• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Giving up coffee

nanook

a scream in a vortex
fruit juice is evil. unless you can refrain from drinking a liter of 100% juice a day.

edit: i have read that fructose creates diabetes faster that equal amounts of industrial sugar. in my personal experience, drinking a liter of ananas saft every day for a month makes me gain a lot more weight than drinking 1.5 liter of cola. (of course both is bad, especially for concentration/add issues)

Mole

Permabanned
fruit juice is evil. unless you can refrain from drinking a liter of 100% juice a day.

Yes, you are right - fruit juice is largely water and sugar.

So I have invested in a Vita-Mix blender and in it I put the whole fruit.

So I get all of the flesh of the fruit and the seeds and the nutritious skin.

So I get the pulp and the juice and all the vitamins and minerals.

However blended fruit can become too sweet so I add some leafy green vegetables, and perhaps some nuts and sprouts, and even some oats and yeast.

And so it is delicious and nutritious.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I guess it's a question of changing my habits.

Margaret Mead said, "It is harder to change your diet than to change your religion".

And it's true.

So I am giving myself the best chance by giving up one habit so that I can replace it with another.

I agree with Margaret. :)
So you're going to replace drinking coffee with the habit of drinking juice.
Juice can be very bad for you teeth. Do you know that?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
you cant be serious about NOT replacing habits with better habits.
human life is a habit. improving that habit is life as well.

a glass of blended stuff must be a good thing...

i wish they would sell vegetable juice that is not based on tomatoes, because i cant deal with them. mild allergy or something.

Mole

Permabanned
Um, may I ask - why???

As a little boy in boarding school, on my free afternoons I would buy a double malted strawberry milkshake and very slowly sip it as I read a nineteenth century novel, like, "The Mill on the Floss".

And I think from this time on, reading while I eat became a security blanket for me.

The advantage is that I enjoy reading while I eat. And the disadvantage is that I am not mindful of what I eat - so I am inclined to eat anything.

And to create a new habit takes 21 days.

But during those 21 days, you must be consciously forming the habit - you must be mindful.

But after 21 days the habit become second nature and there is no further need to think about it - that's what habits are for.

And who knows, after 21 days, I might go back to eating and reading. But I find I am enjoying forming a new habit. And I am enjoying being mindful.

So who knows, perhaps I will form the meta-habit of being mindful.

Mole

Permabanned
I agree with Margaret. :)
So you're going to replace drinking coffee with the habit of drinking juice.
Juice can be very bad for you teeth. Do you know that?

Yes, I don't drink juice. I drink blended whole fruit and vegetables in a powerful blender.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
So who knows, perhaps I will form the meta-habit of being mindful.

Ah. Something I can relate to - I had to do the same thing, but in very different circumstances and different reasons. Good luck with it then :)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Woah, dude. Talk about totally different worlds... it's like you're a total alien to me! :huh:

Most of all, the part where you said "switched to making my own coffee in the mornings"!! Do you guys do anything for yourselves over that pond any more?? :laugh:

Though, that sorta "all or nothing" approach is quite familiar to me from my own semi live in ISTJ... he tends to be the same. Either he allows himself something and then just totally gorges on it to unhealthy levels, or he "tee totals" it and has none at all. He just doesn't seem to get the concept of moderation. Or he gets it, but just oddly doesn't seem to possess the self-control of a Labrador sitting next to a bowl of steak when his master's back's turned... I say "oddly" because to all appearances and in most other things he appears ridiculously disciplined... but to my mind he's not... discipline that can't withstand a trial isn't discipline is it? I sometimes enjoy winding him up about that. About how actually, maybe me, the sloppy extravert and lazy laid back P to boot, you know, I'm more disciplined than him in fact and have stronger willpower, cos I can pick something up, have fun with it, then put it down again, whilst he doesn't seem to be able to do the putting down part until after it's destroyed him, hahaha :)

/ramble

I hate you. That last paragraph is one of the biggest problems in my life. I have an all or nothing approach to things that I really like. I have to make a strict plan to be able to handle moderation. Maybe this is just something I need to work on some more. It's part of being more P, I think?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Um, okay... in short, my time spent in monasteries in training for monk-ness, under strict but loving tutelage... taught me to be more caring about other people, more disciplined, organized and more dutiful than ENTP's are typically reputed to be. Had to develop lots and lots of new habits to replace older, bad ones, and by all accounts became a better person for it. Certainly a happier person, at any rate. Still lots of room for improvement of course...

I hate you.

