• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Studying and music

Do you enjoy listening to music while studying/concentrating and whats your MBTI type

• NFP - music

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • NTP - music

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • NFJ - music

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • NTJ - music

• STP - music

• STJ - music

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • SFP - music

• SFJ - music

• NFP - silence

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • NTP - silence

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • NFJ - silence

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • NTJ - silence

• STP - silence

• STJ - silence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SFP - silence

• SFJ - silence

• Total voters

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoy listening to music while studying, but because I'm bored, not because it truly helps. I have a hell of a time admitting to myself that I focus better in silence.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoy listening to music while studying, but because I'm bored, not because it truly helps. I have a hell of a time admitting to myself that I focus better in silence.

I can relate so hard on that.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, I've been thinking about that we have two groups of people. First group need absolute silence when studying, while the second group enjoys having loud music during studying, and often can learn better with music.

I have a theory that it has something to do with auditory vs. visual thinking. You know, auditory thinker needs silence so his thoughts are not disrupted, while visual thinker is not disturbed by the noise.

What do you think? Do you need silence to concentrate or music is welcomed for you?

Interesting. And, as a visual thinker, I tend to get visually distracted very easily when trying to study. I almost have to have music playing, preferably electronic music with a constant rhythm, that helps to channel my thoughts into a cohesive manner, but have someone pass by my visual periphery, and my attention is pulled away from my subject, even if just briefly, it is.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I just write my own music :D

But being at least half-serious...I don't like listening to music when I am intensively studying, for this very reason. I find it to be very distracting.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The only way I can listen to music while studying is if it's something with absolutely no vocals and very little variation in intensity. If it has either of those, the music is just too distracting and I can't help but pay attention to it.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I cannot listen to normal music while studying. Too distracting and disturbing from my focus.

I either need silence, or Binaural Beats and Isochronic Tones to help me focus. Which I suspect hardly anyone here has even heard of.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like all sorts of music while I work and study. Certain songs I really enjoy can distract me though, because I just want to sing or dance lol.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How can NFPs listen to music while reading words on a page of a (probably boring) textbook? Maybe they're the chosen ones after all.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I always learn in silence. Otherwise my learning turns mostly turns into listening of music ... and I don't do any real learning in that scenario.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Music! Silence "invites" to check the surrounding and get distracted. I have a hard time concentrating, so I started trying anything I could to force myself to stay in my seat. Music did. Now it's like a habit: if I have my headphones on, I have to make an effort to stand up.

About the music, whatever keeps me entertained. Yes, I'm a visual thinker, and as an introvert who doesn't give a crap about the real world, it's easy to isolate oneself from the "outer" noise. When doing creative things, I listen to highly emotional (for me) music, songs I can ing out loud and act with my face. When studying, I generally use music I already know to avoid the Google searchs, and it's often a whole discography of one band whose music is more or less the same, so my brain doesn't think about It.

But to be honest, I'm the master of multitasking: I can read while listening to music while talking on the phone while checking that the food is not being vurnt while thinking what I have to do tomorrow. I got used to that since little. In fact, the nore hings I have in mind, the better I can perform them.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't listen to music while I'm studying. I can't have anyone talking to me. It's just distracting either way, like trying to put in something I enjoy with something I seriously hate doesn't work for me. Even if it's soft background noise or classical music or whatever I'll still zone out and stop making the studying the primary thing I think about. I also catch myself holding a pencil and tapping it up and down the air during lectures thinking it'll somehow help me focus, but it doesn't ever.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesn't make much of a difference to me. I had a very one-track mind when I was studying or doing homework, so music would easily fade into the background. I'd play some of my favorite metal albums while completing tasks and not even notice that they ended if I was in the middle of something.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
See, this is hard. If I'm in the right mindset, I'll turn on some Lofi music for studying and it's like the whole world shuts off and I can actual focus on my studies and feel intelligent. But after awhile the slow beats make me feel locked in my body, and it's like I gotta move! Which is a shame, because it really does help me concentrate. Which is why I usually listen to more upbeat music. So for studying, I usually like the silence. As much as I like music, music at the wrong time makes me feel muffled.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't concentrate with any music while I'm studying. At most I can listen to a podcast, but if I'm reading for leisure and the music suits the atmosphere, I love it. I remember reading The Hobbit and listening to this on repeat at the part where Bilbo encounters Gollum, and it made it feel so much more intense.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I prefer to have music while studying or working; If I'm very involved in what I'm doing the music tends to fade into the background and I don't notice it as much. The exceptions are if I'm trying to write and I'm having a hard time wording something or if I'm reading. I used to be able to read and listen to any type of music when I was younger, but I can't do this anymore.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need noise. I think it is environmental though. My family has like no quiet moments. So I get used to studying amongst noise. So then I can't concetrate without noise.

Bacopa

MBTI Type
intj
I can't study with music or people talking. I don't have enough focus to filter out the external data