• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"How does that make you feel?" I don't know!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This isn't really a rant, but a question for people.

I have incredible, incredible difficulty labeling my feelings and experience, which is somewhat strange because I'm very good at labeling other things (usually abstract) and take joy in it, too. I was seeing a therapist a while back who would occasionally ask me "how do you feel right now?" I had absolutely no idea. The only feelings I can clearly identify are sadness and infatuation which have very distinct psychological and physiological features. The rest I'm terrible at.

I'm curious about a few things.

1. Are you naturally aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?
3. How would you go about improving your ability to identify your feelings?
Edahn, I am exactly like you when it comes to feelings! :hug:
I don't know either... unless it's quite profound for some reason.

I'm not that good at being in touch with my feelings, or naming them.
I really love it when someone is patient enough to ask me questions and
let me talk until I can get in touch with what I'm feeling.
If I'm feeling bad, but I don't know why, it usually takes about ten minutes to figure out why.

I love people like Jennifer who can name the feelings I'm feeling.

I was under the impression that it's the fault of Tertiary Fi that I am so out of touch with my feelings.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I'm not feeling any particular emotions one way or another, I don't think I should be expected to have an answer to the "How are you feeling?" question.

If I try and force out an answer, I just have to take a super vague hint of what might be a feeling or notion, and expound on it until I can use words to describe it, and by then I'm just trying to label things that aren't there.

So I don't think I'm hiding from emotions. I certainly experience them. I just think that my emotions aren't doing much of anything a lot of the time, so they usually aren't pronounced enough to be made readily apparent to me.

yea, this.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I know generally, my feelings don't sneak up on me. But usually I don't even feel like I own my feelings, they're just there. I'm like, oh, Exasperation is here for dinner. Oh, Disappointment wants to go to the movies next weekend. Where's Joy and Elation? I haven't heard from them in a minute!

That's a really interesting way of looking at it. I can see how that can be pretty beneficial, actually.

Frustrated>powerless>unappreciated>underrated>dispensable>trapped
optionless

Is this what you mean?

Wow. I don't even know if that's what I mean. LOL. All I can say is that when I tried to dissect anxiety a while back, I noticed that I experience things more as specific needs or specific fears/images.

Mole

Permabanned
The greatest gift a parent can give to a child is to listen to their feelings.

And the greatest curse a parent can give a child is not to listen to their feelings.

For when a child's feelings are heard, they will be able to listen to their feelings as an adult.

But if the child's feelings are not heard, they will not be able to listen to their feelings as adults and they will blindly act them out.

And parents who act out their feelings rather than listen to them, are unable to listen to the feelings of their own child.

And the child is unable to feel painful feelings or pleasurable feelings.

And they may turn to drugs or violence or become unfeeling robots.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I always think that analyzing my feelings more would give me more of a vocabulary of feeling. Similar to schoolwork, if I would just concentrate long enough on how I feel, I would be able to discriminate between the different shades of feelings. I have a sort of dull awareness that something like, say, sadness comes in different flavors and gets tinged frequently by other emotions. I have just never taken the time to find out what those are and analyze the differences between them.

I do the same thing, but I think analyzing and detaching just takes me even further away from my feelings and leaves me at a loss to explain the feeling I could have sworn I just had, because I effectively rationalized it to death. Maybe it's counterproductive.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In which case, you could just say, "I'm conflicted." It's better than, "I don't know." :smile:
For me... "I'm conflicted" might be a lie in some cases.
I know what feeling conflicted feels like,
but I wouldn't say that every time I don't know how I feel is it because I'm conflicted.

For me it's actually a case of "I don't know."
BUT... if someone wants to wait a minute and let me think about it, I will tell them how I feel.
It's just that my feelings are not always at the forefront.
I have to go dig them up... un-bury them, as it were.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The greatest gift a parent can give to a child is to listen to their feelings.

And the greatest curse a parent can give a child is not to listen to their feelings.

For when a child's feelings are heard, they will be able to listen to their feelings as an adult.

But if the child's feelings are not heard, they will not be able to listen to their feelings as adults and they will blindly act them out.

And parents who act out their feelings rather than listen to them, are unable to listen to the feelings of their own child.

And misery is passed from parent to child.

Excellent post.

Why do you think this "For when a child's feelings are heard, they will be able to listen to their feelings as an adult" is true? Because children learn to communicate with and identify their feelings early on?

