• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you observant?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Also, I hyper-focus on the environment when I'm out. I'll notice all kinds of little things that others don't pick up on, but I won't notice big events or what's going on at public happenings. For some reason, the crow chasing the squirrel in that bush over there, or that SUV driver cursing at the cyclist are more interesting to me than the display or the speaker that everyone else is watching.

Yeah same. I plug into whatever appealing storyline I see as I go along, and sometimes get tripped up or get a feeling of vertigo for a second as I quickly re-assess my ignored surroundings.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
You could pick me up and set me down in a different city, mid-stride, and it would take me a few minutes to realize there was something amiss.

If I'm completely alone in an alien environment, though, I do switch into a certain hyper-awareness, just to make sense of my environment.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I can be if I need to.

Most of the time, I'm not even close. It bores me. I'd rather pay attention to my thoughts. I've almost been run over by automobiles on a few occasions, because I wasn't paying attention when jogging and the people were speeding.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
When you are walking down the street, or in bus, or somewhere... do you stare around and constantly observe surroundings and people? Or do you rather be in your mind and don't look around so much?

Basically, would you say that you are noticeable by your vigorous watching around?

I wonder if NPs have this thing... As far as I know majority do have, but I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Yes, ever since I was a child. Now, when I'm older, I tend to observe less and instead, daydream about some of my fantasies.

I think I'm not noticeable when I observe others and my surroundings because I only move my eyes slightly and I wear eyeglasses, which reflect light.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I really struggle to notice details around me. Even if I'm concentrating hard and somebody's pointed something out to me, I can still be unable to see it. I'm capable of sometimes noticing that friends or colleagues have a new haircut, so I'm not a total lost cause. *hopeful*

If anything's been lying around for more than a day or two, it tends to become invisible to me. Used to drive my ex nuts at times.

Physical details? Not so much.
But people, if I don't have other things to do I occasionally just start observing and figuring them out. It's fascinating the things you can observe from both a psychological and sociological perspective.

If I don't have to run the actual meeting, I love doing that in meetings. Watching the undercurrents, working out what various games people are playing, who is playing at multiple levels, who is naive and being too open etc. Fascinating. I'm not good at reading body language or even noticing it (unless I'm concentrating hard), but I'm pretty good at picking up the unsaid politics.

Trefle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I.....albeit at times I usually tend to sway into my dreamland whenever alone. In bus, in car, during the break, when nature calls, before sleep... Anything when alone. So I'm not a really good observant, albeit sometimes I can be one if needed.

But agreed on observing people. It's fun to notice something unusual and its implication and context. Or bringing imagination into play and creating my own context. I can't say I'm adept at it but noticing them was fun already. Not even counting understanding, exposing, and utilizing them!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm one of those people who will notice that a particular flower in the lawn across the street looks like it's made of rolled wax paper but not notice I'm about to run into a tree.

*shrug*

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I notice everything. Especially body language of people and anything out of the ordinary. It's entirely automatic, and it often scares people when they realize how observant I am. Basically, any change in the environment that could be of concern to me, or any behavior that is not normal/good from people, I pick up unconsciously without even knowing it, and react. It's saved me many times (for example, the one car that wasn't slowing down at the red light, while I was doing 70mph and I instinctively adjusted my speed/course to just miss them as they blew through the light across my path.)

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes. People tend not to notice me, which allows me to play the silent observer. I've found I learn a lot more about people from afar as opposed to face-to-face.

On the other hand, I'll spend twenty minutes looking for the dog's dish sitting on the counter in front of me or I won't see that fire hydrant I'm about to tumble over.

Vildechaya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It depends if I have something more interesting to think about, or not. Usually I do.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, if there's nothing to do besides stare out an open window, I will start out looking at everything and watching what people are doing, but then I get into my own thoughts and although I'm "looking" at something, I'm not really paying attention.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been told I'm observant. I think I can be. However, I think it's mainly due to paranoia. I have an irrational fear of being assaulted/kidnapped/killed/etc. This causes me to pay attention to anyone passing by, or any possible threats, particularly if I'm alone.

It's more of "big-picture" observations. I couldn't care less about little details. I have a hard time remembering what other people are wearing, or even their hair colours. I'm oblivious to things unless I think they could possibly harm me, I suppose.

If I feel safe in some way (like driving in my car, even though I guess that's not technically safe), I can escape easily into my own thoughts.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um not really. I can be pretty oblivious.