence.

It's interesting - I defer to Wildcat in matters of morality and you in matters of emotional intelligence.

I think that I do some things differently when I am typing, rather than talking. It just makes me think things through a little more. I am definitely a "heart on the sleeve" type, though. A lot of my high scoring probably has to do with the fact that I am very open, I like to talk and to listen, and I can get along with different types of people. My self-control and decision-making could use some work, though.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had the same issue with the test, but I just ignored the logical thought process that told me what sort of results each answer would yield, and just went by how I'd actually feel or act. I think the entire concept of EQ and any method of testing it can be highly skewed, but I also think there are some valuable little indicators of how developed you are emotionally.

I was interested to see if IT's consistently get scores on the low end, though I figured most would be predictably reluctant to take a test centered around emotions and empathy. I was interested to see if a universal scale of emotional development can be applied to ITs (which I think is the case), and if they would be better off with different forms of testing for EQ (which i think may also be true).

Well, I am most certain that test would put me on the low end scores, but as far as the concept EQ goes I am also most certain I exist in the high end scores.

Ie. most of the questions are clearly giving points to one direction, but I would fit more in the entirely other direction, without being less emotionally intelligent.

Mole

Permabanned
My self-control and decision-making could use some work, though.

You see, you see, you see - how restrained you are!

And see how you under-estimate yourself.

And you see how I esteem your emotional intelligence.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, I am most certain that test would put me on the low end scores, but as far as the concept EQ goes I am also most certain I exist in the high end scores.

Ie. most of the questions are clearly giving points to one direction, but I would fit more in the entirely other direction, without being less emotionally intelligent.

Or maybe you're just not as emotionally intelligent as you think ;) . Not saying that as an attack on you, but rather saying that from a psychological standpoint, people always have a more favorable/positive view of themselves that may not reflect reality. But we may all be more emotionally intelligent than any test may indicate.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty certain if I can see through the entire process of the question and understand it. And even see the patterns of the question and understand what answers yield the most EQ points, that I don't lack 'emotional intelligence'.

I just have an entirely different view of the value of emotional intelligence than this test does. The test seems more for non NT's, spontanious people that operate on pure feeling and emotion. But as an NT, you would say that that is irrational and bold. And as far as emotional intelligence goes, understanding the situation is better then acting on it based on feeling.

Or is the entire point of this test to test how much people rely on feeling? I wouldn't call it emotional intelligence then, but rather emotionality. In which case I am happy to be on the low end. :p

Snow Turtle

Considering that emotional intelligence is broken into several different aspects.

- Intrapersonal skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Effectiveness in business settings.

I'd say that my intrapersonal skills are well above the average person, and I believe that's true for many feelers on this website. I'd even argue that there are plenty of NTs with high intrapersonal skills here (Fluffy being one of them), considering this is a personality based website. Psychology in general will increase awareness within an individual.

Interpersonal skills is a different matter which can be high or low depending on the individual. There are many factors that determine high or low interpersonal skills some which are completely unrelated for example. High empathy would increase this value, but that doesn't mean that a person can connect to other in the "Fe" sense.

Then there's the whole... effectiveness and capability dealing with emotions. For some reason I get this odd impression that someone who doesn't understand their emotions much, but if able to continue working hard by pushing themselves can end up scoring a high value. This is where I got a low score. It's obvious to me that my low score of 90 is a result of this section rather than intrapersonal/interpersonal understanding.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those EQ tests seem biased towards extraversion. I'm pretty sure I have a low EQ. I'm taking one of the tests now. We'll see.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm pretty certain if I can see through the entire process of the question and understand it. And even see the patterns of the question and understand what answers yield the most EQ points, that I don't lack 'emotional intelligence'.

I just have an entirely different view of the value of emotional intelligence than this test does. The test seems more for non NT's, spontanious people that operate on pure feeling and emotion. But as an NT, you would say that that is irrational and bold. And as far as emotional intelligence goes, understanding the situation is better then acting on it based on feeling.

Or is the entire point of this test to test how much people rely on feeling? I wouldn't call it emotional intelligence then, but rather emotionality. In which case I am happy to be on the low end. :p

Since when do non-NT's "operate on pure feeling and emotion?"

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Please excuse me, should have said. Much moreso then NT's in comparison.

Snow Turtle

Those EQ tests seem biased towards extraversion. I'm pretty sure I have a low EQ. I'm taking one of the tests now. We'll see.

It's certainly biased towards EXFJs.

What I really dislike about the concept of EQ is that it's too broad. A person can be extremely aware of their own emotions, have understand about how they feel the way they do, have understanding of how other people feel but because they are depressive and aren't motivated individuals. Suddenly all of the above is thrown out of the window and these people are labelled as low EQ people.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but because they are depressive and aren't motivated individuals.

Or if they're rationals and don't blindly follow emotions but rather grind them through the NeTi-mill first. :p

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indeed, it operates under the assumption emotions mean the same to each individual. It assumes there is only one personality type so to speak.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Indeed, it operates under the assumption emotions mean the same to each individual. It assumes there is only one personality type so to speak.

Well as far as empathy goes, there is only one real answer in regards to being able to determine how someone else feels, and what would make someone else feel better. There is only one correct condition that exists in their minds, or a few responses that will illicit a a more positive emotional state. So you can't really call it bias in that aspect. Either you'd be able to read someone accurately or you wouldn't. Being able to accurately test for that, on the other hand, is the main issue. I don't think an online test can really do justice for determining one's abilities in that area, and may certainly have a harder time of it with ITs.

Still, I think EQ tests are viable GENERAL indicators of some manner of emotional intelligence. Or in another way of looking at it, it's a general measure of propensity for and control over what would equate to extraversion and feeling functions. Thus, healthy/mature Es and Fs would likely score very high, natural/healthy ITs would score low, with less mature examples of both types scoring even lower. In that aspect, it probably doesn't tell you anything you don't already know through MBTI. The fact that some types are less adept with extraversion and feeling than others is well known and predictable. If that is truly what these EQ tests boil down to, then the results ARE accurate. It's just that the measured "emotional intelligence" is limited to a more constrained criteria analogous to the maturity of extroversion and feeling.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to be pretty good at reading someones emotions. Because of Ne I assume.

But, being able to justify someones emotions I would have trouble with, for me, showing empathy therefor is to not put my justified opinion about their feelings to them. But to restrain myself and slowly reach a more positive conclusion.

Doesn't take away that in my mind I might utterly disagree with their reasoning for their emotions.

So what is empathy then? For an ENFP for example, empathy would be to join in on feeling what another person feels. For an INTP it would be to restrain their rationality and allow the other person feelings to cool with guidance.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact remains that I can usually fill in that test to score really high, but highly disagree with the concept of my answers through solid arguementation. :p

You're saying that INTP's can compare to each other in the test, there's more truth in that then the test itself, I agree with that. But I say INTP's should have entirely different questions.

IQ tests are somewhat flawed in the same manner. IQ tests only test a grasp of what forms the whole that is intelligence. But to a somewhat acceptable level, since there is onlu one good answer to the questions.

This EQ test is absurd in every way however, in my opinion. :)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Results:

Subscale IQ score = 111
Subscale percentile = 79