User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Stop Thinking!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've never heard anyone say I think too much. I think that there isn't any such thing, because learning and discovering new perspectives is always worthwhile in my book. If anyone said it, I would just say "No, I don't want to stop thinking. You have no right to demand that."

MBTI
    INFP

Probably the best riposte would be to say "Sorry, I'll try to stop", and then respond to every subsequent question with a variation of "Burrrrrrrrrrr?", "shooodoofoosdffs", "minidininianananana" and light drooling.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    my responce (whether voiced or not) is "then entertain me!"
    Or "make me!"

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    yupp

Sometimes I'll forget I'm thinking, and my mind will begin to think about how wonderful it is not to be thinking. Then I'll relize that I'm still thinking, I'm just thinking about not thinking.

I realized that probably made no sense. I'll try to explain to you what I mean. Lets say you're sitting their letting your mind drift, not really focused on one particular thing at the moment. You imagine different scenerios,one of them is total blankness and you imaging blackness in your head. But it's not a bad and evil blackness, it a good and calm one. You have no real thoughts except "It's nice to not be thinking for once, I wonder how long this will last." Then you get in a philosophical debate with yourself about nothing and how doesn't exist, but it does because it exists as an Idea. But ideas aren't physical so it can't exist on those terms.
    Last edited by prplchknz; 08-31-2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: I make no sense.

heart on fire

There is almost never a time of day or night that some thought(s) is not running through my mind, it is very hard for me to clear my mind completely.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Is that what you mean ygolo? There are also people who just like to be deep in thought and others just can't imagine what they're thinking about. In that case they are often scolded for not doing anything 'useful'.

I'm not certain if this has happened to me a significant number of times. I'll have to think about that.
    I think you may have a point. Perhaps it is not just a P/J think but rather P/J, E/I and S/N thing. Ironically the command to "stop thinking" has little to do with T/F though.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    There are also people who just like to be deep in thought and others just can't imagine what they're thinking about. In that case they are often scolded for not doing anything 'useful'.
    It's more like this. I actually don't have much of an issue with indecision.

Quote Originally Posted by Naem View Post
    These usually come from the same kind of people that say, "Smile! It's not that bad." I look at them for a few seconds with my undivided attention and they edit that out of possible things to say to me in the future.
    Yup. That seems to be true. Usually, they are frowning themselves, while I am just expressionless.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Probably the best riposte would be to say "Sorry, I'll try to stop", and then respond to every subsequent question with a variation of "Burrrrrrrrrrr?", "shooodoofoosdffs", "minidininianananana" and light drooling.
    Excellent suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Sometimes I'll forget I'm thinking, and my mind will begin to think about how wonderful it is not to be thinking. Then I'll relize that I'm still thinking, I'm just thinking about not thinking.

I realized that probably made no sense. I'll try to explain to you what I mean. Lets say you're sitting their letting your mind drift, not really focused on one particular thing at the moment. You imagine different scenerios,one of them is total blankness and you imaging blackness in your head. But it's not a bad and evil blackness, it a good and calm one. You have no real thoughts except "It's nice to not be thinking for once, I wonder how long this will last." Then you get in a philosophical debate with yourself about nothing and how doesn't exist, but it does because it exists as an Idea. But ideas aren't physical so it can't exist on those terms.
    Have this happen to me also.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    There is almost never a time of day or night that some thought(s) is not running through my mind, it is very hard for me to clear my mind completely.
    Same here. I think the only times are when I am asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think you may have a point. Perhaps it is not just a P/J think but rather P/J, E/I and S/N thing. Ironically the command to "stop thinking" has little to do with T/F though.
    Yes. I have seen it used in all sorts of contexts. It is most sruprising when it comes from an INxP friend of mine.

Probably the clearest translation in my life is "Stop being/sounding intellectual/philosophical." Even though I'm certainly not trying to sound or be a particular way.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

...I never get that. Rather, I get the opposite.

"THINK, Jennifer."

"USE YOUR HEAD."
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I hear that sometimes, and I liken that comment to "dont try so hard".

Last time I assumed just that and replied that I think automatically, and it requires no effort to get done. We got sidetracked from the main topic, but the conversation continued nice and fun. My comment did slightly upset one ESFJ in the same table tho.

Wonder what might have offended him? Perhaps he thought me as boastful, and that people DO need to think about thinking in order to think, in his opinion. I'm not like that. I need to think about practical things, which some other types just do straight away. I can forgot myself in a book or web forum for hours before noticing I have to do something practical. Sometimes when I do notice, I postpone the action.

I feel that comments to stop thinking are an invasion to my true self, even tho it would sometimes be useful. I have trouble sleeping unless dead tired, because my thoughts keep me awake.

People need to know that expressing my thinking is natural to me, so they won't try to stop it. People are after all sensible enough not to force people into molds they dont fit into.

sammy

Thread necromancy, yes, but wow... I hear "Stop Thinking" all the time!

It's become such an issue now that I prefer not to share my thoughts with people previously close to me. It hurts because those same people once valued my analytical abilities quite a lot, in fact, it's what attracted them to me in the first place! That I was willing to discuss issues in a calm fashion instead of resorting to overreacting... alas, trying to be someone you are not or suppressing parts of yourself doesn't work for long either so those friends have gone on the back burner of my priorities in life. :/

It's funny though, because people especially say it when I'm in the process of analyzing point by point in a completely non-emotive manner, how they have used/abused/maltreated/misunderstood/etc me. Can't seem to handle the truth of issues when they're delivered in a way they cannot resolve with a simple tissue paper handed over or a hug :rolli: