• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fear of Rejection

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I may not be an NT, but I'll answer this anyway. For me, rejection hurts not because the other person rejected me but instead because I set certain standards for myself and when I don't meet those, I become upset with myself. Basically it's almost a perfectionist philosophy, even though I wouldn't say I am one. But at times, I feel like I want to do everything better than everyone else. You can see how this can cause stress.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I just find it safer to expect the worst, as I get disappointed less that way.

Wise man say "There is no fear when one expects to be betrayed. What's truly terrifying is when betrayal is unexpected"

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think (hehe, sometimes I try) there may be some type dependency here. Do you really want to try and out think it? I can out think it and saveguard against it but if I do so I also safeguard against the potential happiness as well. It's not one or the other, they go hand in hand. It seems to be like a two way tunnel. But again this may be an enfp or maybe just a puppy thing...
I don't have to safeguard against it. I honestly don't feel it. I'm not afraid of being rejected. I've experienced just about every kind of rejection going and it's not such a big deal to me. In fact, I prefer to push people to reject me then for me to have to reject them. Because I know most people can't deal as well as I can with it. I identify much more with what FMW was saying about fear of acceptance. I really don't like to fit in.
It's pretty interesting, I agree. I think blue likes to keep people at a distance because that's where she can play with them. She needs a degree of anonymity in order for her humor to work effectively, because it involves a lot of teasing, which sometimes gets expressed as debating (same resistant "energy"). Victor, on the other hand, is more sensitive and derives more enjoyment from feeling close to people. So one pushes while the other one pulls and their relationship remains unstably stable.
Cheers, doc.
I play with people who know me intimately too. Victor alienates people with his weird, self-indulgent digressions. Who is he close to on this board?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey Jennifer! I agree with you that many T/F folks get along fine with one and other, but must admit there are times when it doesn't go so good.

I have been called an "overly analytical selfish bastard" for responding to an F's questions in my default T manner. I take the abstract, break it into pieces, rank order them, and then decipher the details of each. I don't mean any harm by it, but Jee-Whiz it pisses some F folks off! :doh:

Part of this could be S/N differences too though, the part about going from abstract to detail...

Oh, definitely, there can be issues. :) I think I still have some scars from various T/F skirmishes over the years.

I just think some of the issues here stem from other things.

It caused me to sabotage myself. I would do things to make people reject me. In my opinion, I did it so I could be in control of the rejection... because of the intense fear of the pain of rejection... Since I was so sure I was going to be rejected eventually, I wanted to at least be in control of when I got rejected. Stupid... when you think about it. But even though I KNEW... AT THE TIME... that I was sabotaging myself, I couldn't stop myself.

I identify with that a lot.

With me, it was that it was the ambiguity that was freaking me out. I was tired of investing in an unknown quantity and constantly being afraid they would one day dump me as soon as I did or said the wrong thing.

So i felt a strong compulsion to just shove on them as hard as I could and be completely exposed, so then they'd be pushed into the spot of either dumping me or sticking to me, and then I'd KNOW... and the fear could go away and I could either let them go and move on or finally know they really loved me and trust them.

Someone who would love me unconditionally,
and not let me push them away,
would earn their way to my "eternally devoted to you" list.

Yup, when I yelled, "GO AWAY" I really meant, "please, don't leave me."
Screwed up, but that's what it is.

And yes, when I've vetted someone and I know they love me, I am fiercely loyal to them.
I don't take such things for granted.

I never need someone to FIX my problems.
I already know what to do... usually.
I need someone to validate my feelings.

Yup. I usually can figure out what to do all on my own.
I just want to heard... and loved.
To know I'm not actually as loathsome as I've felt sometimes.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I'm writing this with a small to moderate level of bile/adrenaline that came out of nowhere at the first tap of the keyboard while writing this post. The reason for this could be immature Fe but i'm leanin on 5w4. I'm seeing simularities between bluemonday and myself. I am also well aware of our history.

So if i may.....Hi bleumonday:hug:

Last edited:

Snow Turtle

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand. I find it unsual that most of the poster on this topic have been NTs so far. Where are the feelers? I'm sure this fear ties in much more easily and has a larger impact on actions.

Fear of Rejection plays a large part in my life, to the extent where I'm crippled by it. Intellectually I understand this, emotionally I can't get my head around it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^
I’m particularly interested in NTs perspectives

Are you trying to dispel the stereotype that Sensors are observant?

Last edited:

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Oh, it honestly depends. Rejection itself isn't so bad; it's the wondering stage of "so are we good, or are you making fun of me" that sucks. My closest friends have had a short stage of that--so short that it never bothered me. But people who hold off on being honest with me make me nervous, and there's less chance that we'll become good friends. I'm not good at superficial conversation.

...I think this answers the OP? Maybe?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Oh, it honestly depends. Rejection itself isn't so bad

Exactly. Why worry? What's to be gained by bickering. I'm intrigued anyone has the time. You're a long time dead.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, normally a lot of people know when I consider a girl - and the girl knows it, herself. I prefer talking to the girl before considering engagement, so basically I have little to fear out of rejection - the namesake, perhaps.

... I'm more interested in how it goes 'when' we're in a relationship.

I feel girls (or women) generally know how much they want out of a guy before determining to reject him, so there's no point in validating a rejection when a discussion hasn't taken place prior to it. That's the way I see it.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
It's not the same thing. Fear of intimacy is tied up with fear of losing autonomy, of losing identity, of shutting off other options, of being exposed. Fear of rejection is more primitive, as Victor has suggested, it stems from a survival mechanism. You can outthink it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you.

That said, it seems a blur to me when a fear of intimacy becomes a fear of rejection. I am pretty sure the main reasons for having a fear of intimacy can be broke down into a fear of betrayal, abandonment, and rejection in some way.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It caused me to sabotage myself. I would do things to make people reject me. In my opinion, I did it so I could be in control of the rejection... because of the intense fear of the pain of rejection...
Since I was so sure I was going to be rejected eventually, I wanted to at least be in control of when I got rejected. Stupid... when you think about it. But even though I KNEW... AT THE TIME... that I was sabotaging myself, I couldn't stop myself.

Interesting, I know a lot of people will sabotage themselves because of their fears but my desire to be accepted by those I admire is stronger than my fear of rejection so I don't push them away I just pull myself back a little and observe. Makes it particularly sucky when I'm dealing with someone who pushes people away.

I need someone to validate my feelings.

Doesn't have to be feelings they validate but something needs to be :yes:

Sometimes do you find that fear of rejection sneaks up on you and prevents from doing something on a subtle unconscious level or are you always aware of it's effects?

Not really, besides holding back when I'm not sure of how others will react, it's more that it becomes something I'm aware of and then need to try to understand why. Thing is when fear of rejection/exposure holds me back it means I'm going against what I want to do, I can't help but be aware of that.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, fear of rejection is based on the perceived notion of being untalented.

For example, I never submitted my artwork into a gallery for fear that it wouldn't be accepted, creating a downward spiral for me to fall in.

I fear making a fool of myself. Though, ironically, it doesn't really bother me when I'm joking around -- i.e. I'm not afraid of making a corny joke.

But when it comes to things that I find (or once found) important, I paralyze myself in fear.

sculpting

For me, fear of rejection is based on the perceived notion of being untalented.

For example, I never submitted my artwork into a gallery for fear that it wouldn't be accepted, creating a downward spiral for me to fall in.

This sounds familiar except for me it is with respect to feelings and emotional ties. I don't bother even trying because the rejection (even perceived) is painful. I just dont bother participating at all.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Cheers, doc.
I play with people who know me intimately too.

O RLY? I didn't notice! O WOW!

Victor alienates people with his weird, self-indulgent digressions. Who is he close to on this board?

Eh. I'd defend him if he got into a fight at a bar. To be honest, I'm not really close with too many people either, and my digress -- OMGI'MVICTOR.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Fear of Rejection...

Ok my brain scattered in twenty directions when I started reading this post so I guess I have to break it down to make even a little bit of sense.

Fear implies that I'm scared of what someone's answer might be. Usually I don't care much one way or the other what someone thinks of me, the things I do, create or enjoy unless they are already close to me (IE Family, Close Friends or a Romantic Partner). Not caring (maybe 'caring' isnt the right word... maybe not letting others' opinions determine my actions?) what others think tends to make it hard to be afraid of what they might say or think.

If there is someone I'm trying to impress, maybe a potential boss or someone I'd like to try some savvy INTJ flirting with (How YOU doin? :newwink:) there may be a kind of anxiety wondering what they perceive in me, but I'm not really afraid of it because ultimately it won't affect my personal sense of 'self'. At the worst case it could make things more difficult if a bad reaction works poorly in my 'plan' :doh: and I'd be forced to reconsider my options.

Rejection is ... exactly where my thoughts take off in all directions. I find myself thinking "At what point? In what kind of situation? Group rejection? Relationship rejection? Long term/intimate disclosure rejection?"

I have no problem giving my phone number to a stranger if I think he's cute, although my intentions may be completely hidden by extremely poor flirting... I once gave a cute guy who helped me with my car a business card of mine and told him I'd fix his computer for free if he ever needed it. :doh: In this type of instance I figure what the heck, its a stranger that I'll probably never see again and if he rejects me, doesn't call, or throws my number on the ground like toxic waste, I haven't lost anything. I don't take it personally because they don't know me personally.

Rejection gets trickier when you get into relationships that matter. Over the years I've determined that its easier to work in a job environment where I more or less 'fit in' and get along with everyone, so I work hard at maintaining a peace with my co-workers and stay friendly with them all, even if it is difficult sometimes. (Office door comes in handy a lot) If I were to be rejected by the group it wouldn't necessarily make me insecure... it would probably result in me trying to find another job though where I could fit in easier. (Probably why I've ended up in the IT world with the other computer dorks :D ) In this instance, it actually matters what people think because it directly benefits my own happiness and longevity at my job. It isn't a personal thing, just a 'this needs to be in place for me to be able to focus on work' kind of thing.

Relationship rejection is harder still. When you're in a new relationship, everyone (consciously or not) tries to put their 'best foot forward'. You don't necessarily want to show everyone what a weirdo you are on the first date, right? I gather from what others say that it takes me a very long time to open up, and even longer to trust someone. If, at any point before the 'trust' stage, the other person rejects me I figure its their problem, not mine and that we just arent compatible. BUT! Let that rejection come after I've already opened up a lot and they know a lot about me, where each little tidbit that I've revealed to them came at the expense of losing a piece of my own carefully constructed and guarded walls... you'll see a completely insecure, F driven mess. THAT kind of rejection shakes me to the core and I start kicking myself, thinking surely I should have seen a sign somewhere to tell me, warn me that this person was not worthy of knowing such intimate things about me. I replay events, conversations and try to decipher the code so that 'NEXT TIME' I'll 'know'.

:shock:

juggernaut

Permabanned
I don't really have a fear of rejection. What I have is a fear of disappointment. I know I will, invariably, find myself feeling let down in some way so I just avoid the whole mess in the first place. As an NT it's pretty easy to rationalize the whole process.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I’m particularly interested in NTs perspectives but anyone can chip in.

I'm wondering how big of a role fear of rejection plays in your relationships and what it stems from. NTs are notorious for withholding their deeper feelings from others and can take a long time to truly open up but shut down in a matter of seconds if the other persons reaction is unexpected or unwanted.

So what does it take for someone to get you to open up? What role does fear of rejection play in your relationships (not just romantic ones)? And how is this linked to your self image?

Intresting, I always thought intp to be the least likely to think about opening up.

I cant really contribute to your question though. I quitted on opening up, its to taxing.