Victor, can you identify when you're feeling nothing special, or are you always feeling SOMETHING identifiable?

ring the bell

I definitly relate to what you are saying. I find myself to be sort of blank in regards to my immediate environment most of the time. I kind of instinctually act in a certain way towards people or situations. I might, for example, just not like someone but I really have to think it over to understand why. I do think a lot about people and things and try to understand interactions, motivations, etc between myself and them or just the world in general. But I just don't feel a strong emotional attachment to most situations. This has caused me problems in dating. I've been content and therefore happy with someone, yet I don't really express it freely nor do I spend a lot of time trying to get to the root of how I'm feeling while I'm in the moment. I only realize the depth of those feelings, after it's all ended and I've been told that I"m emotionally distant and I'm trying to understand where it all went wrong.

So I guess in the end, I am a thinking type. I feel, yes, but I don't focus on that unless I go looking for it. More than anything, I just naturally analyze it all, look for connections. I analyze the world around me, just trying to understand how other people think and why they do what they do. I do pick up on other people's feelings much more than my own. I spend quite a bit of effort trying to rationalize it all, maybe because my own feelings are such a mystery.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I do the same thing, but I think analyzing and detaching just takes me even further away from my feelings and leaves me at a loss to explain the feeling I could have sworn I just had, because I effectively rationalized it to death. Maybe it's counterproductive.

Yeah, this is exactly what ends up happening. But I really don't know of any other way to be consciously aware of feelings...how does one "realize" what one is feeling but still feel it at the same time? It seems like once the light bulb goes on, the feeling goes away.

Mole

Permabanned
Excellent post.

Why do you think this "For when a child's feelings are heard, they will be able to listen to their feelings as an adult" is true? Because children learn to communicate with and identify their feelings early on?

Victor, can you identify when you're feeling nothing special, or are you always feeling SOMETHING identifiable?

It's more that I am aware of my feelings bubbling within me, but I am constrained sometimes by those around me.

So my constraint is not an internal one but an external one.

So this might be a clue to what 'seeing-eye' dog would complement me.

I have found I have fallen in love with very extroverted socially confident women.

So my 'seeing-eye' dog would have excellent social skills. And so would be a socially-skilled dog who could alert me to the opportunities and traps in society.

And unsurprisingly my socially confident lover is usually out of touch with her feelings. So I also act as her seeing-eye dog, only a feeling-eye dog.

So we both complement one another.

Until she starts to think I am not socially confident enough and I start to think she is not feeling enough - it's a bit of a merry-go-round.

But both of us are forgivable because neither of us know what is going on. We just do it instinctively, unknowingly, blindly.

But with a bit of luck and with a bit of help, we slowly wake up and start to see and feel.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If I asked you to tell me right now how you are feeling, what would you say?

A little sad, a little uplifted, and stretched thin. Lonely, perhaps?

Very interesting. How many different shades of anger or anxiety or sadness or happiness can you identify? Can you describe some of the distinguishing features of each shade?

I don't count them. But I could go into happiness and a few shades of it.

Different kinds of happiness cause different effects and penetrate at different levels. They mingle with other emotions, too, as I'm sure you might have noticed, which makes it hard to distinguish between say: bittersweet and melancholy.

Bittersweet is just as it sounds. It's appreciation for something, tinged with regret. Or gratitude mixed with disappointment. Joy with loneliness. It's saying goodbye to something that you're not sure you want to see go. Like watching your childhood and realising that that part is over or was never there to begin with.

Melancholy is slightly different. It encorporates the same mixture of "happy" and "sad", but it's more like a sadness that feels good. Like a mixture of pain and pleasure...which it is, in a way. Sometimes it feels like the cold pain-pleasure you get if you orgasm too many times in a short time period, or press on a nerve too hard and it starts to tingle. It's rainy days. It's the odd cool stillness where there's a quiet "drip, drip, drip" of an imaginary faucet inside your head. Sometimes you want it to go away so you can stop feeling so heavy inside, but there's something about the sheer depth of this feeling that makes you want it to stay a while...it's not often a feeling penetrates right down to your core. (Can you tell I have a little more experience with melancholy than bittersweetness?)

On the other end of spectrum, there's overwhelming joy and revelation.

Both are heady emotions, and quite similar.

Overwhelming joy is happiness to the point of tears. It's relief. Sometimes it's living vicariously through someone else. It feels like a carbonated drink that's been shaken up. It bubbles and froths and spills over onto other people. It's disbelief mixed with exictement. It's the moment where the world ceases to be real and becomes precisely what you hoped it would be, at least for a moment.

