User Tag List

View Poll Results: Generally what's your first internal reaction to unsolicited praise about appearance?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • (swoon) Hey, don't stop there, keep going!

3 8.11%
  • You know, I could really start to enjoy this!

9 24.32%
  • Okay, I'm flattered... but I'm *really* trying to get something done right now... so please move.

20 54.05%
  • How transparent! Go away, pig!

5 13.51%
First 5678 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think that would be a roundabout compliment, if the term existed.
    A backhanded compliment is an insult disguised as flattery.
    I agree with booyalab.

The intent is actually direct, it is just presented in a lower pressure manner to not put someone on the spot.

I was confused when you used the term backhanded, because a lot of guys do that to try to make the girl feel insecure. It's a definite tactic used, which unfortunately can also work.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-12-2007 at 02:22 PM.

MBTI
    INFJ

Do you have any examples of good ones? Because the ones you gave would make me freeze up cold.

I don't think pretend-unintentional compliments work for me unless they're extremely well-designed. I can't imagine I'd assume it was unintentional because I'm always hyper-aware of what I say myself. It'd just feel like game-playing to me, and I hate being forced into a role like that.

MBTI
    INFP

Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-12-2007 at 02:22 PM.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think that would be a roundabout compliment, if the term existed.
    A backhanded compliment is an insult disguised as flattery.
    isn't that a fronthanded compliment? ._.

MBTI
    eNfP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

The worst backhanded compliment I ever received was from a client who said out of nowhere, "if you had blue eyes, you'd be a knockout!", I had no idea how to respond, but I was not amused. I think I wrote it off as an older gentleman who was grumpy & had no social skills. Does that qualify?

But in general, I don't mind at all receiving "non-leering", genuine compliments. I have friends that have been really sweet & classy about it, & the same would apply to an acquaintance. I get pretty embarrassed though & don't know how to respond, but I like it secretly.

Part of it must be me currently in the thick of motherhood, I appreciate being seen that way.....I remember when I was single, I was more defensive about it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

A first time compliment is sort of uncomfortable for me. I immediately point out something that's wrong with me (appearence wise) that day (I'm trying to stop that...bad habit...and it's not at all how I feel about myself. Most times I'm quite pleased with how I look but I think because I'd rather be complimented about something on the inside rather than the out compliments about my external appearence slightly unnerve me.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    Most times I'm quite pleased with how I look but I think because I'd rather be complimented about something on the inside rather than the out compliments about my external appearence slightly unnerve me.
    :0 it makes me feel like they're about to take advantage of me
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
    The worst backhanded compliment I ever received was from a client who said out of nowhere, "if you had blue eyes, you'd be a knockout!", I had no idea how to respond, but I was not amused. I think I wrote it off as an older gentleman who was grumpy & had no social skills. Does that qualify?
    I hate comments like those.
    once at my first job, i was about 16 or 17, i was wearing these platform sandals which i don't normally do because i'm already a decent height and i don't like being 5'11", and this female coworker says "that's a good height for you".
    WTF? are my arms so disproportionately long that they hang down to my knees? do i have a huge head? a long torso and stubby legs?
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP

hahaha. it's a very bizarre comment indeed. unless the platform sandals made you look more attractive in some way (they tend to do that)