LOL! :)cry:) :D

Yeah it's definitely something that needs working on, I reckon, I can't imagine living like that, a slave to "the flesh" as it were... where it's got my buddy is obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes, needing so many pills to keep him alive that he virtually rattles when he walks at the age of 42, because even though for YEARS everyone, doctors and friends and family, was telling him to for god's sake have some self-control, he just didn't do anything about it. It's like once he establishes a precedent, he just becomes enslaved to the routine of it, and can't break it. Weird (really, ultra weird to my mind), and sad at the same time. A cautionary tale to be sure.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Um, okay... in short, my time spent in monasteries in training for monk-ness, under strict but loving tutelage... taught me to be more caring about other people, more disciplined, organized and more dutiful than ENTP's are typically reputed to be. Had to develop lots and lots of new habits to replace older, bad ones, and by all accounts became a better person for it. Certainly a happier person, at any rate. Still lots of room for improvement of course...

LOL! :)cry:) :D

Yeah it's definitely something that needs working on, I reckon, I can't imagine living like that, a slave to "the flesh" as it were... where it's got my buddy is obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes, needing so many pills to keep him alive that he virtually rattles when he walks at the age of 42, because even though for YEARS everyone, doctors and friends and family, was telling him to for god's sake have some self-control, he just didn't do anything about it. It's like once he establishes a precedent, he just becomes enslaved to the routine of it, and can't break it. Weird (really, ultra weird to my mind), and sad at the same time. A cautionary tale to be sure.

I think that's a rare case. Has he sought professional psychological help?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that's a rare case. Has he sought professional psychological help?

yeah but only after the horse has bolted, as usual... pre-emptive action has never been his forté...

(edit - yes I know he's a rather more extreme case than usual, but it's more useful that way as a cautionary tale, I reckon - more obvious!)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
yeah but only after the horse has bolted, as usual... pre-emptive action has never been his forté...

(edit - yes I know he's a rather more extreme case than usual, but it's more useful that way as a cautionary tale, I reckon - more obvious!)

How close are you to him? I wonder how your arrogance is affecting him.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
How close are you to him? I wonder how your arrogance is affecting him.

haha, touché my friend ;)

Though of course I know arrogance is an issue for me (though I'm not the only one), this isn't an example of it - in this case I think what you're reading as arrogance is actually just exasperation borne out of having my nerves and worry-cells flat out on his account for the last ten years... plus probably a bit of misunderstanding as to my sense of humour :)

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, coffee is a subtle addiction.

And without suspecting a thing, coffee starts to think it is time to leave home.

Too funny! But, for me did not hold true. Once, I accidentally forgot to write on a freezer baggie that the coffee in it was decaf. I took it to work with me, and for the life of me could not figure out why I had horrendous migraine headaches every day. As soon as I recalled it was decaf and had regular coffee again, they went away!

And, you do have to be careful as to what you 'replace' an addiction with...I tried to get off coffee and switched to tea...I now have a tea addiction as well! :cheese:

Good for you for being able to make such a significant change! Juice is good for you!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
haha, touché my friend ;)

Though of course I know arrogance is an issue for me (though I'm not the only one), this isn't an example of it - in this case I think what you're reading as arrogance is actually just exasperation borne out of having my nerves and worry-cells flat out on his account for the last ten years... plus probably a bit of misunderstanding as to my sense of humour :)

You can't deny you have a "holier than thou" attitude. It comes with being an ENTP, I guess?

I just also meant that the way you come off talking about it, your take on the situation could have adverse effects on his ability to cope and adapt. However, it's relative to your emotional attachment to him.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You can't deny you have a "holier than thou" attitude. It comes with being an ENTP, I guess?

I just also meant that the way you come off talking about it, your take on the situation could have adverse effects on his ability to cope and adapt. However, it's relative to your emotional attachment to him.

Wait, so I said I've got more self discipline than a) someone I acknowledged to be an extreme case of lack of it and b) the stereotypes of my type, and that I've learned the hard way through outside help how to be better than I was but that there's still room for improvement, and that you've misunderstood my sense of humour, and all of a sudden I'm arrogant and holier than thou? Doesn't take much for you to take against someone does it? :huh:

edit - but you may have a point all the same, it's worth considering. thanks.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Wait, so I said I've got more self discipline than a) someone I acknowledged to be an extreme case of lack of it and b) the stereotypes of my type, and that I've learned the hard way through outside help how to be better than I was but that there's still room for improvement, and that you've misunderstood my sense of humour, and all of a sudden I'm arrogant and holier than thou? Doesn't take much for you to take against someone does it? :huh:

edit - but you may have a point all the same, it's worth considering. thanks.

If it makes you feel better about the argument, then yes, your comments to me did make me feel like I could be doing better with my decisions. However, your last few posts make you come off as talking down to/about him and thus, "holier than thou."