• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"How does that make you feel?" I don't know!

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I wrote this same thing in my blog just a week ago, Edahn.

Well, not the exact same thing, because that would be uncanny and, frankly, scary. But the same sentiment. ;)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hah! I'm the same way Edahn. I know what a typical person ought to feel in a given situation, but I have no idea how I personally feel. Not because I don't feel anything, but because the feelings are inarticulable. I got accepted into the program... I should be happy, glad... instead I give myself a mocking smile and wonder about how many others also gotten accepted and how slack the acceptance criteria might be. Is that bittersweetness? Not really... Too many "emotions" all mixed up. I have difficulties describing it to myself let along to somebody else.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
1. Are you naturally aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?

I feel aware of my emotions all the time, but that does not mean I always pay attention to them, or give them their space. If you were to ask me how I felt at any given moment, I suppose I would almost always have an answer for you.

My feelings are like water beneath a canoe - sometimes the waters are calm, soothing, content; sometimes turbulent, exciting, challenging. Occasionally they seem almost overwhelming; other times I ride them with exhilaration.

2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what you're feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?

Yes; I guess if I were to quantify emotional shades, I would say there are hundreds that I might distinctively label or recognize, and there are even new ones I've never "seen" (felt) before the older I get. There are many nuances, but common themes.

3. How would you go about improving your ability to identify your feelings?

I write. I meditate. I sit with them and try not to push them away (but I must admit, I push them away too often when not convenient and you generally have to pay for that later.)

I think it's important to realize that you can't make yourself feel something. I want to feel happy instead of sad sometimes, and I can make a conscious choice to elevate my spirits, but there is no magic wand that will create a fabulous moment. You must just let that happen and be open when those great moments arise. They are almost spiritual.

I'm quoting myself because I have to ask the OP:

Does this sound like I'm speaking a foreign language Edahn?

For the posters in this thread, does this sound whacked, or familiar?

NF's - do you relate? Reading through the posts, it seems my experiences with emotions are in a (small) minority.

I am curious, responses welcome!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An inability to articulate certain feelings can result from various causes. On the one hand there is a lack of awareness of any feeling, but on the other hand a person can be aware of so many different shades of nuance that it becomes equally difficult to define. Outwardly these can be described as the same thing while inwardly quite opposite.

If I'm overwhelmed by something than it is difficult to communicate it. If I'm in an analytical mode then it comes more naturally. If I'm experiencing it I struggle more than when I'm in observation mode.

Mole

Permabanned
This thread is important to me as it shows me I respond differently to those in touch with their feelings and those out of touch.

In fact with those out of touch I feel reserved, even mildly alarmed.

I have tried to rationalise my feelings about those out of touch. But perhaps I have no need to rationalise, all I need to do is accept they are out of touch.

Except it is like they don't speak the same language as me.

It's like I am talking to an entirely different animal.

Yes, I thought I was a bit paranoid with those out of touch. But perhaps I was right. And just as they are out of touch with their own feelings, they are out of touch with mine.

This is a bit scary. And so I will hide my feelings from those out of touch.

My worst nightmare is a whole group dominated by those out of touch. And I belong to such a group, it is called the Eastlakes Football Club.

I have at times called them the club for boofheads, even to their faces, but they looked at me with benign incomprehension.

But I fantasize about a club for those in touch.

I thought Personal Growth Centres might be the answer.

Ah, but a club for those in touch - a thought to conjure with.

I wanna be a conjurer.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
This isn't really a rant, but a question for people.

I have incredible, incredible difficulty labeling my feelings and experience, which is somewhat strange because I'm very good at labeling other things (usually abstract) and take joy in it, too. I was seeing a therapist a while back who would occasionally ask me "how do you feel right now?" I had absolutely no idea. The only feelings I can clearly identify are sadness and infatuation which have very distinct psychological and physiological features. The rest I'm terrible at.

I'm curious about a few things.