Revelation draws on the same uplifting qualities of joy, but instead of bubbling and frothing, it swells like a wave and crashes inside of you instead of spilling over. The world becomes sharper, clearer, more real as opposed to less real. There's the distinct impression of walking through and around reality as if you are inside and outside of it at the same time. Like Neo when he realised he was both inside and outside of the Matrix. It is relief also, as a problem has suddenly been "completely" solved.

Very very cool. I did something like this a while ago but not for every feeling, just anxiety. I did notice a few different prominent thought patterns -- self-critical, deprecating, dissipating -- but the feeling was generally the same, some feeling of generalized dread.

There are a lot of patterns you start to see, especially if you do automatic writing. It's almost disturbing to see what's really troubling you when you're not looking.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
If I asked you to tell me right now how you are feeling, what would you say?

Um.... neutral? Content I suppose. But not really sure.

And now after a few minutes of thinking:
I don't really have much of a mood currently. I am feeling vaguely content, slightly bored, and slightly impatient.

L

Lasting_Pain

1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?
2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what your feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?

The answer to all those question is................................. Dude, I am an INTP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, this is exactly what ends up happening. But I really don't know of any other way to be consciously aware of feelings...how does one "realize" what one is feeling but still feel it at the same time? It seems like once the light bulb goes on, the feeling goes away.

I don't know, maybe when we first notice a feeling, we're suppose to ride it out and indulge in that mindframe, instead of taking a step back to understand it. And then if the feeling can snowball enough, it would be pronounced enough to better understand.

But I'm not sure if that would work, and maybe it would intrude on self-control.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Another observation:
When trying to identify how I feel, what I'm doing is essentially drawing out my emotions, rather than identifying them. In my normal mode, they are buried and don't register consciously at all. So I unearth them.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
1. Are you naturally aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?

I feel aware of my emotions all the time, but that does not mean I always pay attention to them, or give them their space. If you were to ask me how I felt at any given moment, I suppose I would almost always have an answer for you.

My feelings are like water beneath a canoe - sometimes the waters are calm, soothing, content; sometimes turbulent, exciting, challenging. Occasionally they seem almost overwhelming; other times I ride them with exhilaration.

2. When you do call attention to it, can you identify what you're feeling? How good are you discriminating between different feelings? How many different feelings (or shades of feelings) can you identify?

Yes; I guess if I were to quantify emotional shades, I would say there are hundreds that I might distinctively label or recognize, and there are even new ones I've never "seen" (felt) before the older I get. There are many nuances, but common themes.

I write. I meditate. I sit with them and try not to push them away (but I must admit, I push them away too often when not convenient and you generally have to pay for that later.)

I think it's important to realize that you can't make yourself feel something. I want to feel happy instead of sad sometimes, and I can make a conscious choice to elevate my spirits, but there is no magic wand that will create a fabulous moment. You must just let that happen and be open when those great moments arise. They are almost spiritual.

4. What am I feeling right now?

I feel perked up and interested to post in this thread; a little anxious about an upcoming funeral; annoyed that my neck hurts from sitting at the comp all day, and also vaguely dissatisfied wasting my time posting instead of doing something more productive, like work on my business goals.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Edahn, they made this for kids like us...

feel_small.gif

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Naturally? I dunno. I’ve made a point of being able to recognise and label my emotions at any given time so I can change them if they are negative/harmful/non productive, I don’t think it’s natural though. Most of the time I’m in a neutral to positive state so don’t bother, it’s when I feel frustration, anger, boredom etc that I notice and label somewhat instantly.

I don’t tend to concentrate too much on the feeling more the cause, I’m a lot more interested in prolonging good feelings and stopping bad ones then understanding precisely what I’m feeling, if I know the cause then I can do that easily.

Noticing your reactions, catching yourself when you act out of emotion and questioning why. Spend time writing down what’s going on to better understand the deeper causes.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
1. Are you naturallly aware of how you are feeling throughout the day, or only when you call attention to it?

The answer to all those question is................................. Dude, I am an INTP.

What does that mean? That you don't know how to answer a few simple questions?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Edahn, they made this for kids like us...

feel_small.gif

This is cool.

I can't help but want to sort this into some kind of grid. I tried, and was thinking I can do it with 2 axes: one for anxiety/surrender, and the other for sadness/happiness. Some of them (hungover) have physical components that I would leave out. HMMM.

Anyone else want to try and sort these?

*gets to work*

Edit: on second thought, I don't know if 2 axes are enough. A lot of these feelings are also not emotions at all (cold).