• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Empathy and Sympathy??

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If, "Everybody has their own subjective truth. One's truth is no worse than the other pesons truth", then science would be impossible. And even communication would be impossible.

I don't see science as the ultimate truth. I see that what we think we know today (=among the science) is something tied to this time, this knowledge etc. It can be that we are wrong and people who live 300 years from now see how wrong our "science" was.

That is what I meant.

I think what AR and I may see is that we have a very hard time not experiencing both at the same time. Being able to seperate the two things is hard for us, wheareas for other types this may not be true- for jeno for instance.

I agree with you. It's almost impossible to separate those two for me.

My thought-based on a highly statistical n=2 of me and AR-is maybe this a consequence of the order of the functions. Ne-Fi vs others, say Fi-Ne???

So maybe Ne is like a giant funnel for information, vacuum sized vortex sucking in everything arouund it and dumping all that crap down to Fi. At that point it is very difficult to segregate what goes in what pile-the red socks in the red pile, the black socks in the black pile, empathy in the I see your pain pile, and sympathy in the I feel your pain pile. Maybe for us, the Ne dominant perception of another's pain, automatically gets reflected and becomes our own pain-we dont get to take a breather between those two steps perhaps and segregate quite the way the rest of you guys do?

Yes, that could be it. I like the way you wrote: "I feel you pain pile". It's just that.

I can block it and funnel everything straight on down to Te for judging and then I don't feel sympthy and only a weak version of empathy, but I am left feeling hollow and empty if I do that too long. I forget how to feel if I live in that space too much.

I have some learning to with my Te.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't see science as the ultimate truth. I see that what we think we know today (=among the science) is something tied to this time, this knowledge etc. It can be that we are wrong and people who live 300 years from now see how wrong our "science" was.

And how right your are.

Why even today we see a European Physics and a Chinese Physics; we see French Genetics and Russian Genetics; and indeed in open minded Universities today they teach male Physics and female Physics.

So it is only common sense that there is today's Physics and tomorrow's Physics.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Methinks you are confusing current scientific consensus with science itself. Science is about creating ideas and trying to falsify them. Scientific Truth is provisional, never absolute. What is settled consensus now will be considered merely a falsified approximation of a better theory 300 years from now.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And how right your are.

Why even today we see a European Physics and a Chinese Physics; we see French Genetics and Russian Genetics; and indeed in open minded Universities today they teach male Physics and female Physics.

So it is only common sense that there is today's Physics and tomorrow's Physics.

What kind of Postmodernist nonsense is "Female Physics"? :shock:

Mole

Permabanned
What kind of Postmodernist nonsense is "Female Physics"? :shock:

"Nonsense? Nonsense?", no, it's called progress.

We started off with, "Gentelmen", and "Ladies".

And we progressed to, "Female", and "Male".

But progress did not stop here, oh no, we we then majestically progressed to, "Unixex".

But Physics, as you know, is a patriarchal male dominated science, that makes a fetish of logic.

And Physics is so anti-women and so conservative, it is counter-intuitive.

It is so counter-intuitive that only a counter-intuitive man could think of General Relativity or Quantum Mechanics.

I mean just look at the bald facts - not only are most Physicists bald but they are almost all men - women are systematically excluded.

Physics is plainly a conspiracy against women. And progress demanded that Physics become Inclusive.

And I admit we were heavily influenced by the Astronomers who made Astronomy friendly to women by introducing Astrology to the curriculum.

So we felt we could do no less and followed suit and introduced, "Female Physics", to our curriculum.

Vildechaya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My question would be, Why does it matter?
If you think or feel that a situation needs a remedy, do Something... Anything about it . If not, save the tears.