User Tag List

View Poll Results: Generally what's your first internal reaction to unsolicited praise about appearance?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • (swoon) Hey, don't stop there, keep going!

3 8.11%
  • You know, I could really start to enjoy this!

9 24.32%
  • Okay, I'm flattered... but I'm *really* trying to get something done right now... so please move.

20 54.05%
  • How transparent! Go away, pig!

5 13.51%
123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default For Females: Unanticipated Flattery

Question for females:

How do you feel when you're just going about your day [i.e., are not trying to look attractive or get any attention] and a man unexpectedly says, "Wow, you're really good-looking / cute / gorgeous!" or makes some other comment about your appearance?

Is this generally a welcome thing, or does it become bothersome after awhile, or.... Well, what's your perception?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I become suspicious about their hidden motives since I do not associate those things with myself. Well maybe that's not very fair to the OP... I'll replace it with qualities I do have. Infrequent compliments are well received. Do it too often I get embarassed.

MBTI
    INFP

Always anticipated

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I can't say I have experienced what you are asking in the OP so really I have no idea how I would respond.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I work with the public so things like that happen on a regular basis. I go to work looking professional not sexy. It's always disturbing though having a husband standing behind his wife winking at you or giving you the twice over. I don't mind occasional flattery. I dish it out to others from time to time too. I just think it's important that you don't come off as creepy.

(I wanted to add too-never lick your lips at a strange woman-it's disgusting and never a good idea! If you feel that urge coming on let it go!!)
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

All right -- to expand a little, how about in welcome threads or "What We Look Like" threads?

There, I suppose you have more control over how you present yourself and whether you even bother, so you're prepared for a potential post like "OMG UR so HOT!" or whatever else.

Does it ever get old after awhile, or does it feel like people are just reacting to what you look like, rather than "you" per se?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Question for females:

How do you feel when you're just going about your day [i.e., are not trying to look attractive or get any attention] and a man unexpectedly says, "Wow, you're really good-looking / cute / gorgeous!" or makes some other comment about your appearance?
    When a complete stranger says it? I ignore them and move away. There isn't any reason I should stand out to that extent. With complete strangers, someone taking a double look, looking at my eyes and smiling is welcomed. I guess the feeling of being obligated or pressured to respond is not welcomed.

When someone I know or am in a conversation with compliments me, I usually appreciate it. Even if a cashier says, "nice weather... la dee da... followed by a light compliment", I would appreciate it. I'm with L4BNU about being turned sick when a guy who is clearly 'with' a woman is eyeing me. I usually confine my eye contact and communication to her in that case. I will not compete with my looks or sexual attention. I'm quite open and accepting of sincerity from men or women in social and sexual matters.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It doesn't happen real often and when it does, it really depends. If it's not creepy, it can be a nice little lift, but I'd rather be complimented on something I value more and put more effort into.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infp

First internal reaction? Dread.

MBTI
    INFP

NLA
    Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-12-2007 at 01:59 PM.