• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Phlegmatism - Why?

Snow Turtle

What's up with the low key responses and energy conservation attitude? Anybody with theories for their own behaviour?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
While phlegmatics are generally self-content and kind, their shy personality can often inhibit enthusiasm in others and make themselves lazy and resistant to change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats. Like the sanguine personality, the phlegmatic has many friends. However the phlegmatic is more reliable and compassionate; these characteristics typically make the phlegmatic a more dependable friend.

I am staring for 2 hours now on my beer bottle waiting for it to open up by itself :D

Snow Turtle

Hm. I've been thinking about my essay for the past 5 hours too but entertaining myself with socionics now. T.T Phlegmatism doesn't go well my SJs sense of duty. Still I haven't figured out the reason behind this behaviour apart from the fundamental idea that I just am. Is it biological? Is it psychological?

Would a phlegmatic be able to convience himself that he is chloeric under hypnosis?
Hm. How much affect can hypnosis have on MBTI type. :O

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think its the wrong approach to find the reason to a state. Thats like finding the reason to why the hydrogen atom, is a hydrogen atom. Of course this isnt the best generalization but I cant find any one better atm.

I think you should rather describe in your essay your experience and observations, how phlegmatism is expressed through people. And compare your results to other kinds of temperament. I am not sure if you can find a satisfieing answer to the question why phlegmatism exists. In the end the arguement "its all in the brain cells" will kill any other arguement you can find.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe it is explained in the five temperament matrix. Phlegmatic is dead center in both expressiveness and responsiveness, and has the lowest energy. The highest energy is the compulsive variations of the other four temperaments, represented by extremely high or low scores (such as 0's or 9's together; and in the corners of the matrix).
The temperamental energy moves one either towards or away from people. Towards is extroversion or people focus, and away is introversion or task focus. Phlegmatic, in the center, is driven neither toward nor away, and hence is sluggish, can "take people or leave them" and just tries to conserve a low energy reserve. They also have a dry humor that replaces the more energized angry reactions of the other temperaments.

This diagram illustrates this:
movement.jpg

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its biological, I think. With me anyway, there's just no immediacy to anything with us.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
hah, isfp phlegmacy then. Esfp phlegmacy would make no sense :D

Snow Turtle

Another basic observation/inference...

Phlegmatism occurs within me because I'm constantly focused on what's happening within my mind. Thus I must slow down and also because I'm easily mentally exhuasted by thinking...

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Being a phlegmatic: no point in getting worked up over everything.