• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hyperfocus and the hunter vs. farmer theory.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The hunter vs. farmer theory is a hypothesis proposed by Thom Hartmann about the origins of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), that these conditions may be a result of a form of adaptive behavior. Hartmann notes that most or all humans were nomadic hunter gatherers for many thousands of years, but that this standard gradually changed as agriculture developed in most societies, and more people worldwide became farmers. Over many years, most humans adapted to farming cultures, but people with ADHD retained some of the older hunter characteristics.

A key component of the theory is that the proposed "hyperfocus" aspect of ADHD is a gift or benefit. The theory also explains the distractibility factor in ADHD individuals and their short attention span, along with various other characteristics, such as apathy towards social norms, poor planning and organizing ability, distorted sense of time, impatience, and impulsiveness. It is argued that in the hunter-gatherer cultures that preceded farming societies, hunters (presumably mostly men) needed hyperfocus more than gatherers (presumably mostly women). Hartmann speculates that this gender difference is reflected in the fact that ADHD is diagnosed in over twice as many boys as girls.
Hunter vs. farmer theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hyperfocus is an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, separate from objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or autism spectrum disorder.[citation needed]

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out."
Hyperfocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Science: Did hyperactivity evolve as a survival aid for nomads? - life - 10 June 2008 - New Scientist

What do you think about it? It's a very clean and convenient theory.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...it never even occurred to me that i might be add...because i don't have any "problems" really but...wow if that's what it means...i do...i think.

edit: also...very interesting theory and i wonder if it correlates at all to blood type...does it...at all or is that silly...i mean supposedly type o is the hunter gather type so presumably older...but...how would that even work...i don't know...thinking out loud never mind.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ok, I understand how he came to these conclusions...and I can see how they support the nomadic lifestyle...but short attention span, poor planning, impatience, and impulsiveness don't strike me as good traits in a hunter.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
okay...it never even occurred to me that i might be add...because i don't have any "problems" really but...wow if that's what it means...i do...i think.

edit: also...very interesting theory and i wonder if it correlates at all to blood type...does it...at all or is that silly...i mean supposedly type o is the hunter gather type so presumably older...but...how would that even work...i don't know...thinking out loud never mind.

I haven't heard anything about the blood o correlation, but a lot of stuff came up in google about it. Supposedly had to do with diet.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Ok, I understand how he came to these conclusions...and I can see how they support the nomadic lifestyle...but short attention span, poor planning, impatience, and impulsiveness don't strike me as good traits in a hunter.

Think about if Michael Phelps, instead of swimming in races, was hunting for large fish....

The short attention span and impatience of someone with ADD doesn't apply to the hyperfocus part of the theory, which is about when people with ADD and autism experience intense concentration for a period of time.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't heard anything about the blood o correlation, but a lot of stuff came up in google about it. Supposedly had to do with diet.

right...that's where i got that information. i'm type o and supposedly should eat like a caveman...which made me think i have traits from the hunter gatherer you know...and...maybe that was somehow related...but i have no idea why or how.

Tomb1

Hartmann's theory has no predictive power. It's value is purely explanatory, so interesting but not useful, a fascinating opinion about ADHD amounting to not a kernel of knowledge about ADHD.