• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stop Thinking!

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
I over think every decision I make lol!!

Including which reference to use for which thingy in my essays at uni... lol

and yes it annoys the fuck out of me when someone else says stop thinking... Why? cos you know it's my life and if I mess up it's my problem while they drive from the backseat without responsibility!

though I do over think...

For a feeler who is crazy about how important it is to include emotions in one decision making process, I'm useless at doing just that lol!

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've been told I think too much and that I "need to stop". I usually joke (although its not very funny :p) that if they thought about it more, it's quite beneficial to think a lot. They usually begin walking away partway through the "...thought about it..." part of that sentance :tongue10:

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
No it's an N or S thing.

well the worst combination would be an NP vs SJ...

They really do just want a decision then and there, after all it should be simple right?

sinnamon

MBTI Type
INTP
One of my pet peeves is someone saying "you think too much." It makes me want to hit them with a brick.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
i get that comment all the time, and variations: "you think too much." "you overthink".

sometimes i'd be telling myself the same: "stop thinking! STOP!"

INTP fault?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

Anyone else find this request/command, similar to "Stop breathing!"? :yes: :doh: :cry:

No, it's worse. In order to follow the request you have to start by thinking. So actually, it's a paradox. A good one, too. Buddhism says the cause of suffering is desire (for change). How does one uproot desire without creating another desire to uproot the primary desire?

...fun stuff.

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
When I'm thinking I look more like Michael Corleone plotting (without the good looks) so people tend to skip "Stop thinking!" and go straight to "This guy is f*cking nuts". The same goes for when I'm done thinking and begin telling people my plans :devil:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I get told quite a lot to stop thinking so much about things. It's gotten to the extent now where one supposed ENFP is in stitches cause every part I buy for my PC gets researched to high heaven. People seem to think that if they request me to not think so deeply it'll help somehow and I'll be more decisive and less confused. Little do they realise it only leads to me being confused faster as I consider the many ways of reducing the amount I think only to realise that I'm now thinking more about how to reduce the amount of thinking I'm doing than I was before I started to try and give up thinking!!!

snegledmaca

I have never had that said to me. Or I have forgotten about it. Regardless, I find that sentiment as saying more about the other person then me, I'd most likely ignore it.

For some reason, people like this (buttinsky types) in my offline life assume that I do not think and that I am "lights on no one home", flatline when I am really thinking, so I never get this version of this.

People usually give me the "snap out of it and wake up!" version. ;)

Ha, funny, it's the opposite for me. Apparently when I'm just "relaxing" like that I appear to be in deep contemplation. Which I find amusing.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I say to myself many times "start thinking". ;) It's because I tend to go with the flow and use mostly my gut feelings when deciding on things. I would need to use more my methodical thinking (if I am even capable of such) but it's so tiresome. :doh:

I think it's best when two (or more) people balance eachother by mastering different things (one thinking, other something else) and that's how the best result is reached. Team work! It's also useful to develop one's weak functions (but as I said it's very tiresome and I'm quite lazy).

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Anyone else find this request/command, similar to "Stop breathing!"? :yes: :doh: :cry:

I used to get this ALL the time, but not so much any more. Probably has something to do with the fact that these days I spent most of my time around other people who also think a lot, so instead I get things like "That's good, it shows you're always thinking" or "It's good that you think about things properly" or "it's so nice to talk to someone who isn't a robot enslaved to habit and routine".

In fact even my parents, who were sorta my arch enemies in the regard of saying I think too much, are gradually beginning to rely on, rather than criticize, my habit of thinking a lot. It's quite funny actually, I've sorta become the family guru... :laugh:

Actually, probably because of my position, the average Joes I come into contact with also wouldn't criticize me for it, but would rather be glad of it and rely on it. It's expected.

But yeah, as a child and teenager and in my early 20's I was frequently told "you're overthinking it" or "overanalyzing". Probably because at least half of the time back then, I was. Perhaps what's changed is that I've figured out better now what needs heavy thought and what doesn't, and how to apply my thinking to the most 'profitable' or pertinent topics, rather than randomly and helplessly overanalyzing everything to the point of near-paralysis. I've learned to be able to break myself out of the analysis loop by asking myself "Yeah, but what are you gonna do about it?"

I think people only tend to worry about how much you think if they see that it's all you seem to do. All thought no action can be just as bad as all mouth no action! :D

I've chilled out a lot :)

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
my thoughts on how much to think about something is this...

the only way to know how much thought something needs is experience. people often breeze through things that they really know nothing about because they have not had the experiences to suggest that more consideration is needed. also, people may tend to do the same to things they have experienced if there was no consequence great enough as a result to provoke them to do otherwise.

once there is great enough consequence to pique a change in time/attention committed to perceive, a person will do so.

basically, your brain is thinking a lot about something for what it considers to be a good reason, although there is certainly room for error in that regard. :)

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I tell myself to stop thinking all the time, but so far it has been impossible for me. All I do is over think, I can't shut my brain off for bed without the aid of sleeping medication. My mother constantly berates me for over thinking situations, it's this problem that prevents me from getting a job. I'm workin' on it though. :')

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

As an INTP I know exactly what you mean. I think about thinking about thinking. Sometimes it makes my head spin. I get mentally fatigued.

Meditation helps if you want to stop thinking. That is in fact the goal of meditation. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing to start with. Or an imaginary third eye. It takes practice, but it helps a lot. There is an increasing amount neuroscience research that confirms the positive effect of meditation. Think of it as kind of defragging your brain. What happens is that our short term memories get overloaded with all the crap of our daily lives. This causes stress because short term memory is not well adapted for this information overload.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

I hate being told not to feel.
I've been hearing that all my life, mostly when I'm depressed.
Some well-wisher will ask me why I'm depressed. I'll start telling them. They interrupt and say, "Don't feel that way."

Well, wouldn't that be peachy. Thanks for the great advice. Wonder why I didn't think of it. :shock:

When they say that, it makes me feel even worse, and even more alone.
If only they could say, That's awful. I've felt that way before. I know how it feels.
And be quiet and just let me talk until the real problem surfaces, and I can deal with it.