• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is maturity?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
...and what makes a person emotionally and psychologically mature?

Do you live up to your own standard of being mature?

Food for thought:

Psychologist B.W. Roberts explains that in an explicit model of personality, one's personality must be viewed from both the perspective of the actor and the perspective of the observer. Therefore, one's maturity is not measured solely on how he views himself, but by how others view him as well. By this definition, how an individual feels about himself is no more legitimate than how others feel about him, and so it is important that this individual gains a certain level of maturity as he grows older to earn the respect of others.
Source

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
When I saw the name of the thread the first thing that popped into my head was: "realizing that the world does not revolve around you" - which is kinda what it says above. I agree, btw.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I think maturity, for me, stems from really seeing reality for what it is- no sugarcoating. At the same time, it's being able to make a subtle difference, because we do what's from within.. that and Dr. Robert's description. I believe relationships are a 2-way street.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
When I saw the name of the thread the first thing that popped into my head was: "realizing that the world does not revolve around you" - which is kinda what it says above. I agree, btw.

wait, I'm sure I'm no where near mature and I don't know the world doesn't revolve around me,.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Not passing assumption as fact. At best, not internally. Today it is anyway. Tomorrow it will be recognizing others feelings. Or could it be the one who knee jerks is the immature one.

T

ThatGirl

Only read the thread title. Maturity is holding yourself personally acountable for your own choices and actions.

D'Artagnan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I see maturity in direct opposition to selfishness (whether this is psychological or physical). That is why responsibility and maturity are often seen as the same trait - 'responsibility' as a state where others needs come first. I think this is where problems arise, as social responsibility is often confused with maturation.

Social responsibility is a changing cultural value (e.g. voting, recycling) and has little to do with personal selfishness. A person may conform to social responsibilities but in an everyday situation may solely look after own needs; intimidating, manipulating and using others - taking more than they give.

What this means is that people who do not conform to dominant cultural values (not working a 9-5 job, taking illicit substances) will not be seen as 'mature' by society at large. I suggest measuring maturity is not whether you act 'mature' or not, but if you consider yourself as someone who 'gives' more than they 'take'.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Sense of responsibility is the first thing that comes to mind. Though responsibility for what is vague, it would be more about responsibility for one's own actions.

But also, maturity seems to come with age, so even then, some degree of experience I guess implies maturity--being learned and learning.

And then looking at the quote the OP added, I guess maturity requires an ability to interact with the rest of society in a healthy way, despite whatever problems you may have with other people and other things beyond one's self.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I would also like to add, to be mature is also to be able to look at ourselves, smile, and still be a kid at heart while taking responsibility for our own actions so that we remember where we came from in order to be true to who we are?

I think it's important to balance it out with a sense of humor so that we also remember to enjoy life. ;D

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My first thought was that it's the ability to defer or even forgo gratification.

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5
...and what makes a person emotionally and psychologically mature?

Do you live up to your own standard of being mature?

Food for thought:

Source

Mature is the same as it is in biology. It's growing. You can be a playful obnoxious asshole and still very mature.

Jokes are immature when they're simple and not much intelect is put into them. Jokes are mature when they're designed my sophisticated and strike out to a larger audience, or the audience they're targeted to finds them exceptionally funny.

Emotional maturity means you can understand your emotions and other well back up with decision making skills that give you your desired result [even if it's pissing people off or irritating them.].

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm with Viv on this. Understanding yourself, and the world. That probably goes with the dictionary meaning too, which is "reaching an advanced stage of mental and emotional development."

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't think if I like the word maturity, precisely because it's a concept that when applied to you is also being defined by everyone but you. Maturing is becoming better and is dependent on your definition of 'better'.

I think I will never fully mature according to some people's definition. "Coming to terms with society", for example, is not always beneficial imo.

My first thought was that it's the ability to defer or even forgo gratification.

That's called "stamina" or "skillz".