1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?

maybe he wants to know whqat occupies youyr mind.
and you are incapable of generating a response because ytour brain is zoned out at that moment. There is a way to percieve everyt moment, but there is no way to feel or think every moment. I am sure of this.

But then again I would also say that I am pretty much a feeltard like you.:yes:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?

Yes I'm very well aware of my feelings. I usually know why I'm feeling something. I'm also very well aware how people around me are feeling and with the closest ones I usually can guess why they are feeling that way.

2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?

Yes I can. I'm very good at it. I can identify my feelings and usually am good in discriminating between different feelings. How many shades: I guess endless amounts of shades of feelings. I would say that my feelings are on a scale for example from 0 to 100 (not necessarily like that but just to give an example). Like anger, it can be totally overhelming 100% anger or just little bit of being anger very shortly to something/somebody.

I've been also told that I'm good with recongizing my emotions by a psychologist and that I have really good self knowledgement. I know myself very well. ;)

On the other hand, because of recognizing other people's emotions, I'm not in my best place as a people leader because the emotions of others get stuck on me too. So, I cannot keep myself away from other people's emotions and that is very difficult when the athmosphere is terrrible for a long time. I get emotionally drained in those situations.

I think the best way is to hook up with somebody who can teach you. I mean, I've been doing this a long time with my husband who is not in touch with his feelings. I ask him why he is feeling something and after asking he usually recognizes his feelings. I think it has helped him a little bit but I guess he will never be totally awesome with his emotions. ;)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's ironic isn't it, to be able to identify emotions in someone else when they themselves do not recognize them.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

1. I'm usually aware of base line feelings like; Oh, I'm tired, I'm freaking nervous, I'm content.
I've usually got two or three (maybe more) layers of feelings going on, not to mention I'm Extremely empathetic, like a freaking sponge to other people's feelings.

2. I often have take time to sort out my feelings from other peoples, which is why I often come across as not knowing how I feel...It's particularly bad if I'm around someone who experiencing a strong emotion. It's definitely an art for me blocking other people's emotions....It's gotten easier as I've gotten older. I generally don't talk about this much as people think I'm loopy...Emotions to me are like a language, so I often have "translate" , but they are like colours and images too. I think that's why I fancy myself a writer. It takes time to translate it all out into everyday language, so unless I have time to myself (which I need A LOT of)....I'm only aware of the top level, the ones that cause physical sensations.

3. As mentioned above I need time alone away from others, so I can sort out my feelings from others. I write a lot, I paint and draw a lot.....I rest a lot...If I'm fit and healthy, I can block other people's feeling with little trouble, but if I'm tired, it can be a snow ball effect, and I loose the plot.

As for what I'm feeling right now? Do you really want to know?

It may also explain to some exactly why I hate feeling so much. Because I FEEL so much, for myself and everybody around me.

G

garbage

well

I guess I'm aware of my feelings like I'm aware of my surroundings. They're definitely there, and I have a good general notion of them, but I'm usually only aware of the fine details when I pay attention to them.

It's only been recently that I've really started to pay attention to them, though.. I'd always just convinced myself that I wasn't in touch with them and left it at that. As I've started to pay attention to them, I've noticed that I can tell how I'm feeling more and more without paying direct attention to them. And it's only been until very recently that I've been able to accurately trace them back to root causes. Now I do a pretty good job of all of it.

Edahn, they made this for kids like us...

I'm pretty sure I remember this being the first exercise I was given by a therapist. I think it was actually useful, being able to "see emotions" in something else. The next step might be to try to recognize how other people are feeling at any given time, which might help you get in touch with your emotions.

Edit: on second thought, I don't know if 2 axes are enough. A lot of these feelings are also not emotions at all (cold).

Some of them (hungover) have physical components that I would leave out. HMMM.

I think you answered your own question ;)

Mole

Permabanned
It's ironic isn't it, to be able to identify emotions in someone else when they themselves do not recognize them.

It is ironic, isn't it?

But I wonder about your small uninhabited island where they cook dinner for you every day